BC Boards

Incontinent girl

Olivia

My 12.5 year old 30 lb girl seems to be progressively losing her ability to hold her urine. It started as some leakage if she was lying around the house and hadn't been outside in a while she would get up and I would find a puddle. The other day I was only gone from the house for 3 hours and when I came home I found her napping on one of the dog beds which was soaked through with urine and she was soaking wet as well. She seemed horribly embarrassed and slunk off outside as soon as she woke up and smelled the bed and herself and hung her head refusing to come to me. I felt so bad for her! She is iron clad house trained and hasn't had a accident in years. All the dogs got baths that day so she wouldn't feel singled out (silly I know but made me feel better). I called the vet and we checked her for a UTI which was clear and started her on Proin last Friday, 1/2 of a 25mg tablet. I also ordered waterproof bed covers for the dog beds so the inside pillows can stay clean and I can just wash the outer covers if needed.

She seems to be doing a bit better on the Proin but still a tiny bit leaky at night. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep her comfortable and my wooden floors undamaged?

Thanks!!

Call your vet back, that is a low dose compared to what my old girl got. We split a 75mg tablet in half and she got half a pill twice a day with no ill affects. Jazz weighed about 40 lbs

There are other meds out there too if that one doesn't work. Just talk to the vet again.

I agree with Kristen--it might be too low a dose. I am going through this with my 12.5-year-old Sophiegirl as well right now. She is about 34 pounds and just started taking 25 mg of Proin twice a day last week. She's doing great on it--no leaks at all. :)

Sometimes it takes some tweeking to figure out the right dose. Every dog is different. They often start with a low dose and work it up if needed. In my case I am lucky. My dog is maintained on a 25 mg dose just twice a week! The lowest maintenance dose my vets have ever encountered. My girl is about to turn 12 and she has been incontinent since 3 (she was spayed as a tiny pup).

I would check with your vet about upping the dose.

Jennifer

Willow (15.5 years) was on Proin twice a day (50 mg total/day). She had been on 25 mg once a day and when we were treating her with prednisone for mast cell cancer we had to up the dose to 25 mg twice a day and she was still leaking. After we stopped the pred I left her on that dose. Recently I ran out of meds and it took a week or so for the vet to send me more. During that time Willow had no incontinence problems. When I finally got the meds, I was reminded by the label that we had originally been dosing her once a day. So I went back to that. She's having occasional leakage if she's left in the house too long. I may have to go back to the higher dose to control that. But anyway, as everyone else has said, you may just need to ask your vet about increasing her dose.

BTW, Willow is ~35 pounds, and first started having incontinence problems back in 2005 when she was 8.

J.

I apologize, I mistyped, she is on 1/2 of a 25mg Proin twice a day. Still think I should call about going up on it even though she's only been on it since Friday? Should I give her a week or so on it to see the full effects before going up on the dose?

Thanks everyone.

That's probably a question for your vet. ISTM that it would take a little time to build up in her system and begin showing an effect. I started Willow on it so long ago that I honestly don't remember how long it took to have a positive effect, but then Willow was having occasional accidents in her sleep vs. daily so my experience might not be applicable anyway.

J.

My 12 1/2 year old girl gets 1/4 of 60mg Proin 3 times a day and also gets one DES every 5 days to control her incontinence. She weighs about 33-34 lbs. Any less than that and she will leak again.

Kathy

Poor pup.

Meg (4 yrs old, 40 lbs) also started peeing in her sleep earlier this year. She has been taking Proin since late June. She started out taking 25mg once per day (1/2 of a 50mg tablet). It was about 7-10 days after she started taking it that she had her last leakage. She hasn't had a problem since. The vet told me to play with the dosage until I found the lowest dose with no issues. Over the past few weeks we've cut back to 25mg every other day and (fingers crossed) she still hasn't had any 'accidents'.

If you feel your girl is improving on the low dose, I would give her a few more days or even a week to see if she regains complete control. If she seems to plateau and still 'leak', give the vet a call and see about increasing the dosage.