BC Boards

Going from 2 dogs to 3

I have 6 dogs, and it's definitely my maximum. I don't really like having 6, though I of course like all my dogs. Three is my favourite - you can leave two at home together for company for one another whilst going off to work with the third, and three is about as many as you can walk down a street without people stopping and staring at you as though you are INSANE, IME. Also, 3 will fit nicely in a car, rather than a truck or a minivan or what have you ;-)

It's been so long since I went from two to three that I can't remember if it was difficult. For a long time, I spaced my dogs by a few years so I wouldn't have a bunch of oldies at the same time. The WooTWoo though are the same age, so that's messed that up, and Spring and Dex are only about a year apart. The worst part of having six and wanting to drop your numbers through attrition is all the temptation of lovely dogs you wish to acquire as you lose others ... it's too easy to stay at a high number.

I live very hand to mouth; affording them can be difficult, especially when bad things happen to a bunch of them at once, as happened to me earlier this year (Dexter got torn open shortly after his expensive cryptorchid neuter surgery, Piper punctured the lingual artery in her tongue and nearly bled to death, and Tweed needed prolotherapy on his other foot, all in the space of about 4 months). However, my dogs also have an incredibly wicked life with me, and are much luckier than many other dogs (and in some cases, since my dogs are all rescues, much luckier with me than they were before they met me. Spring, for example, was scheduled for euth at the shelter). I will do what I need to do for any of them within reason, but will go to no extreme measure for any of them, whether I had one or six. I am comfortable with this philosophy. I know I am a good dog owner. And there are always ways to find money if need be. NOT that financial considerations are not important to weigh when making the decision, just saying that a dedicated owner can often scrounge up the cash when push comes to shove.

RDM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that they deserve all the extra time and attention that I can give them in whatever time we have left.

I feel exactly the same about Ross. He has been devoted to me for the last 13 years (to the extent that I have found annoying at times) and deserves some payback. He's fit and healthy for a 13 year old but who knows what is round the corner for any dog, especially on in its teens?

I will do what I need to do for any of them within reason, but will go to no extreme measure for any of them, whether I had one or six. I am comfortable with this philosophy.

Me too.

I had Ross's cruciate fixed last year at considerable expense when he was 12 and healthy.

Would I have done the same if he had been 14 and showing signs of failing through old age? Maybe not.

I live very hand to mouth; affording them can be difficult, especially when bad things happen to a bunch of them at once, <snip>. However, my dogs also have an incredibly wicked life with me, and are much luckier than many other dogs <snip>I will do what I need to do for any of them within reason, but will go to no extreme measure for any of them, whether I had one or six. I am comfortable with this philosophy. I know I am a good dog owner. And there are always ways to find money if need be. NOT that financial considerations are not important to weigh when making the decision, just saying that a dedicated owner can often scrounge up the cash when push comes to shove.

My philisophy exactly.

J.

Julie, you are just trying to put words into my mouth. I said that people need to be comfortable with the number of dogs they own. This is different for each person. *I* want to be able to pay to fix treatable conditions and would be heartbroken if I had to put my dog down because of a lack of funds. Other people are totally comfortable doing that. To each his own.

No Liz, not trying to put words in your mouth; I was trying to figure out where you were coming from because you seemed to be saying that one should include a scenario in which every animal you own has an expensive/catastrophic issue that requires care and at great expense, and you went on to give examples of how that was the case for you. My disagreement with that is simply that one cannot predict such things and while it makes sense to consider whether you can afford X number of dogs on a daily basis, no one can really predict life, and as Mara noted, choosing not to do something for fear of the unknown is not always the best choice. As Sheena and I have both noted, there are options for people who don't have a lot of money and still wish to get emergency care for their pets.

What you just stated above doesn't sound to me quite like what you've said up to this point. But it's probably not worth pursuing further.

J.

I said that people need to be comfortable with the number of dogs they own. This is different for each person.

Very well said.

And while there are times when it is good to take the leap and add a dog to one's household even when circumstances are less than ideal, sometimes there are very good reasons to choose not to add another dog to one's household. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, even when the main reason behind the choice is based on time constraints or financial concerns - perhaps even consideration of potential health costs for multiple senior dogs.

This may really be considered rather shocking, but now that I've done it once, I even take the cost of euthanasia (if necessary) and cremation into account when I'm thinking in terms of future financial necessities for multiple dogs.

It really is a very individual thing.

I currently have two border collies but could easily see me with 5 in the future.

I dont know if its makes a difference other then in cost but with my roommates dogs and mine, we total at 5 border collies and a chihuahua. Not sure what i will do when i move out and only have two dogs. The house will feel empty.

Just going to add on top of its an individual preferences it also depends on the dogs. Currently one of my sister border collie is missing a off switch(could just be age but he is constantly moving or doing something and very vocal). Going around the house or doing chores can at times be difficult when you have 2 border collies (minimum ) underfoot. Dont get me wrong we do give out chews or entertainment when we need them out of the way but 3 of the border collies are powerhouses and seem to compete to see who is done first and another one looses interest fast.

I normally take at least 3 dogs with me to different places without issue. In our area people love seeing 4-5 dogs "behaving" in public. I can even fit all of them in the car. Although i cant have them all secure.