BC Boards

Puppy ??? Or Evil Doer!!

So the "puppy" has taken over he barks at my other dogs anytime they come near me

my older dog cannot get near me at anytime or the pup barks and leaps on him.

He jumps and tackles me instead of running beside me he herds me and nips

my legs are a nice shade of purple from his antics. Walking he does not do this only running.

When we go to the lake to swim he dive bombs my smaller dog in the water and will not allow him near me

hes not showing any of this behavior when around humans only my other 2 dogs

My older BC has put him in his place but the smaller aussie keeps getting into fights with him and they become pretty nasty toward each other.

Suggestions to handle getting this pack more in tune

Hes 5 months old ben in the house almost 3 months now

Why do you let him engage in those behaviours around your other dogs? Stop him.

If he barked at my other dogs when they came near me, he'd get removed to another room without a word and a door shut in his face and/or he would get crated.

When he bit my legs, I'd correct him.

At the beach, he'd be on a long line and he'd be physically prevented from ambushing the other dogs. and forced to wait his turn.

This is not rocket science, it's jut establishing good manners. If you don't give him any, he'll never develop any nor have any.

RDM

How far are you running with him? Five months is pretty young for running alongside a person.

As for his behavior, I'd be correcting him for being obnoxious toward the other dogs. He could stay on a leash/long line if needed so that the smaller dog can enjoy the water, etc. If he gets aggressive toward the other dogs, you just reel him in and put him in a time out.

I don't think this is a situation where you should let them work things out among themselves. Someone is going to get hurt. He needs to understand that it's in his best interests to live peacefully with the other dogs, and if he can't, then he can be put up while they play.

I'm sure others will have good ideas for you.

J.

I agree with what RDM said about the barking, if he barks when your other dogs approach you, he loses the privilege of being in the room with everyone. Additionally, I'd reward him for letting the dogs approach and not barking.

Jumping up and nipping as you run isn't necessarily herding behavior, my standard poodle did that too.

I think it's a quite common behavior in puppies. Running with someone is really exciting, and they want to do something extra as they run with you. That 'something' is eat your pants/legs! :)

So, what I did for the jumping and running problems is start out just rewarding him for walking next to you. Then pick up your pace for a few steps, and reward him if he keeps all four feet on the ground and your legs/pants out of his mouth. Gradually upping duration and the speed in which you run. This worked really well for me.

And I agree with the other posters, it sounds like a long line would be helpful. I don't have suggestions for the smaller dog/bigger dog dynamics as I don't have experience with it, but I'm sure more people do addition to the suggestions above.

I have to second the idea about setting boundaries - now!!!

Personally there is no way that I disrespect myself so much that I will be hurt by a puppy! Ain't happening. The smaller they are, the easier the fix. Nothing special. Love long lines.

And I sure as heck ain't going let a newbie run roughshod over the "old" crew as it is.

Granted, I admit that at times I myself struggle finding the balance between "normal/acceptable" dog on dog set the rules type interaction and my time to set limits. Around here much revolves around age, size, status and at times things not related to dog on dog stuff like being somewhat considerate to neighbors or room mates.

Good grief, yes, establish boundaries now! Don't let him do those things! Put him on a long line if he's dive-bombing other dogs, and correct him sternly when he's being a butt any other time. If he won't let the other dogs near you - too bad, kiddo, in the crate/other room/outside you go. HE does not get to set the rules - which is what is happening.

What are you doing to try to curb him? If you're yelling NO at him or whatever, clearly you haven't given him any reason to respect that.

RDM and the others have given you good advice. STOP those behaviors. Period. You outweigh him multiple times over. It's wholly in your power to make those behaviors cease. You must train and correct him and teach him the rules of good citizenship.

Best of luck! :)

~ Gloria

thank you for the training advice long line on this am and will be put in his place as of today. no more ruling the roost

as for him being neutered yes he will no questions asked however my vet suggests waiting to as close 2 12 months as possible due to new reasearch that shows early neutering can cause growth issues.

thoughts on that ?

the running its just short sprints for teaching him to run with me for his later agility training will break that into smaller pieces and give less time to get the urge to leap.

as for him being neutered yes he will no questions asked however my vet suggests waiting to as close 2 12 months as possible due to new reasearch that shows early neutering can cause growth issues.

thoughts on that ?

