BC Boards

Hot Weather Tips for the Working Ranch Dog

Breed better dogs-dogs that can take the heat and which work'cool headed' as they last longer in the heat. Be respectful of the dog and remember he is probably running MUCH harder than you are (or should be?). He is also near the ground where heat can be reflected making him warmer. if it is windy but hot, you may feel OK but he probably isn't getting much benefit from the breeze as he is lower down and often running in grass which would block any wind benefits.

House him outside so he can acclimate to the temps and build up a heat tolerance, let him have access to water when he is working and hot. Provide shade and water if possible when between jobs

VBEG (very big evil grin)....Serena who is always literally jumping into broiling hot debates says, "NOT QUITE, Smalahundur! Try breeding dogs that can Swim in Iceland with Global Warming Melting all your Glaciers away" :lol:

Pam, hehe, I saw Movie screening clips on Batman Begins with Liam Neeson and Christian Bale practicing their ice duel in Greenland, and the screen clip explaining how the actors were having a hard time practicing their duels on ice because of global warming issues....

Granted Greenland is still more South than Iceland, but give it a decade...... :P

Here is also where our U.S. weather is at.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/record-heat-triple-digits

Kansas is at 107 F / 41.6 C....

Breed better dogs-dogs that can take the heat and which work'cool headed' as they last longer in the heat.

I agree. Heat tolerance is something breeders should breed for. Also, dogs in good condition have more heat tolerance than those that aren't. Sometimes, even the best of the best are vulnerable working hard to move stock in a direction they don't want to go.

Off course my above answer was a bit flippant, I heard about the heat in the US and I do feel for you people.

By the way, Serena though the most southern part of Greenland lies south of Iceland, the largest part of it is more northerly. The climate there is much colder than here (don´t get confused by the names ;) )

Thanks to the warm gulf-stream it´s relatively mild here on this little island.

Me, too Pam! I looove cold ocean locales!!! Pam and I are tortured being landlocked in Kansas! I loved visiting Alaska in 2006 and my cousins live in Newfoundland. I still remember to this day, the gorgeous cliffs, even though I was only 12 at the time and it's been over 3 decades, lol! Every tiny detail I remember! You can see all the sealife deep in those pristine waters. Just BREATHTAKING!!!!

Smalahundur,

Here's a clip about an interesting documentary project Herd in Iceland. There's even a brief (very brief) sheep herding scene:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lanternfishmedia/herd-in-iceland

Nice clip Jeanne, I had read something in the local news about this project.

And yeah, that is how we round up our sheep in the fall, on horseback (apart from those idiots one their quads ;) ) and of course dogs. This year will be the first time I take Gláma along, I am really looking forward to it.

And Pam the reason for these weird names of Iceland and Greenland is supposedly one of the first advertisement scams in history, they tried to lure pioneers to Greenland. Worked too, there have been some viking settlements there, population more than 5000. Didn´t last though, and their fate is shrouded in mystery....

Smalahundur,

Here's a clip about an interesting documentary project Herd in Iceland. There's even a brief (very brief) sheep herding scene:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lanternfishmedia/herd-in-iceland

They appear on the video as a natural walking horse. Very smooth. In the horse herd scenes, I didn't see running/galloping at all. Of course there was that great scene toward the end, of the girl trotting (walking fast?) her horse. What is that gait called? Nice video. -- TEC

yeahhhhh, I was wondering about that gait, never seen anything like it, lol! hehe, very cute pony-like horses, but I was giving the sheep my "Eye" for the night, lol! I love those fat sheep and the Border Collies-- was looking for this and ahhh too brief of a spot for them. But I love the videography and the beautiful scenery....Vimeo has some of the best! animations and video but you have to really surf and weed out the junk- et al. when us artist-types get too weird and pretentious.....Designing "excess" or being off in Lala land. Would be great if we could get B.C. herding videos the quality of that horse herding cameo. There was one real cool comical one with the LED Samsung commercial spot, but that was just for play/comedy/Clint Eastwood spoof. We need one serious one I'm thinking....There's so many spectacular opportunities with the B.C. I would think, and what better place than Iceland or Oregon or Scotland/Ireland, somewhere with tons of green space and landscaping contrasts....

Sue is right, they are gaited horses, and that gait is called tölt. They also pace, but that is only allowed at high speed, running pace. By the way they do also have the three "normal" gaits. It´s a bit complex to go into the biomechanica off it ;) .

Pretty small, and yes ponies, but don´t call them that when there are Icelandic horse owners within ear shot!

Lol, yes, I'll be veerrrry careful to always refer to them as horses. But I think they'd understand if they saw the Welsh Pony, which I was referring to. There are a few breeds that have the long elegant legs and carriage. I wasn't referring to the ones with the short-legs and thick-torso.

http://www.welshponies.com/sig_4670sm.jpg

http://www.theequinest.com/breeds/images/welsh-pony-2.jpg

http://hqworld.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=22816&sessionid=027c27352328299252be563e9907fc45

The Icelandic horse is absolutely beautiful to watch. What I love most is their curving necks, the flowing mane and the alertness in their eyes. I actually like best the Icelandic horses' full running gait, but the tölt is very cool too. Hehe, I love biomechanics, so please explain away Smalahundur! One cannot enjoy 3D animation or!!!! dance without biomechanics.... Speaking of biomechanics and gorgeous videography, hope people don't mind if I go off-topic but I saw a killer "biomechanic" video on Vimeo. Sheeeesh! Now if only we can get someone to do this with taking gorgeous video of Border Collies herding combined with the captures of farm life in preparing sheep.... Too bad I don't know how to do video-ing. I only know how to do After-Effects but my specialty is really 3D modeling.... And one needs great footage/the original capture anyway to have a worthy video. I try to study video like these to make me a better artist.

Oops, folks I just looked more carefully at Vimeo. The person creating this video uses Premiere CS5 which I have at my new job, but his camera much to my shock is not! a video camera :o but the D Canon series the Canon EOS 5D Mark III listed at a whopping $3,484.00 Hmmmmmm....