BC Boards

Introducting...the Pup Formerly Known as Henry!

Whelp, it's official! Henry came home with me today (see his story here). The vet thinks he's about 5 months old. He's a little red bundle of crazy puppy energy, very sweet, super friendly, and loves to play in water. We're starting work on basic manners, as he loves to jump on people, pulls on the leash, thinks hands are awesome chew toys, and isn't housebroken or crate trained yet. But he's already decided that getting attention is WAY more important than jumping on me, and if I can channel that energy I think he'll be a blast to train! He and Rudder are getting along great, they haven't stopped playing for the last 5 hours...

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

I want to change his name, but haven't decided on anything. Rudder was named that because he's missing most of his tail and I'm in pilot training. I'd like to continue the aviation theme, but I'm not dead set on it. Here are some of the suggestions others have come up with (some more ridiculous than others :rolleyes: ) :

Mach (definite possibility, and fits his energy!)

Jink

Ace

Merlin (the Rolls Royce engine from the WWII fighter the Spitfire...I like it but don't want to forever be explaining "no like the aircraft engine, not the wizard")

Spitfire (totally fits his personality, but too long and can't really be shortened. "Come, Spit!" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it)

Curtiss

Pitot (pronounced pee-toe)

Talon (this is the plane I fly, I like it but it seems maybe a bit harsh for this sweet pup)

Burner (for afterburner- I love it, but it's awfully close to Rudder)

Flaps (for his floppy ears)

Chase

Piper

Stick (so it would be Stick and Rudder...terrible I know. Plus I just can't imagine saying "bring the stick, Stick!")

HUD

Some non-aviation related possibilities:

Copper

Flynn

Shiner (my favorite beer, but again close to Rudder)

My apologies for the poor picture quality, I can't find the USB cable for my point and shoot, so the only camera I had handy at the time was my phone. Eventually I'll get my DSLR out and inundate the boards with pictures :D

ETA: Dang it, I really do know how to spell "introducing"

What a happy ending! Or, happy beginning. I love that little white stripe on his nose. He looks so, so happy to be hanging out with Rudder, and it sounds like you're doing a great job getting him all adjusted. Do get that camera out, cuteness this...cute just has to be shared. ;)

I like the name Flynn. :)

Congrats on the new friend. We expect lots of pictures!

Ace, Chase and Mach are over used names for Border Collies IMHO, but if you like them, use them.

My second Border Collie was named Flyboy after my red headed grandpa who flew B52 Bombers in WWII. Flyboy was a dashingly handsome red and white dog with nerves of steel and the ability to make friends with anyone.

FreyaFlyfielddue1week-1-1.jpg

Congratulations - from someone who was 'lusting' after Henry too. (I just don't have the time right now for training a young dog.) I look forward to seeing more photos.

I think you will come up with a good name since the subject matter is quite wide (airplane parts, company names, aviators, etc.).

Jovi

Flynn is good. How about just Fire (short for Spitfire)?

Thank you so much for adopting him. He is obviously in Border Collie heaven. Keep us posted on his (and Rudder's) exploits!

Cheers!

Amy

oh my gosh I can't believe you actually got him!!! I'm almost as excited as you are!!! I fell in love with him when I first saw his picture. I'm so happy you got him. He looks wonderful and now he will have such a wonderful life. I like the name Piper, but of course, this must be your decision. Thanks for posting the pictures...and looking forward to hearing more about him as he grows along with his friend Rudder. :D

Just discovered he doesn't like the mammoths from the movie Ice Age 3 blink.gif

He popped up and barked at them when they were on the screen and settled right back down when they were off...this happened 3 times, I'm positive it was the mammoths. Weird puppy...

Congratulations! I'm sure the pup, formerly known as Henry will give you his name...In the meantime, I like Fire...or Pilot :) Looking forward to watching him grow up :)

I want to change his name, but haven't decided on anything. Rudder was named that because he's missing most of his tail and I'm in pilot training. I'd like to continue the aviation theme, but I'm not dead set on it. Here are some of the suggestions others have come up with (some more ridiculous than others :rolleyes: ) :

Mach (definite possibility, and fits his energy!)

Jink

Ace

Merlin (the Rolls Royce engine from the WWII fighter the Spitfire...I like it but don't want to forever be explaining "no like the aircraft engine, not the wizard")

Spitfire (totally fits his personality, but too long and can't really be shortened. "Come, Spit!" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it)

Curtiss

Pitot (pronounced pee-toe)

Talon (this is the plane I fly, I like it but it seems maybe a bit harsh for this sweet pup)

Burner (for afterburner- I love it, but it's awfully close to Rudder)

Flaps (for his floppy ears)

Chase

Piper

Stick (so it would be Stick and Rudder...terrible I know. Plus I just can't imagine saying "bring the stick, Stick!")

HUD

Some non-aviation related possibilities:

Copper

Flynn

Shiner (my favorite beer, but again close to Rudder)

Hmmmmmm. Mig, Zero, Fokker (ahem), Sopwith, Lockheed, Vega, Tower (if he's a control freak), Vickers, Mustang or Sky.

ETA. Wing, Lift or Fin. (Wing is my favorite)

I like the name Pilot!

Do you ever plan on doing agility with him? If so I wouldn't recommend Mach since it would be a big name to live up to in agility, but otherwise I think its cute. Good luck with this little guy! He's a cutie for sure!

Congratulations on your new friend, a few days ago I was reading about a puppy formerly known as Henry needing a home, and here he is in another section of the boards with his very own home... Definately brought a smile to my face this morning with my coffee.

No advice on names though, I have been known to have a dog for weeks before coming up with a name.

this is truly good news. i also fell for him and so glad he has a great home. congrats. i was thinking of the name Aero. implies speed and when pronounced "arrow" implies straight and true. good luck.

YAY!! So happy you got him. I feel just a teensy bit like a match-maker since I posted him. :lol: Seriously, it does my heart good to see him go from just about death row to your backyard! Thank you for rescuing.

Anyway, I like Jet and Pilot for names.