BC Boards

Adoption bios

What information do you think should be put in the information of a dog up for adoption?

I was reading the website of a local rescue. They have two main 'styles' of bio. One is an information-heavy third person presentation of a dog (Energy level? Breed? Background? Age? Personality?), focusing on the positives, and the other is a first-person appeal for a home which often has little useful information. The bio of one dog could have been summarized as 'shy'. "I love walks and would like a warm bed and a nice family" sort of stuff.

Lots of references to the rescuers as 'minstering angels', and histories given which are unverified ("I had a lovely home but then I got out a window and someone took me to the rescue, and they couldn't find my family") in the second category.

So- does that kind of stuff work on non-curmudgeons, and therefore is good? What info would you like on a bio, and what kind of style do you think is most effective?

As someone who may be adopting another BC in the next 6-12 months (currently in Afghanistan, so no sooner than that!), I want to know age, sex, any health issues, reactivity and/or suitability around children, cats and other dogs mentioned. If the dog is high energy, or needs to herd to be happy, I'd like to know that as well. And if the dog likes balls or frisbees or whatever, I'd love to figure out in advance if the dog just "likes" the ball or if the dog is essentially suffering from OCD in relation to the object, car-chasing, etc. The pity party ads do a disservice to border collies, unless you've got an elderly dog looking for a home, IMHO.

I know they are run by volunteers but I feel like a few extra minutes of their time to write up a really detailed description can mean getting a home now, later, never, or the wrong home. Same thing with photos.

I really dislike seeing the pity ones too-"I used to be loved but someone abandoned me (unverified typically) and now I am looking to just snuggle or I am so sad because I have no home, won't you take me etc etc."

That gives me zero info on the dog. There are so many things you can write about a dog and what their suitable home would be. I personally love Glenhighland Farm's write ups-great photos, lots of detail, background info if known, what kind of home would be best, good with cats, children, dogs, etc all are listed in detail. I typically want to take home almost every dog because of their great bio and photos!

I also thought I read somewhere that statistically shelters that make their buildings more home like and more visually appealing (including more positive bios for the animals) are more likely to have higher adoption rates. Basically, no one wants to bring their little kids to the dark damp depressing shelter with a bunch of sad dogs who are on death row, they want to go to the cozy breeders home with the happy puppies!

I write bios for the dogs I foster for ABC Rescue. I routinely write them from the dog's point of view. I include verifiable information regarding the dog's history if the rescue knows it - such as a dog being surrendered to a shelter due to an eviction, being an owner surrender, from a puppy mill seizure, etc.; age, weight, sex, color; personality type; whether good w/kids, cats, small dogs; medical issues; whif the dog has had any training; if the dog has any bad habits; and any talent the dog shows, i.e., balls, frisbee, herding drive, etc. I try to present everything in as positive manner as possible. I'm honest about the dog but I do try to present it in the best light I can because I want people to see the dog as a wonderful potential pet/family member.

I know this is a working board although many of the members have pets. I may not be able to accurately state this but one of the sadder things in rescue for this particular breed is how few homes there are where the dog can do what it was actually bred to do, i.e., be a working dog. I personally would love to be able to place all of the rescue dogs that show working potential in working homes; however, since that does not seem possible, placing the dogs in pet homes that will find adequate outlets for the dog's needs and exercise is the best that can be done.

We're searching through various adoption sites for our second border collie (or bc mix, of course). Fergie died just before Easter last year, at 15+.

I prefer an honest evaluation of the dog. We're looking for a female between about 6 months and 2 years, preferably smooth-coated. We have a 6-year-old cat who must be accommodated. Our grandgirls are 10 and 16, so babies and toddlers are not a concern.

I want to know the sex and age. I'm willing to have the spaying done, but any dog will be neutered. I'd like to know the way the dog reacts with people, cats, and other dogs. I'd like to know the energy level as, although we are in our 60s, we are quite active and expect at least four 1-mile walks in the neighborhood, through the field and woods, and around the pond. And not at "zimmer-frame pace"!

I know it's not always easy to judge, but I do get upset about contacting a rescue for a 1-year-old pup and learning that she's 4. If you don't know, say so. Of course, the person turning the pup in may be lying.

And I'd really like to know where the dog is if I can come for a visit. As much as we want a dog, we really don't feature a 4-hour drive - each way. But I'd hate to miss a dog in the next town because the name of the rescue implies the location is out of state.

And I really get turned off at blurbs that purport to be written by the dog. Cutesy and I don't mesh. Unless the dog is way smart even for a border collie and can actually talk - or master typing - you're making it up. Tell me what you know, what you think, even what you hope. But YOU tell me.

