BC Boards

HELP!! My dog is out of control!!!

We've had our BC for about a month now, and she hasn't calmed down at all! We keep her outside on a leash for the day (due to our work schedules), but haven't been able to keep her in the house at all. She chews and bites everything, and we want to be able to restrict her to a certain part of the house for the winter. However, she's way too hyper and we can't leave her outside all the time. She has the potential to be a good dog, but she also jumps up, gets into EVERYTHING and snaps when she gets excited. A main problem we haven't been able to control is the fact that sometimes she won't come when we call her and she'll run away; thinking it's a game. I know this isn't written well, but ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Please don't worry. When my baby was about 5 month old, I thought I was finished. Especially running away, like it was a game. It will get better with time. They are so smart. I never leave mine outside. They love attention and are very busy, not happy about being left anyway. My big boy is inside. Like one of my children. Believe it or not they are better than kids when left inside. Mine still gets a very sad look on his face when he knows we are leaving, and he can't go. I make it a big deal when I get home he sorta howls and say's Momma's Home. Happy, Momma's Home. He is almost 2 now, and by far the greatest and smartest I have ever had. Just give yours lots of love when you leave, and lots of love when you come home. That is really all your baby wants. Try to spend time time time when you are at home. Oh, to try and keep one restricted to a certain part of the house is possible, but you will have to be firm. I have seen it done, and done well, but I enjoy just making mine a part of it all. Good Luck don't be discouraged. What you are experiencing is fairly normal for a young one.

Hi, you may want to be careful about making a big deal when coming home or leaving as you will end up teaching your dog to be overly upset or overly excited depending on whether you're coming or going. If you're having a problem with your dog jumping up the last thing you want to do is excite it even more when you get home. I agree that your dog should not be left alone a lot. I have a dog who was left alone too much and now I'm having to deal with the obsessive habits he developed to entertain himself. BCs want to be doing something and you need to keep them engaged and active. As for restricting your dog to a certain part of the house, I have good luck using baby gates. I have them set so the cats can go underneath. Willow has jumped a gate before (when staying with neighbors for more than a week while I was travelling and then seeing me walk into the house), but 99% of the time they all stay within the gated area. As for chewing everything, make sure your dog has plenty of appropriate chew toys. It take some work on your part to teach the dog what is allowed for chewing and what is not. A bored dog is more likely to chew too. I know this firsthand as I went through a short period when I couldn't give Willow as much exercise as she was used to. Being a dog of expensive taste, she proceeded to chew up a pair of Birkenstock sandals, the expensive orthotic inserts to my running shoes, and my perscription glasses (fortunately I wear contacts, but after having the glasses put back together, when I must use them I have to peer through tooth marks...). Above all, have patience and plan to spend lots of time working/playing with your dog. BCs demand it! smile.gif

------------------

Julie, Indy, Willoughby (Willow), Finn, and Farleigh

Hi Jenny

Try not to worry to much!!! I know what your thinking, your thinking "easy for her to say, she doesn't even know my dog." But cheer up this is most likely going to pass. My BC was a little like this when he was younger but not as extreme as your describing. Try spending as much of your free time as you can exercising your dog. This is very very important!! Also make it perfectly clear to your BC that RUNNING AWAY IS NOT A GAME! Give her a firm NO,a whack on the butt, anything to let her know that you mean business. The same thing goes for the chewing and the snaping. But remember to let her know that you forgive her and that she is still loved! Best of luck to the both of you!

Jess( :

------------------

Jessica

Cinti,OH

Border Collies need to be mentally and physically stimulated. I know that I would go a little crazy too if was kept on a lead during the day.

Have you tried walking your dog before you go to work, walking her when you come and then mentally stimulating her by playing games. Obedience training for the recall. Dog-handler relationship is a two way process.

All dogs are pack animals and like being with their pack, particularly working dogs. My husbad grew up in a sheep farm and even the dogs were locked in their kennel after work, they spent 10-12 hours a day with their pack leader doing what they loved best. The Kelpies and Border Collies had a lot of energy, but they were never hyper nor destructive.

All the best

You didn't mention how old your dog is; although, certainly many of these problems need to be addressed soon!!!

Maybe you should consider getting help training your dog. Make it fun for her. I took Magoo to obedience and she learnt so quickly, she got bored. How about agility? You learn many basic commands; but, it's so much fun for the dog.

As for not coming when called, there's a great book by the monk who train German Shepherds. Any petstore should be familiar with it.... They use a technique where they put the dog on a leash and call it while pulling at the same time. Constantly praise the dog and make it think it is coming on its own. Gradually, give it more leash and do the same. Eventually, you can work up to not having to use the leash at all. (This all works much easier if your dog is food motivated and you reward it. Many BC's aren't food motivated; but, you could try this exercise before you feed it).

