BC Boards

BCC

Journey

I ask as I recently read; "we recently lost (name deleted), a stunning young male we bred, who experienced a severe episode of Border Collie Collapse and he had to be put down due to brain damage".

So, is this possible? The brain damage, the diagnosis? Or is this syndrome, for lack of a better word, now being used as a cause/excuse for anything remotely (or not) to heat/exercise issues? And uninformed or careless owners? Is research that far along that this statement is factual?

Karen, I think you know that there is no factual or scientific basis for the statement you quoted. Brain damage requiring euthanasia has not been seen in Border Collie Collapse, and is inconsistent with the clinical description of BCC.

As for your question "is this syndrome, for lack of a better word, now being used as a cause/excuse for anything remotely (or not) to heat/exercise issues?" I guess I would have to ask "Used by whom?"

Do people ever use a medical term erroneously? Do they ever misdiagnose, or mistakenly apply a misnomer to a condition or set of symptoms? Do they ever say "My dog had to be put down because of X," when it was not in fact because of X? Yes, they do. What should we do about that?