I want the facts needed for me to determine if this is a dog that is going to fit in my home. Age, sex, size, coat type, personality, good with cats/dogs/kids/small animals, activity level, health concerns, behavioral issues, etc. I hate it when all the fluff is added, but important information is left out (like age, even if approximate).

When I was looking to adopt, informative bios helped me quickly eliminate dogs that were not what I was looking for (old dogs, cat haters, dogs that barked a lot).

It doesn't really matter to me why a dog ended up in rescue unless is was a behavioral problem. I think information about the previous owner's life (health issues, death, sent over seas, lost house/job, etc) is personal and should really not be posted publicly since it doesn't directly relate to the dog. It can be discussed in person when an adopter meets the dog, but I don't think it belongs in an adoption bio. Neither does any speculation about possible, but unknown history.

Clear pictures that show more than just the dogs face are a huge plus too. Videos of the dog interacting with people or other dogs are nice also, though I'm sure many rescuer don't have time.

In my experience, good pictures work better than anything else...pics that show personality and facial expression and in which the dog looks healthy and not scared. Several times I have put new photos on an existing bio and had several inquiries on dogs that had been posted for several weeks. People read bios, and they may enjoy one style or another, but its the photos that catch their eye.

I work with ABCR, and write the bios that appear for each of my foster dogs. I of course present the dog in the best light I can, but it is equally important to mention needs, describe an "ideal home" situation, and include all facts about weight, coat, personality, age, energy level, cat and child suitability, and so on.

What is important is for the person reading the bio at first to have a clear view of this dog's personality and any special needs, and not clutter the bio with "stories" or details. If the dog is an escape artist, I put that in the bio. If the dog has been known to have occasional stomach upset or doesn't do well on certain foods, I don't bother to mention that; it can be brought up later if the people meeting the dog are interested. In other words, things that could be deal-breakers should be mentioned in the bio. Details can be told later. Good photos are a must. The bio should be "just the facts, ma'am", in my opinion.

Interesting that this came up because I am about to put up a bio for my current foster dog, Kelso. Hard to write that bio! If you have read my thread about Kelso in the rescue resources section, you know that he has come light years from where he started over a year ago, but is still unlikely even to take food from a stranger. I have to find a way to let people know that this dog's quirky, sweet, and amazingly gentle personality is worth the effort that will have to be made to gain his trust at first. It's a challenge!

D'Elle

I know this is a working board although many of the members have pets. I may not be able to accurately state this but one of the sadder things in rescue for this particular breed is how few homes there are where the dog can do what it was actually bred to do, i.e., be a working dog. I personally would love to be able to place all of the rescue dogs that show working potential in working homes; however, since that does not seem possible, placing the dogs in pet homes that will find adequate outlets for the dog's needs and exercise is the best that can be done.

Working dogs take months to train and years to season into a top notch partner. Knowing a dog's pedigree (the working history of their ancestors, not the names printed on paper) gives you a good idea of how a dog will eventually turn out. However, even dogs with the best pedigrees don't always turn out as expected. In their cases, a great deal of time, money, sweat and tears have been invested only to realize the dog will not live up to your expectations. Until you have gone through this you can't really know how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be. Given that people can only own so many dogs, they want to minimize their chances of ending up with a dog that does not meet their needs.

For a rescue to appeal to the majority of working dog people you would either need to get the foster dogs started on sheep to show they have potential and be able to provide a pedigree back up your claims of potential, or you would need to fully train them and be able to clearly demonstrate their ability to work.

JMHO.

In my experience, good pictures work better than anything else...pics that show personality and facial expression and in which the dog looks healthy and not scared. Several times I have put new photos on an existing bio and had several inquiries on dogs that had been posted for several weeks. People read bios, and they may enjoy one style or another, but its the photos that catch their eye.

Yup^^

The reason I filled out an application for Kenzi was the expression on her face. Her description was promising but basic. The picture was full of expression and made me fall in love with her.

Along with good pictures I like to see some good basic info as to energy level, personality (i.e., outgoing or shy, etc) age, then some specifics if needed for the dog (i.e. deathly afraid of men, taking agility classes and doing great, etc)

I like pictures and a factual bio, I hate cutesy and ones from a dogs perpspective. I want to know the positives and the negative so I can make an educated decision. I occasionally edit bios for the foster dogs I have and always make them a little less cute and more realistic. As I update the site my edits always stand :D

An example would be Kelso, with him I would love to know how far he has come, but also how far he has to go..... That way you would be able to make an honest assessment if you would be the right people to continue his journey to becoming a happy dog.