Good-luck!!!

You might really work on crate training your dog if you want this to be a house dog. Crates are like surrogate dens to dogs and they naturally relax there because it's safe and quiet. Outside there's all sorts of things they can see but can't get at and other frustrations. You have to really commit to spending a lot of time with your dog because when you're not able to watch her, crate her. This way you can be right there whenever bad behavior starts to correct her.

I've used the kiddie gates to keep dogs out of certain areas of the house. Dogs can easily jump over them, but as I said earlier if you're watching them you can correct them for this. They quickly learn that they're not allowed over the gates. This comes in handy if you want to block the dog off the clean floors or entertain guests that aren't dog friendly (one of our friends 3yr old daughter is terrified of our dog). Anyway, after the gates have been in place for several weeks/months you can take them down and watch your dog carefully again and when she inevitably goes into the forbidden zone, correct her. It won't take but a few of these to let your dog understand that even though the gates aren't there she still can't go in there.

Most all dogs go through that "Catch me if you can!" stage. They learn real early that they are faster than you. I have a fenced in backyard and when mine started that I had a 6 foot long wooden staff handy that I grabbed and used to corral the dog in a corner and I punished him then. He figured out that the long arm of the law would always get him smile.gif

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

P.S. - I don't believe you mentioned any regular daily activities you do with your dog. Border Collies esecially require this or no amount of correcting will give you a well behaved dog. All the jumping. nipping, chewing, foraging through everything behaviors sound like ways to vent off extra energy. Do a short training session and then play ball for a half hour once or twice a day. If your dog can get rid of a lot of extra mental/physical energy and comes in panting and with a content look on her face, you'll find the desire to do all those other things won't be as strong.

[This message has been edited by Sabre (edited 07-20-2000).]

Hi Jenny,

I used to be gone all day as well, and by creating a strict routine, we were able to stop a lot of the "naughty" behavior. Left & came home at the same times daily. She knew when to expect us.

Also, didn't get her excited when I got home, and gave a quick "bye" when leaving in the morning.

I'd wait to pet her until she sat still. She learned that quickly.

I also started obedience training right away, & practiced daily.

The Buster Cube is great for keeping them busy. Put some tasty treats, or dog food in it & they'll work all day until the food is gone.

I've also put peanut butter inside a Kong toy. That takes awhile to get out.

Toys, chews, etc. Get them all.

I'd be careful tying her up all day. I had to tie my Gabbie up once on a lead, and she got tangled constantly. I was afraid to leave her for more than 10 minutes. Or, if you have room for a run, those are safer. Just my personal thoughts.

You might get some kind of kennel or a large crate so she'll be safer, if you're keeping her outside.

Question: Why do you need to tie her up? Is she able to escape?

Everyone made some great points. It takes a lot of work. BC's are not backyard puppies - they need a lot of attention & work. But they can learn a schedule just like a child does.

Stick to it & exercise her mind daily. We named all of Gabbie's toys right from the start. Then at play time we can tell her which to get. Or we hide them & have her find them.

Good luck - let us know how it's going.

Juli

If you're going to keep a border collie confined (and mind, that's confined, not tied), you need to work a serious exercise program into your day. These are dogs who can do 100 miles a day when working, and they need to be run hard for at least an hour a day--the bad behavior is largely boredom. If you run, take the dog along. Or teach her to chase a ball. Or take up bicycling and take her. Something to work the evil spirits out. Tying a dog out is not generally considered good for the disposition. Far better to set up a fenced run with a shelter in case of bad weather.

hi:)

I have to agree with Sherwood, tying a dog all day on a leash or runner, will make a dog very agressive, and will not develop thier social skills. When a dog is tied up, they feel trapped, and as the pup gets older the pup will be more aggressive and skittish.

it also does not promote bonding between the 2 of you. It would be better crate your bc when your gone so at least he can get a sense of security and a feel for your home. most pups will end up making there crate there home and will feel secure.

What do you feed her, Anything really fatty makes my dog hyper, Those Roast bones (that are excellent for keeping him occupied while i'm at work) send him crazy, and i come home to mass destruction after giving him one. Also Badger ran circles round me till i firmed up with him, it was almost as if i had to "have it out" with him to show him who was boss. i have to really bark commands at him sometimes to make him listen, otherwise its as if he's immune to my voice. Husband says i scare "him" sometimes.

Good luck and best wishes