BC Boards

Dirty dog at dog show

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my mars shedding tool! Combined with rake n slicker brush, I get tons of undercoat out if I want n it's a great tools for breaking up matts. They're expensive, have had mine for 3 years/3 coated dogs, about ready to change blade. I use the 10 blade n would love to get a 12 blade. Doesnt bother the dogs at all n doesn't break coat.

So...do Border Collies naturally, miraculously become clean. I mean, really, does their coat in some way self-clean itself???

I find this very interesting! I just have a mix (BC/Golden Retriever) and she can go out to the creek, get wet and sandy and muddy and the stuff just seems to fall out of her coat as it dries. By the time she's home and dry you can't find a spec of dirt in her coat. The only time her coat hasn't recovered like that is when she gets into the pond, which is a disgusting smelly mess of goose and duck poop and other atrocities and she comes out smelling like the Swamp Thing.

My sister has American Eskimo dogs - smallish, with coats that range from medium to Chow-like. They are all white. When she got her first dog, she told me that the breeders and websites told HER that the coats just stay white - don't need much grooming. I laughed and said, "That's what they tell you to get you to buy a white dog."

But... after 3 of them, it turns out it's absolutely true. They are white white white and stay so - only their feet get muddy sometimes, but it falls right off. Go figure.

Just because it's funny:

DoggieDiapers.jpg

(They went to a B&B that accepted housebroken dogs... only the puppies weren't housebroken as expected. That's Yuki and Theda. It was a heck of a job getting Buddy to walk off-leash with them and not be snarking at them constantly. Poor Yuki is in LUUURVE with Buddy, but he won't let her within 2 feet of him.)

Mary