BC Boards

Not Jumping up...But Vaulting!

Flint is doing really well and is a delight. However, there is one issue that I can't figure out how to correct. Flint doesn't tend to jump up on me or DH...He VAULTS from 3 feet out! I suppose I could train him to do this on command..but I'm not really sure I want an adult BC launching at me ...it could have dire consequences on my well being...not to mention his, if I missed the catch! :)

So, any ideas how I can correct this? Is this just puppy exuberance?

Id put it on command. I like that behavior after an agility run when the gate area gets too crowded, with a reactive dog that's a fun behavior which he likes and makes me feel at ease. That and I find when you mark behaviors they tend to stop doing them negatively.

You could try the ignore method where you turn your back on Flint and don't give any attention until he has 4 feet on the floor. I prefer a sit but sometimes 4 feet on the floor is ok depending on the dog.

My puppy is in a class right now where we are working on greeting behavior. Trip already has a sit command so folks come and greet Trip but only give him a treat for actually sitting. I can tell him to sit and once he does the greeter rewards. If he continued to be an idiot the greeter walks away until he settles and then comes back and try again. This is all done on leash. He knows how to greet folks so the above was an example.

Basically you need to work on the greeting behavior.

If the nice stuff doesn't work there are negatives you can try. I had to be negative with my rescue acd. She bloodied my lip a couple times so had to be much more forceful.

Basically you need to work on the greeting behavior.

If the nice stuff doesn't work there are negatives you can try.

You are talking about other people greeting the dog, right?

Easy enough to teach most dogs not to jump up as long as your efforts are not sabotaged by others who allow or encourage it.

No, it's not jumping up on people. He is required to sit before he gets any attention. It's still a learning issue for him but he's getting better - as are the people who 'don't mind him jumping up.. :rolleyes: ..sigh....

The 'vaulting' behaviour is when he is outside in the fenced yard. I call him, he comes but around 3 feet out launches himself into the air...with great delight.. That's the behaviour I'm trying to deal with. He doesn't do it all the time and does sit as soon as he gets to me.

If he's offering both the vaulting and running up and sitting, that makes it easier then if vaulted every single time. My suggestion would be: When he vaults stand up and turn your back for ten seconds or so and ignore him. When he just runs in and sits, praise him like he's just done the greatest thing ever. Usually they learn pretty fast which behavior gets them nothing and which one gets them a reward.