BC Boards

Slightly used (rescue) guarding me by growling at strangers/friends

Hi! I'm new here. We adopted a new to us BC from the shelter about a month and a half ago. He is 3 1/2. We did do a ton of research about the breed and would say was fairly confident in knowing his kind. But he did come from the shelter and all dogs are different. He is a total sweetheart though. He loves to run...we live on an acre and I am home all the time so he gets plenty of exercise. We don't know a lot about him other than his previous owner passed away from cancer and he spent a month at the shelter. He came to us knowing many commands, extremely loyal, never leaves me...etc. Listens very well, very submissive. He has had some anxiety issues which we are working through. My guess is he was in a quiet place and we are a hustle bustle busy family, three boys, all older..but he adores them. He is just getting used to me dragging him to football practice, walking him to death, riding in the car, etc. He has a good sanctuary in the house to go to alone but sometimes too much and we have to encourage him to be "the family dog", which he does, happily...My problem is, he's MY dog, and if people outside our family approach him, now he growls...I can tell him he's fine, he will sniff them and be okay after a bit, but it is getting to be silly that he thinks everyone is going to hurt me. Guard dog over the top. It's a little menacing. We are also still working on leash training, he likes to spin in circles and tug, I think anxiety again...but it is getting better the more that time passes. So...any suggestions?

I agree with 2 Devils. It is common for a rescue dog to start showing some anxiety/stress behaviors once they start to feel comfortable in their new home - right around a month +/- at their new home. And these anxiety/stress behaviors can manifest themselves as guarding and/or biting. He sounds like a very nice dog, but it also sounds like you are exposing him to too much too soon. (He goes off to be alone. He is telling you he needs a time out.)

Not to worry, I don't think you will have a dangerous dog on your hands, but definitely ease up on including him in crowded/noisy situations for a while (e.g. instead of taking him to a football game 3 times a week, maybe only once a week for a while until he feels more comfortable around people.)

I definitely agree with setting up training situations where friends (at first), then strangers (later) can give him treats to let him know that new people are OK.

I recommend Patricia McConnell's book "Love at any Age" (I hope that the title is correct. If not, it is close.). This book lets you know what a rescue dog may be dealing with in his new home, what undesirable behaviors may manifest while they are acclimating to their new home and how to deal with them. It is a quick, short read, and I recommend it for anyone getting a new rescue dog.

Jovi

I agree with 2 Devils. It is common for a rescue dog to start showing some anxiety/stress behaviors once they start to feel comfortable in their new home - right around a month +/- at their new home. And these anxiety/stress behaviors can manifest themselves as guarding and/or biting. He sounds like a very nice dog, but it also sounds like you are exposing him to too much too soon. (He goes off to be alone. He is telling you he needs a time out.)

Not to worry, I don't think you will have a dangerous dog on your hands, but definitely ease up on including him in crowded/noisy situations for a while (e.g. instead of taking him to a football game 3 times a week, maybe only once a week for a while until he feels more comfortable around people.)

I definitely agree with setting up training situations where friends (at first), then strangers (later) can give him treats to let him know that new people are OK.

I recommend Patricia McConnell's book "Love at any Age" (I hope that the title is correct. If not, it is close.). This book lets you know what a rescue dog may be dealing with in his new home, what undesirable behaviors may manifest while they are acclimating to their new home and how to deal with them. It is a quick, short read, and I recommend it for anyone getting a new rescue dog.

Jovi

I was 'thinking' the too-much-too-soon possibility, but wasn't sure how to say it without coming off as critical. I think this ^^ is a reasoned response. As much as I agree with exposing a dog to varied environments, I do think you have to consider the individual dog and proceed accordingly. If the dog is already exhibiting some anxiety, a more gradual introduction to a 'busy' environment might be better tolerated and might go a long way toward acclimating the dog to your lifestyle. In any case, I think this is good advice.

My guess is he was in a quiet place and we are a hustle bustle busy family, three boys, all older..

I think your instincts are good here ^^

It's "love has no age limit"

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/store/Love-Has-No-Age-Limit.html

Just finished reading it, an easy read and a nice little booklet.

And agree with previous posters:

- likely fear-stress, not 'guarding'

- maybe too much too soon

- same thoughts on building positive association with stranger (to the dog)

Other tools could be:

- BAT: http://functionalrewards.com/more-on-bat/bat-steps-for-reactivity/

- Exercises in control unleashed (eg LAT-Look at That) - There are some video on Youtube, or the book can be found here http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3080

F.

I'm always hesitant to give advice in situations that I cannot view for myself. But I will tell you what I have experienced with my own dogs. I have changed my way of thinking when it comes to adopting. I've brought dogs in before that adapted so quickly as if they lived here all their lives....and they were all other breeds. Not so with my BCs. I don't know if it's the breed and their sensitivity/intelligence, or just my two, but learning from my first adopted BC, I have taken it much slower with my second one. First one: had her in an obedience class within two months of getting her. She did fine, but looking back, it was way too soon. Cautiously put my second one in an obedience class about 7 months after adopting...and I carefully chose a small class that would allow me to tailor training to his needs. This has gone much, much better.

I am thinking, like others, that you need to ease off the busy socialization and just let your dog adjust to his new life. Once again, not knowing his personality, I cannot tell you...you must decide what is enough and what is too much.

The growling/guarding could also be a reaction to the over-stimulation of too much socialization before he has adjusted to your home.

However, regarding the "guarding", I can say that I encountered this with my second dog. He attached himself to me immediately...and I admit that I pretty much took over everything in his life (I doctored him thru a painful shelter neutering, fed him, brushed him, took him out in the yard,etc.) However, this was in conjunction with his being at home with us, since I really limited taking him out a lot for the first months. He would emit a very, very low growl when laying near me in the house....so low that at first, I actually didn't hear it and thought my husband was imagining it. It didn't happen all the time. But he would growl if my husband, and even my dogs, came near me when he was laying with me. It was not fear based...it was definitely associated with me. That was easily remedied by having my husband and son take over feeding and caring for him to allow him to become attached to us all, equally. I would agree that you will need to develop a positive association with strangers and using treats (if he's treat motivated) is a good way to start that.

Both of my dogs also wanted/needed "alone" time, and I found that eventually that disappeared as they allowed themselves to become part of the family...but it took longer than I expected.

I wish you the best with your boy.

Thank you for adopting. :)

Thank you! All great advice. He definitely doesn't do it with the family. But was starting to attach too much just to me, so I also started having everyone take care of him and that helped a lot. Now that the boys are back in school he gets a lot more 'down' time and that seems to be helping too. I think the treats will help. I did that with the front door issue and that worked, so bringing them with me seems logical. He would rather be with me, go places with me, more than anything else. If I say 'go bye-bye', he's ready to go! But I think you all are right about maybe going too fast...I think it is more the breed, he may just want to please me. I'm going to have to watch him. Thanks for your help!