I quite like a short, factual bio that admits "We just got this dog in with no history, and don't know much about him yet" with all the info they have so far. Much better to my mind than guesswork or speculation, and it makes me more inclined to adopt from that rescue.

I agree that good pictures are key. Video is even better. I adopted/purchased both Secret and Kaiser from a photo (although I did get to meet Secret before committing).

Add me to the list of people who can't stand bios written from the dog's perspective. I think they are stupid.

If you are trying to attract sport homes I can tell you that we want to know one thing -- Does the dog play? What toys does the dog like? Does the dog retrieve? Does the dog tug? Is it food motivated?

I always make videos for my fosters -- They include several cute still photos, shots of the dog playing and showing the skills it knows/has learned. They don't have to be long, as most people don't have an attention span longer than a couple of minutes when they are just "browsing."

I like both bio's as long as they are both informative.

When i was looking to rehome a cat. I got more responses when i was writing the bio from the cat prospective then when i just wrote the info now. Both had the same pics and said similar stories.

• 2 years later...

I hate first person bios. They just kind of irk me in the way that things like 'fur kids' do.

When I was looking for Hank I rarely saw good descriptions. Hank's was only about 6 lines long and 2 of those were about how his coat color was so pretty (which I didn't care about at all). The things that sold the deal were that it mentioned he was cuddly, liked to play, and was good with other dogs. That was literally all they said about him. Well that and he had a beautiful spotted coat.

The shelter where I volunteer does the cutesy bios for the dogs on the kennel cards (i.e. "I'm in my golden years and would love a warm lap to curl up on") but they throw in specific details like "I'd love a home as the only pup but my devotion will be endless" or some such comment if the dog is only suited to be in a single dog home. Kids in particular love these kinds of bios and the satellite shelter I'm at really caters to families coming in and getting a dog together since it's part of the Petsmart Charities program and located inside of a Petsmart.

Then once the people are interested, they get a full history (as much as the shelter knows), including the vet's assessment on intake or transfer and any conditions noted or medications being given. They'll also indicate the presence of any chronic or possible medical conditions, behavior problems or concerns (the possible adopters get the honest results of the behavior all assessment and the unfiltered comments that go along with it), and suggestions from the veterinary and/or training team on things to watch out for and/or address after adoption (like if the dog has a penchant for butt poking that should probably be curbed before it becomes a habit - had one of those a few weeks ago and the new owners thought it was a hoot).

As in... the dog pokes people's butts?

If so I have one of those, I didn't know there were others out there. She only does it intermittently, she pokes you in the back of the knee or up the skirt.

It got me into trouble when I took her out to the park on Halloween night. People were out in the freezing cold in 'sexy whatever' costumes. With short skirts. An affectionate labrador with an extraordinarily cold nose is not a friend to those in short skirts.

This is a fun, interesting topic. I'm also not a fan of the first person (dog?) bios, but I prefer them to sparse, useless information. When I was looking to adopt, I checked sex, age, weight, general health, and personality. I enjoyed reading the long ones and I was much more drawn to dogs with full bios. Multiple pictures were always welcome, as they helped give me a better overall idea of the dog. Videos? Even better! I know that those take more time though, so I saw them as a bonus. Kieran's bio was something like "we'll update this as soon as we get to know him better." I took him before that happened.

Here's Hank's bio. Only one photo of him lying down too. Not sure what it was that made me think 'I HAVE to go meet this dog right now!'

"What a beautiful dog! Hank is a small 9 month old Heeler mix. He has the cute perky ears and merle coat of a Heeler. You can see his short tail too. Hank has a fun personality! He likes to run and play and also enjoys lots of cuddle time. Hank likes dogs of all sizes. He's a good boy!"

Let's not even go into the fact that they thought he was merle. ;)

I think it was 'he's a good boy' that sold the deal. And he is a very good boy.

I can see using first person bios to attracts kids, but my shelter also uses them on Facebook from time to time and it seems a little weird to me. It doesn't make me more apt to choose a certain dog, but they are good about including the dog's history like "I'm not a fan of cats, but I would love another dog to play with." As a way of explaining the dog is good with dogs, but bad with cats.

One of my shelters doesn't post pictures of animals needing home, which to me is a huge missed opportunity!

@Simba - Yep, butt pokers just like you described. Mine does that occasionally and I agree, cold snoots are no friend to those not wearing pants.

@Cass - I hate when there's no picture. People fall in love with FACES, not words. I think it's a huge missed opportunity when the dogs on the shelter site don't have photos. One of my jobs as a volunteer is to update photos when they're missing. I try to get good head and body shots with some personality.