BC Boards

Chewing - HELP!

I tried going to the archives. But there were way too many possible versions of the problem. If you can narrow it down, that's all I really need.

We have Dixie, a rescue via CBCR, for a 2-week trial. I love her - 7-month-old smooth-coated female who does not seem destined for herding or agility. Just a lovely but energetic companion. She actually accepts going into the crate when we cook, when we eat dinner, when we go to bed. She's OK with the cat, although she really does want Maggie to be a bouncy puppy. She's done fine meeting neighbors - dogs, women, and men in her order of preference.

She tries to scarf food from the coffee table, the counters when we cook, the kitchen table, the dryer where the cat eats.... A plant mister is helping a lot with that.

But she chews. We got her Friday afternoon. Saturday morning, she chewed the front corner of a library paperback (I've taped the words back and read that chapter - but I'll admit it all to the library) and a wicker waste basket. She walks off with my sandals or DH's sneakers. And his socks. (OK, he shouldn't leave as much around, but I've been training HIM for 46 years and this is as far as I've gotten.)

So I crate her at night, when we go out, and when we cook, and when we eat dinner. I've sprayed the wicker waste basket and the snake plant in the kitchen (which she picked out to chew). But she's older than Ferg was when we got her. And it was easier to train a 10-week-old that a 7-month-old. If we keep her crated, how will she learn how to behave when she isn't crated? Most of her wrong chewing has been when we were otherwise occupied - as in not in the room. But she also chews a rawhide bone, any soft toy, or her Kong way more than we think is good for her.

Any and all suggestions, comments, whatever will be gratefully accepted. Yeah, you can even yell at me and tell me I'm stupid. At my age, I've had my parents and kids do that enough that I'm OK with it. I can, at least, "inwardly digest" it all and come out with something workable for us.

Hi, Nancy-

Every young dog we've ever rescued has been in the 7-8 month range and has had chewing issues. Crating helps at night and when you're not home, but, as you've pointed out, is not the answer 100% of the time.

I would make sure she is always in the same room with you when you are home, even if you have to tether her to you. And also make sure that, during those times, she has access to appropriate chew toys. And praise the dickens out of her whenever she chews something appropriate.

I'm sure the wise folks on this board will have other ideas for you.

Good luck, and thanks for rescuing what sounds like a great dog!

Jennifer

So, is it OK to let her spend the evening chewing something that's OK to chew? I worry that it looks a tad compulsive. I don't mind "some" chewing. But from 6:30 to 11:00 seems to be overdoing it. Which is why I stop her.

Chewing is a tough stage to get through. I agree with Jennifer that you may want to tether Dixie to you for a time so she's never unattended. On the occasions that Dixie picks up or chews something that is unacceptable, do a trade-off with an acceptable chew.

Never scold or punish. She isn't being naughty just for naughty sake. When she has a shoe or decides the coffee table leg is delectable, trade with her. Offer her an acceptable alternative and act like it's waayy cooler than what she has. She'll be intrigued by the new thing and should willingly "trade". When she takes it praise the heck out of her. You may, at times, have to remind her with a simple and gentle, "uh-uh", as you move forward in the process, but she'll get it soon. Eventually she'll be making proper chew choices on her own.

Remember the 3 P's: practice, patience and persistence.

Good luck, and may your shoes and furniture live to see another day unscathed! :D

edit: chewing is a natural activity. Unless she is becoming obsessive, like you can't get her attention on something else, I don't see that there is a problem. Some dogs are just chewers.

Is her chewing habit a symptom that she's bored/frustrated? Is she taking out her excess energy on objects around her?

Maybe she needs more exercise? More mental stimulation?

Otherwise, my plan of action is to have a house full of appropriate chew items and nothing else. I have antlers, Nylabones and recreational bones available in my house at all times. Now that everyone is grown up they don't get used all that much -- until a foster puppy comes through and suddenly everything belongs to Secret again and she has a desperate need to chew on all of them at the same time so the puppy can't have one....

First of all, congrats! Second of all, where the heck are the pictures?

As for chewing, she's at that age, and it's quite possible she's been left to her own devices in the past. I would never let her out of my sight until she's reliable. However if she is out of your sight, and chews something, the only way to correct her is to catch her in the act. *shrugs* And by correct, I mean give her a stern "no" or "ahhht!" when she puts her mouth on something inappropriate. I agree that 6:30 to 11:00 seems like a long time to be chewing, but maybe you can break that up with some short play sessions and training sessions, and then let her chill with a bone to chew, but at least it's not a constant thing.

Well at least she's only chewing things. Faye who is almost 7 months not only chews things, anythings she can get her little teeth around and then proceeds to eat it!

I love elk antlers, only thing that has saved her butt as well as mine. Pricey but less so than your favorite pair of shoes or the coffee table! She managed to eat the tuff tire toy I bought her. My sisters hard mouth rottie didn't even do that!

I keep her in the corner of my eye at all times, or else in her crate. She still manages to chew things...she's a little devil but I like what someone else put on here once. If you get mad at her for chewing or some other bad behavior, roll up a newspaper and smack yourself in the head with it. Your fault for letting her out of your site or not having her in her crate if you're not watching!

Favorite motto as of late....Faye you are only a puppy for a short while, this to shall pass!

I don't worry bout her chewing what she's supposed to, if I did, I'd redirect her to some other activity. But sometimes late at night what else is a puppy to do???

I think she cold just need more supervision and maybe more structured exercise. Even though she looks like an adult, she's just an overgrown puppy right now.

Kenzi was a chewer at that age too. I supervised, had appropriate toys for her and crated when I couldn't supervise. She did grow out of it. She still likes to chew a bit, but limits herself to her toys.

Maybe you could try some treat dispensing toys (feed her out of them!) with her to give her something to do and an appropriate/engaging toy to play with

All good suggestions so far. I'll will also suggest - try and see how the puppy does with a Kong that has been stuffed (canned dog food and/or PB and/or wetted kibble, etc.) and frozen. Freezing a stuffed Kong causes my dog to lick more than chew (maybe trade one OCD behavior for another? :D ) and significantly lengthens the time it takes him to lick all the food out of the Kong.

Jovi

Timely thread!...I'm copying all these suggestions..Mr. Flint chewed through the keyboard cord today while DH was 'watching' him.... time for a cordless keyboard and mouse! :D