BC Boards

Need board mojo despeately

Thank you everyone!!! I cannot believe I got him back. Seamus has quite a disappearing history I'm sorry to say. I thought for sure this was the time without a happy ending. We've just been too lucky!

We'll I'm off to nap!

Jennifer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to hear this!

I always come back to the bottom of a topic like this and see what the last person had to say, and it lets me know right away if it's been good news or bad news. I'm glad for your good news! And get that dog a long line!

Seamus has always been sound sensative. This includes raised voices. He also is thunderphobic which has increased every year. He is nine now. Back when we trialed he would disappear when someone was yelling on the course. But he would just go back to the vehicle and wait patiently. The most recent episode before this one he was in a secure fenced area and squeezed out where you can never imagine he could get out when he heard a nail gun being used. He was found about 20 minutes later. This latest time was the longest he had been gone. Disappearing in the dark I'm sure is part of the reason why.

Our lovely governor signed into law a new fireworks bill for this year that has essentially turned our neighboorhood into what sounds like a war zone. This started end of May and is still going on every night AND even during the day. Seamus' brain is pretty much fried at this point. Add in a weekend with my step children who are typical loud kids yelling and hitting and Seamus just had enough. Heck, I've had enough!

We have a large drain behind the houses across the street. It comes from the Clinton River. Basically he ran towards the busy street in the opposite direction and looped back to the drain. At some point he followed the drain for about two miles. I am guessing he hunckered down for the night and started again in the morning. But I'll never know. I am just thankful for the little bit of wilderness left in this area and that he gravitated toward that instead of the open road.

I'm going to resort to anti-anxiety meds for him. I would much rather at this point have him slow and loopy rather than in hyper anxiety mode. I might just check into some for me too! And obviously he has lost all off leash priveledges.

Jennifer

Oh, i forgot to add how he was found. Simply someone saw him walking in the woods/drain behind their house and said "stop" and he did. She is afraid of dogs but he is friendly so she was brave enough to hold his collar and call us from the tag on the collar. He was too tired to keep going and I think she gave him some water too.

I am so glad your dog was found safe!

I had two sound sensitive dogs , they both have passed on in the past two years. I was able to maintain one on Xanax for years. It never made her real loopy and she worked everyday on it. It was wonderful in that she would not panic and hurt herself.

I know some vets recommend Ace but it did not help with the panic in fact neither of my dogs reacted well to it.

Hope you can find a good solution for him.

Suki

My dog has been on Clomicalm for about 4 years for severe separation anxiety. This has helped take the edge off of his fear of thunder as well. Now he just curls up tightly and growls at the really bad booms.

The "loopiness" doesn't last forever---once they adjust to the medication, you can't tell that they take something.

I am still trying to decompress. Seamus is home but I don't have Seamus back if that makes sense. For the first few hours after he got back home he wanted to bolt again. Finally I let him in the basement (he loves to hide under the stairs)so he could just have quiet time alone to recover. But it made me so sad that he wasn't happy to be home! I was on edge all day yesterday, constantly checking to make sure he was still in the house. Tensing every time I heard a door open. I even closed all the windows because I was paranoid he would bust through a screen. By evening things were better. I was able to get him to play with his toys. But when it was time to go out to pee he was on leash in the fenced area!!

He seemed better this morning. I wish I was!

Jennifer