BC Boards

Reaction To Vaccinations

terrecar

Since this isn't a Border Collie, I am just posting a link to my non-blog with photos. However, I just wanted to give anyone who has never seen what a bad vaccination reaction looks like a chance to see a photo, since it can happen to any breed. This dog did not go into anaphylactic shock, but she did swell up pretty badly. Gums remained pink. No breathing difficulty. No vomiting. No collapsing or extreme lethargy (the antihistamine did give her a bit of a buzz though).

Fortunately she responded to Benadryl (ER Vet is 1/2 hour away, and it was with their blessing that I dosed her). I didn't have prednisone on hand, but my veterinarian has since sold me some in case she swells again (apparently they can swell up again from the same vaccination even days after the first reaction). Also, I'm sure most on this board are aware of this, but reactions do not always occur immediately after administration of a vaccine. This one was about three hours after the innoculation, with no answer at my regular veterinarian's office since my appointment was late in the day. Hence the ER call.

Dog is fine now. Here is the link: http://www.terrecar.blogspot.com/

For those of you who might view the photos, the first is the dog's normal face, the second is the swelling at its worst, and the subsequent two are after the antihistamine started to kick in. Also, her eyes are not swollen shut; just closed when I snapped the pic.

There is a back story to some concern I expressed to my veterinarian--and was reassured that my concern was unwarranted--regarding the vaccinations. I'm too tired to tell it now.