BC Boards

I don't off hand but I will look at it when I get home from work this evening. It's just sterile honey though and they said I could just buy regular honey from the store. It's just in a little tube, I know it's from NZ and there's a small yellow picture of the inside of a bee hive on it. I'll get back to you in a few hours.

Are you sure there isn't' something in his pad? It looked almost healed then he chewed it that much?? I wonder if he's got a thorn way in there that is trying to come out and hurting? I've never seen something go from good to that bad in a night from licking or chewing. Haven't you ever had a splinter that at first you can't feel and it sorta heals up then it starts to fester and opens back up? That is what it sorta looks like with just that little spot he was worrying.

Make me cringe just looking at! Poor guy

The vet went over it again and can find nothing. We've been three times, and I went once on my own with pics. To be honest, since reopening it/damaging it on Wednesday, he's moving around so much better. Putting weight on it, trying to run. Also, it doesn't seem as sensitive when I dress it. It is very possible something was in there. And the way he's behaving and moving if something was in there, I think it's out. This never looked like a blown pad, it looked like a traumatic event. Today it's looking better, and he's not trying to lick or chew it. I have to go out for a couple hours this evening. I've wrapped it up like Fort Knox and he's wearing his cone in the crate. I can't imagine how frustrated he feels.

That's happened to me. So tiny you couldn't see it but hurt like hell. Then it worked it's way out. By the time it came out (of my knee) you could see it! was a tiny little thorn but covered with yucky pus when it came out.

I'll bet it festered and came out if he's feeling that much better. It also didn't look like he was chewing it. such a little spot compared to the whole pad. More like picking at that little spot with his teeth.

Could of been a sliver of glass or I'm still betting on thorn maybe tore up the pad and lodged in that spot. Or he chewed on his whole pad trying to get to that spot? Have you ever heard of Prid? I think that's what it's called. My Grandma used to use it to draw out things.

Hope it's out and he gets better.

100 years ago I had an Akita that had a penchant for chewing on our rose bushes. Eventually he had gotten a thorn in between his pads. Of course, no one knew that until too late. It was a nasty mess. He ended up at the vet having the remains removed.

I will have to look into the Prid.

Thanks so much everyone! I'll let everyone know how we're getting along.

We’ve been using the honey since Saturday and I have to say it looks alot better. The foot is wrapped most of the time. He’s either been coming to work with me at the bank (thank doG for a nicely crate trained Tex!) or he stays with my friend. The foot is wrapped all day, we get home from work , I unwrap it and wash it, he gets to air it out for the evening. I make him stay with us, so I can make sure he’s leaving the area alone. Around 10 – 10:30 I wrap him back up for the night and then unwrap him when I wake up. Wash, air out, rewrap.

I did catch him licking it this morning. I might not have washed all the honey off. And I’ve never met a dog that loves food as much as this one. The foot still looks a little raw/rough. At what point should I start using the Tuff n Up?

I think these are Sunday (I'm sorry they're a little blurry, he was not cooperating.)

2012-09-08_10-17-03_203.jpg

IMG_20120908_115228.jpg

These are from Monday

2012-09-10_07-55-25_164.jpg

2012-09-10_07-55-41_525.jpg

Kate. I know it's been a while since you posted. The first thing that came to mind when I saw his foot was not a torn pad but a burned pad, especially the Friday 8/31 picture. It looks like a chemical burn. Poor guy. I hope he is healing up ok. Since starting this thread I've been giving Chesney zinc again. We haven't had any issues.

I added Zinc to Texi's diet. I can't imagine what he would have burned his foot on, but it is possible. The pics that I have posted are of the damage Tex has done to himself since he initially hurt it; licking and chewing. The wounds are nearly healed/closed, but still if given the chance he will worry it. And now he is developing a sore on his leg from the bandage chaffing.

Looking back at the 8/31 pic, that was after he'd run around the house and ripped off some scabbing before I got a hold of him and tossed him back in the crate. So he may have burned it on what little carpet we have.

Also, in these photos his nails are hideously long. Zero activity and my hesitance to mess with that dang foot. I have since trimmed them.