BC Boards

How widespread is rescuers hate for breeders?

NRhodes

To go back to the issue of US rescue groups are importing hundreds or thousands of dogs from other countries into the US, ergo there must be no overpopulation problem in the US; this is poopy logic. Right now we have several hundred rescue groups who are importing US DOGS into Western Canada because the US has such a huge overpopulation problem, and we don't. This is the same poopy logic, as we have plenty of overcrowded shelters where dogs are routinely euthanized for space. Our metropolitan shelters may be relatively empty, but go a couple hours out of Metro Vancouver or several hours up North and the shelters are teaming with dogs that can't find homes.

People import dogs from other countries because it's sexier - AND EASIER - than rescuing from shelters at home. Shelters in, for example, California or Arkansas will send dogs to Canada by the literal truckload because they want to alleviate their overpopulation problem and would like to send those dogs away rather than kill them. Rescues import them because it's easier to convince someone to adopt a little dog that was "going to be gassed in a kill shelter (!!!!)" than it is to convince them to wander on over to, say, the shelter I work at, where we often have more dogs than kennels. Adopters really like to tell people that their California chihuahua was rescued from certain death in the nasty American shelter, but the dogs in Canadian shelters are safe because we "don't kill dogs" which is by no means true.

Our shelters are also not full of "unadoptable" dogs (ie pit bulls, rottweilers, big black dogs etc). In the last 10 months I have had more pugs and puggles through than I can remember, countless shih tzus and chihuahuas and mixes, up to half a dozen 3-4 month old puppies of all kinds, big and small, at a time, Cavaliers (puppies!) dachshunds, Pekingese by the boatload ... you name it, we have had it. I remember a time in the not too distant past where people lined up for a lottery to "win" a small dog from a shelter. Now I have to transfer small dogs OUT to rescue because they start going kennel crazy in the shelter from lack of interest. And more interestingly, many of the small dog rescues are too full to take in more dogs. Meanwhile, there are half a dozen Import Rescue groups handing out dogs right off the truck from California etc. in exchange for fistfuls of cash. And I'm not exaggerating.

(And I do wonder how many of the small dogs in my shelter were originally imported from a US shelter to un/underscreened homes by import rescues who don't follow up on adoptions.)

Frankly, I have more adopter interest in and better luck placing my pit bulls and big hairy shepherd mixes than I do the small dogs. Because that's what people looking at shelter dogs are adopting. People looking for little dogs are going to the Importers instead.

We don't have a lack of dog overpopulation in lots or even most parts of the world - we're just shifting it around from country to country. And please don't let me get started on the dogs being imported from Taiwan and India and the like - these dogs do NOT adjust well to live in "civilized" Canada. People "save" them only to make them miserable and in many cases, to kill them anyway.

RDM

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, there are half a dozen Import Rescue groups handing out dogs right off the truck from California etc. in exchange for fistfuls of cash. And I'm not exaggerating.

That isn't rescue though - it's dog dealing and, as I said, it happens here too.

I don't subscribe to the "charity begins at home" school of thought. For many of us an Irish dog has as much of a right to life as one born in the UK.

Tugging at the heartstrings to get any dog adopted is common rescue practice; it isn't confined to those importing dogs.

And from a practical pov, a quick turnover of readily adoptable dogs can supplement the income of a rescue charity so it is able to help more dogs.

I neither support the importation of dogs by genuine rescuesnor condemn it. Those willing to give up their time, effort and money to a cause have the right to choose what that cause should be. Just because I don't think it's a good use of resources to spend £1k s bringing a sick dog here from Afghanistan or wherever it doesn't give me the right to criticise those who put their heart and soul into doing just that. I'm happy that someone cares enough to do it.

I do understand how those who have to face an overflowing shelter day in day out feel about it. I'm sure they all want to do their best by the dogs they have in their care and are frustrated and angry knowing that there are dog dealers operating such fraudulent scams, but tarring all importers with the same brush would be a step too far here and may be the case where you are too.

I have to admit though that it doesn't make much sense to me to move dogs from a country with such a large population to one with relatively few inhabitants. At least here the movement is in the

opposite direction.

I think you are misreading what is being said here. I haven't seen one person support mandatory spay/neuter or legislated dog breeding.

Not even me, and I'm probably as anti breeding as members of this board get.

I believe in freedom of choice as long as noone and nothing is likely to be harmed. I don't believe in piling up unenforceable laws that try to take away that freedom.

What I would really like is for unnecessary breeding to be socially unacceptable and for anyone thinking of breeding to search deep down into their soul for their motive for wanting to go down that road. There are plenty of excuses people come up with, few of them good.