BC Boards

Need board mojo despeately

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How terribly frightening... and how brave and kind for that woman to help him like that.

My thunderphobe has been using Amitryptelene this summer to pretty amazing results. There have been times where she was so in a blind panic that I was afraid she'd bolt through one of my windows. I remember that terror well. I hope your anxiety will ease for you soon.

We have an appointment at 9 am tomorrow! Let's hope the first drug we try does the trick!

In the meantime Seamus no longer wants to eat :-(

But he still wants to obsess on his toys so all is not lost!

Thank you again all for your concern!

Big hugs to you. I know the lost dog feeling and am soo glad that he is home safe and sound!

FWIW, The valium I give Kipp for thunderstorms calms him down wonderfully and only makes him slightly loopy. I don't think that the average person would even notice. Hope you find something that works equally as well for your boy!!

I actually started TTouch with him last month. It does help a tiny bit.

He did eat last night eventually. I guess his schedule is still out of whack.

There was a big storm this morning and he actually was pretty mellow. No panic or panting. After a brief cuddle he just chilled at the foot of the bed. Later we went on our normal walk

We are at the vet's office now!

Well, our vet really wanted us to go see a behaviorist since the situation is complicated by a few fear factors. However, right now there is no way I can affort that. So, she is doing some research and will come up with a plan over the next day or two. In the meantime she encouraged me to make sure he has a safe place (under the basement stairs) and to look into these CDs they make called something like "Through a Dog's Ear". They are classical music specifically tailored for stress relief and heart rate.

But the really good news is that my local government is listening to me! I sent emails to the governor, state senator, and state rep. The governors office replied and it was a totally canned and useless reply. So I appealed to my township board. The township supervisor (mayor) called me personally!! He has two Yorkies also disturbed by the fireworks. He assured me they are working on an ordinance to curtail the use of fireworks. Enforcement is another matter....but hey someone is listening to me!!

I'll keep you updated!

Jennifer

Well, our vet really wanted us to go see a behaviorist since the situation is complicated by a few fear factors. However, right now there is no way I can affort that.

Some vet behaviorists do consults through regular vets. It is a lot less expensive than actually going to see the vet behaviorist. I know that Dr. Overall used to do it, and she still may. It might be worth looking into the pricing, and talking to your vet about it.

So, she is doing some research and will come up with a plan over the next day or two. In the meantime she encouraged me to make sure he has a safe place (under the basement stairs) and to look into these CDs they make called something like "Through a Dog's Ear". They are classical music specifically tailored for stress relief and heart rate.

Through a Dog's Ear is very good. I've used the demo CD that comes in the book with Dean for years. It is the main reason why he is able to do Agility!!

The car, with the music playing, is his safe place, and it has become a place where he can reset from noise phobic incidents. There is no place he would rather be during a thunderstorm, although I don't put him in the car during storms. Sometimes he ends up there, though, if I am at class with another dog and he is with us. He prefers the car, even, to going home.

So, setting up the music in the basement may well help.

I do hope, though, that she is looking into medication options. I don't think even the car with music would help Dean without the clomipramine.

But I do recommend Through a Dog's Ear. I've had a lot of success with it, paired with the safe place.

My vet will be consulting. I should have been more clear, she is researching a medication plan. We discussed finding something for general anxiety to "reset" his pathways that seem to now associate evening with fear, a daily med for some period of time. And then adding another med on top for "acute" stress situations.

My vet will be consulting. I should have been more clear, she is researching a medication plan. We discussed finding something for general anxiety to "reset" his pathways that seem to now associate evening with fear, a daily med for some period of time. And then adding another med on top for "acute" stress situations.

Got it! That's good!!

Yes, in addition to that, the music and safe place can help a lot!

Thanks Wendy! We are going to try Prozac daily for a few months to try and get him back to "normal" and Xanax on top of that for acute stressors. Hope to wean him off the Prozac in a few months.

Of course behavior mod on top of that but unfortunately there are things I cannot control and certain support I cannot get so I only expect limited improvement from that.

The rest will be physical management ie no off leash freedom :-(

You may have to try a few drugs to find one that works. We started Buster on Prozac for his SA and we ended up with an anxious, cowering, zombie dog. Use your best judgement to determine if the drug is giving you the desired result. Clomipramene gives us a mostly normal dog. Good luck, and much mojo for a cure.

Of course behavior mod on top of that but unfortunately there are things I cannot control and certain support I cannot get so I only expect limited improvement from that.

I didn't actually have to do a lot of behavior modification with Dean. The meds, and limiting exposure as much as possible to his triggers (which pertained more to sports with teeters and such) made all the difference in the world.