BC Boards

Dog toys that make you go, "Hmmmm."

A friend of mine who worked at Petco showed me those awhile ago... They even come in different sizes. I'd be too scared to buy one just because of how my friends and family are; they wouldn't automatically assume DOG TOY when they saw that!!

I'm seriously considering getting one of these - the dogs would love it and if all you younger ladies hadn't mentioned it, I probably wouldn't have thought a thing about what anyone else might imagine it was!

PS - SafeStix is awfully similar-looking and -sounding to SafeSex. Just saying...

For those who have dogs who are obsessed with sticks and you wish for a more "doesn't look like sex toy" kind of toy, check out Grriggles:

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.cfm/grriggles-rubber-stick-dog-toys

Secret has a couple of those and she goes nuts over them, too. The SafeStix is longer (at least the model I purchased) and more bendy. It's very grippy and the knobs on each end make for an even better hold.

I totally get the idea behind why the SafeStix is such a great toy, but they could have rethought the design JUST a bit. B)

Mine would too. I'd even by one for fetch games and let people think what they will, lol!

J.

I will certainly buy one. (I will be interested to see if my pet store carries it. Would it be censored? :) )

I think it would be enlightening to observe the reactions of observers when one's dog plays with it. :D

Regarding the Chew-Monster on the video - very cute design, but not very effective tester for quality control. I think they should have real-life quality control chewers. I volunteer my dog. He is better than he was when he was 1, 2 or 3, but at 5, he still sees it as one of his goals in life to decimate his chew toys. I have to be careful what toys I leave out, because if I am not actively playing with him, he just hunkers down and starts chewing, gripping and tearing at his toy. Luckily, he limits his chewing to his toys and nothing in the house.

Jovi

For those who have dogs who are obsessed with sticks and you wish for a more "doesn't look like sex toy" kind of toy, check out Grriggles:

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.cfm/grriggles-rubber-stick-dog-toys

My dog has 2 of these too, and he loves to chase them. They throw very well also.

But again, he has chewed the end off of one when I left it outside without supervision.

Jovi

I did get a look from the (older) woman at the check-out counter last night. She had never seen one before and was a bit surprised by its design. I felt the need to explain to her that the only reason I was buying it was because it was such a joke amongst the dog folks. :blink::lol:

Regarding durability, my dogs don't have free access to toys, they are only for training (or for being stolen out of the garage when I'm not looking, which is how many die....). Thankfully they seem to last quite a while this way. I examined the SafeStix last night and didn't really even find any tooth marks on it. Kind of like that scary Zogoflex material used in the WestPaw toys.

I've checked at my pet supply store and they don't have it - yet! But they are checking into it. I think my dogs would enjoy it and we are rural so, hopefully, no one will notice me tossing it around the yard...

I bought one because Odin loves sticks, and is always bring them to people at work to throw which I HATE. So when I saw it at Petco I thought GREAT! and the obvious didn't even enter my mind. :rolleyes: Got out of the car at work with it and some guys were out there wanting to throw sticks for Odin and I said, "you should use this, sticks are dangerous!" They could barely keep it together, at which point I realized what it looked like, so I laughed it off like I meant to embarrass THEM. Not sure if it worked... :P No one will take this toy outside with him at work, its too bad because it really is a nice design if your dog likes...sticks. Yeah.

I bought one because Odin loves sticks, and is always bring them to people at work to throw which I HATE. So when I saw it at Petco I thought GREAT! and the obvious didn't even enter my mind. :rolleyes: Got out of the car at work with it and some guys were out there wanting to throw sticks for Odin and I said, "you should use this, sticks are dangerous!" They could barely keep it together, at which point I realized what it looked like, so I laughed it off like I meant to embarrass THEM. Not sure if it worked... :P No one will take this toy outside with him at work, its too bad because it really is a nice design if your dog likes...sticks. Yeah.

Too, too funny! Am I the only one who looked at the toy and didn't think anything until someone else mentioned it? Probably...

Ya know. The minute I saw it I thought lots of things. Heck, maybe the bough some naughty store overstock and slapped a dog toy label on it? I just wasn't sure what was going to be okay to post. Ive shown this to a few friends, and the have each asked "is this a joke?"

No, you're not alone Sue, and I'm usually quick to pick up on stuff like that. Though I see how people could look at it that way, it doesn't really strike me as all that sex toyish really, though obviously I'm in the minority on that count! ;)

Now that metal exercise thing that you sort of shake? Ads on TV for it, which we saw at a Red Robin while eating one night? That one had us cracking up! Totally sexual.... :D

J.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that made that connection when I saw KONG's newest product!!! :blink:

No, you're not alone Sue, and I'm usually quick to pick up on stuff like that. Though I see how people could look at it that way, it doesn't really strike me as all that sex toyish really, though obviously I'm in the minority on that count! ;)

Now that metal exercise thing that you sort of shake? Ads on TV for it, which we saw at a Red Robin while eating one night? That one had us cracking up! Totally sexual.... :D

J.

I think it's called a "shake-weight" or something to that effect. I almost died laughing when I saw the video for it! I originally saw the parody that South Park did on it, but I didn't think it was actually real! The South Park version of it is a little more explicit, so I won't go into detail, but I'm sure there are clips of it on youtube.