BC Boards

Storey's Guide To Raising Sheep

Hello,

Was hoping I could get some feedback on if I am moving in the right direction by reading Storey's Guide to Raising sheep.

And when is a good time of year to purchase them. I am in the Northeast and can have some nasty winters.

My soil is great in the pasture I am planning to use. Will start with less and see how things go.

post-13260-076692900 1343685206_thumb.jpg

I was wondering the same about Storey's Guide To Raising Dairy Goats. I talked at length with a woman who has a small dairy goat operation at the local farm fair last week and got her telephone number, but I forgot to mention the book.

Not sure if a farm fair would be considered the best venue for finding breeders, but this particular breeder was certainly informative and enthusiastic about discussing her goats; no sales pitch either.

I like Storey's Guide, but I like Ron Parker's Sheep Book even better. And you can get it online for free, though I wouldn't be without my hard copy. If you Google his name and "sheep book" you'll find it.

The thing about any livestock is that books are helpful, but an experienced mentor is even better. I was lucky to have as a near neighbor someone who has raised sheep for more than 60 years. His experience and knowledge (freely given when asked) was a godsend.

J.

Yes Julie, I will speak to the local sheep farmers here. There are quite a few that will help me.

I have grown up with horses my whole life.

Sheep, now thats something new.

Thanks Mommalove very excited. Keeva treats my horses like REALLY BIG SHEEP. (Don't worry this activity is monitored.)

You might not want to monitor your dog's behavior around horses as much as curtail it. Not just for his safety, but it's embarrassing when a dog tries to lift the set out person's horse along with his sheep at a trial.

My BC doen not ever attempt to drive a horse when I am riding. She drops and watches. However,She likes to think she is moving them into another pasture for grazing.

As horse owners know horses dont need to be moved into a fresh field of pasture, they do it all on their own.

Not doing much riding these summer days with the heat. She doesn't spend much time looking at the horses. The previous post was regarding her behavior when I am on horseback.

Now that the horses are older not doing any cross country like a few years ago.

I don't minimize her time with the horses but if we spend 45 minutes a day with them that is alot.

Julie,

The fact that u mention staring may not be good,

Are there any preliminary commands I can teach before the sheep come?

I was just going to wait for that, until I actually have the sheep on my property.

There are a couple Universities that offer home study courses that are very informative. Univ of Wyoming and Univ of MN - Pipestone campus are the ones I did years ago when I was first getting into sheep. Cornell may have something as well. You can check out your local sheep assoc to see if they offer any educational opportunities.

Denice