BC Boards

LGD Training

jvw

Does anyone know if there are LGD trainers out there that you can send a young dog to for training? Kind of like sending a BC out for training? And if so how do you figure out if they are good trainers?

Thanks

Jennifer

Thank you Maja. It might be helpful. The info is for my brother who insisted on getting a LGD pup BEFORE he was really ready. I'm doing my best now to actually get the pup out of the home and into some hands that know what to do with him. I'm not really getting anywhere so far. But I'm going to keep trying. I really want to avoid a situation where the dog gets into trouble and pays for it.

Jennifer

Are you saying they got the pup now but plan at some time in the future to put it in with stock? I would think that once the pup has lived in the house and bonded with the family it will be difficult to transition it to a working situation. It needs to be in with livestock now, learning its job, while it's still small enough to learn from the stock without creating mayhem or injuring anything.

I've never heard of people taking LGDs for training because most are started from a very young age with the stock they're going to live with and the training is done within that context. That doesn't mean there's not someone out there who would do such a thing, but I think it must be rare.

J.

LGD "training" is just about the reverse of BC training. Best if the pup is born near livestock, and is in constant contact with livestock. It has to be imprinted on livestock. And the pup in new place must be with livestock form the first. You must never be tempted to let it stay in the house or in the yard with people.

Maja

You see, I know all this. But I could not convince my brother all the way. He did run out and get two goats. UGH! But the person who sold them to him spotted a sucker and sold him a buck and a very very young doe. Grrrr! So basically the pup cannot be with the "stock" because 1. the stock is not together and 2. the buck attacks the pup.

I feel so bad for this pup. Its just not fair for it to be put in this position. I'm really pushing for it to be placed ASAP since it is still very young and has a chance. It does come from working parents.

Jennifer

Oh dear. I was at my friend's the other day and he gave me his rams two work with, and there was a billy on vacation in their midst. We did a lot of work where the flock was far away and up-wind :lol:

If you can place the pup so that it can see the nanny, but no harm can come to either from either, that would be very helpful. E.g. chain link fence. If the flock has never had an LGD it is common to take protective measures towards the pup. I bought once 3 lambs 2-3month old and since there were the entire flock at that time, they adopted the LGD with away (within a day).

maja