BC Boards

ARGH... people...doh.

The title about explains how I feel.

Rocky is such a sweet dog. but his family, well , his family sucks.

they got him ignorent of the fact that MAYBE just MAYBE he might need some exercise. he is such a great job, and they have finally figured out that he deserves a better home.

I just wish that there was a way to ban stupid/ignorent/OBLIVIOUS people from getting dogs. wether the dog is for a child, or for fun or just to have a companion...

Let me change that I wish these people would get the lap dogs they want rather then getting a "herding" dog because thats what happens to be "cool" right now. I am seeing SO many GREAT dogs all the time go homeless because of Stupid S***s thinking that getting a Border collie or ACD will be cool. and they won't have to worry about the dog being destructive because they will walk him/her for 30 mins once a week or so and let them run around in there back yard.

and then NOT be able to understand why the dog is tearing apart their home!!!

and when I try to explain this to these "owners" they get this self rightous attitude about them, like they don;t need my advice, they are not going to try anything because they know best and this dog is unbearable. then they are going to piss themselves when they see this dog a couple of months later, well behaved and happy. and wonder, gee how did they do that? I think I will try again, it doesn't look that hard. of course then they go and screw up another dogs life.

ok now that thats out. check the link and see if you can help the poor pup above

Elizabeth

Poor little guy.

The sad thing is...I'm not even sure if the owners saw the dog a few months later that they'd even make the connection to themselves and his behavior. They'd just figure he's 'older and mellowed out' or something. I knew some people that had that same issue and they just never got it. *disgusted sound*

I think everybody sould have to pass a test before they should ever think about getting one! I really don't like the people that think "hey how hard can it be? so they need a little work, so what" I get so mad when another dog comes back to the shelter because "they didn't know how playful he was" I was at the shelter a few days ago and some guy brought back a dog after a month because him and his girlfriend decited to move to a new place that didn't allow dogs. I got so mad (even though I couldn't do anything) because when you get an animal you make sure everything you do after that is for you and the dog/cat etc. We have passed up some good houses because the barns weren't good enough for our horses. That's what you have to do when you own an animal. Sorry just a sharp point for me I guess :rolleyes:

Whew, I'm glad I got that off my chest

"I think everybody sould have to pass a test before they should ever think about getting one! I really don't like the people that think "hey how hard can it be? so they need a little work..."

I've been saying this about parenting since I was a child. I stopped saying anything like this because it is horribly politically incorrect to be a Platonist these days.

People get all breeds of dogs for stupid reasons, like the woman who bought a golden because he matched her living room decor and then turned the dog in when she redecorated. No BS - I was at the shelter when it happened. She handed in his "papers" as if that was going to ensure he was adopted.

A rescue I foster for had a screened home return a puppy because of a bladder infection - they didn't want "sickly" dog.

We also had a shelter adopter return after less than 48 hours because the dog "didn't bond".

The new pup I just got was from an add for free border collie in the paper. The dog was 4 months when they got her. They kept her for 2 months then put an add out.

The dog was terrible, she was jumping up and nipping at my face when I came to look at her. She wasn't potty trained, had no manners what so ever. Their house was almost destroyed by this dog. At first I thought they just didn't know how to handle her, then they gave me all of her vet bills and humane society papers. I looked through them and the shelter had given them tons of info from exactly how to train commands to stuff pertaining just to border collies, like lots of exercise. The people even took notes.

That was it though they definitely didn't use it on the dog.

I'm happy to say though she is turning out to be a really well behaved girl, that is easy to train.

As some of you know I got our Scampi without looking into the breed....

but also as you know I took an intense training lesson and read up on everything I could and scampi is trained several times a day and has nice entertaining walks twice a day and is a great companion too.

I know that his training will be a lifetime job but I love it, its great to teach new things all the time.

Just wanted to add my bit but I agree most dont have a clue if they havent looked into it and dont give their dog enough stimulation!

Luckily for me this site was available which set me on my way to finding out everything I needed to know. and I love reading through everyones experiences.

Originally posted by shelb'smum:

We actually had someone return a dog because he didn't lick them enough.....

Here we've seen dogs turned in because they DO lick. And of course, the family always has a baby and they just can't stand to have the baby licked by the dog (God forbid they pick the baby up off the floor)

I was thrilled at my daughter's baby showers, which we let her friends host at out house (best offer ever).

Two families came with crawling baby boys. By the end of the afternoon, both boys and Fergie were in the kitchen, under the table, sharing a tennis ball. Throwing, chasing, and chewing.

Elena has grown up (4-1/2 now) doing the same. Of course, her Mom and our other 2 kids did that and more.

I figure that kid spit won't hurt the dog, so it's OK.

Originally posted by nancy:

I was thrilled at my daughter's baby showers, which we let her friends host at out house (best offer ever).

Two families came with crawling baby boys. By the end of the afternoon, both boys and Fergie were in the kitchen, under the table, sharing a tennis ball. Throwing, chasing, and chewing.

Elena has grown up (4-1/2 now) doing the same. Of course, her Mom and our other 2 kids did that and more.

I figure that kid spit won't hurt the dog, so it's OK.

My sister, cousin and I grew up in a house full o dogs. We rolled around with them, shared tennis balls, etc. I am happy to say that none of us (canine or human) suffered damage, trauma, or otherwise came to harm.

Worst part? When Kayla the beagle died at *18*, that was bad bad bad. Mother took to her bed, bawling, as did my sister and cousin (who lived with us). Dad hung out despondently in the garage, and I drove up a tankful or two of gas, just aimlessly driving.

At 50, I can honestly say that dog spit has not killed me yet, nor have my "kisses" killed the dogs.

If puppy kisses kill, well I would be long dead Thay haven't killed me yet, and probably wont either.

I can't believe some of the stuff people come up with to bring them back. It makes me so mad :mad:

I tend to view the reasons that people return pets with a bit of cynicism. Kind of like a break up scenario, people never want to A) hurt the other person and :rolleyes: come off as looking bad.

So you hear things like "he licks too much" when really the silly git (deadbeat owner) just found out that walking the dog twice a day and having to give it attention, feed it, play with it, and vet it were all really inconvenient and cut into their tv time. But they can't say that because who wants to admit to being that shallow.

They probably figure that if they return the dog for the asinine reason of too much licking, it won't hurt the dogs chances to be adopted by someone else. It is the whole "its not you its me" thing, you would never say "your too co-dependent, require far too much attention and commitment of my time, are too demanding of affection...etc" no you would say, gee my job has changed and I just can't give you what you need...what you deserve etc

So yeah, I think human vanity and ego prompt alot of lies in this situation.

All of this to say, that I really don't think we deserve the love and worship taht our canines bestow on us.... as a species we are decidedly unworthy.

Sara