Both sides of the when to neuter argument exaggerate the possible pros and cons depending on their stance on the subject.

Mine have always been neutered as close to 6 months as possible (depending on when I got them) and none has had any growth issues. I've read the results of the commonly cited studies and there is nothing in them that causes me any concern.

Bear in mind that your dog will be hitting puberty and the kind of behaviour you describe could become even worse, especially between your dogs. There is never any guarantee as to the effect of neutering on behaviour but I have known some dramatic changes in pushy dogs like yours sounds to be.

The longer you leave it, the more opportunity your dog may have to practise doing what he is doing now. Don't rely on him growing out of it because probably won't. You can help put him back on the right track if you follow the advice that others have given but you will have the additional complications of his hormones which could affect both his behaviour and the response of other dogs towards him.

You just have to decide what your priorities are.

Mum Dog

thanks yes my others have always been done at 5-6 months old I have to date not had issues

with it so I think will put the brakes on and get more on track with his behavior requirements

before we decide the time frame on the neuter but he will for certain not be left in tact I am not in the breeding business and have no need for an intact male especially with 2 other males int he house that are neutered.

I have to crate him quite a bit during the day due to work and then of course at night

so I have been bad trying to make up for the lost hours by letting him get wild and expend the engery in

not so good ways. And I know for shame but some of the antics really make me laugh and i do know funny now not later in life...

Like a young horse if you allow them to be beastly its much harder when they are 2 and you want to saddle them

Guess I should put the same anology into play with the dog at 20lbs its not so bad if he hits 50lbs thats going to be a wild beast and unfair to ask him to change his ways then.

In just a few minutes this am with the leash on in the house I was able to correct him and he looked at me like well ok then settled down so he may be asking for structure and glad to have some.

I know these things are elementary howeer he is much pushy and I need to nip in the bud now.

While neutering can solve certain behavioral issues, it's not miracle cure and certainly no substitute for training.

Border Collies want to work with you and puppies aren't out to take over the world, they just do what's allowed. At this point in the game I would be surprised if the bulk of your issues couldn't be solved with some boundaries and training.

FWIW, Kenzi was a brat to Kipp when I first got her. A nine m/o spayed female but she figured out that she could boss Kipp and then she went for it - wanted to steal toys, tried to resource guard, etc. I stepped in and simply didn't let her. It worked quite nicely.

In just a few minutes this am with the leash on in the house I was able to correct him and he looked at me like well ok then settled down so he may be asking for structure and glad to have some.

Most dogs WANT structure. Very few dogs actually want to be the ones in charge and settle quickly once a routine is established.

He's young enough that he should quickly fall into line once you set clear rules and boundaries. Just be very firm and consistent -- That rude, bullying behavior would not fly for one second in my house. It's just not fair to the other dogs and it's not creating a good citizen in the puppy.

I know a lot of agility handlers don't want to squash their puppy's "drive & enthusiasm," but they still need to behave like decent animals and not beat up on the rest of the pack. I know in my house the oldest is too nice to correct the young ones and he puts up with a lot, so I make sure to watch and see that nobody is overly rude towards him.

Most dogs WANT structure. Very few dogs actually want to be the ones in charge and settle quickly once a routine is established.

He's young enough that he should quickly fall into line once you set clear rules and boundaries. Just be very firm and consistent -- That rude, bullying behavior would not fly for one second in my house. It's just not fair to the other dogs and it's not creating a good citizen in the puppy.

I know a lot of agility handlers don't want to squash their puppy's "drive & enthusiasm," but they still need to behave like decent animals and not beat up on the rest of the pack. I know in my house the oldest is too nice to correct the young ones and he puts up with a lot, so I make sure to watch and see that nobody is overly rude towards him.

Well I have taken 2 private lessons since I posted and he is signed up for a group class starting Thursday

my agility coach gave me some games to start playing so I have some goals and things to work towards.

On the other side of that hes already very happy that I took the "bull by the horns" so to speak!

Guess I was trying to coddle him too much and creating a little monster. So thanks for getting my brain in work mode.