BC Boards

Funniest food item stolen

I thought it would me entertaining to post some of the funniest, strangest foods your dogs have eaten or stolen.

Our boy is trusted to have free roam of the house when we are not home and has never stolen any food or rummaged through the garbage. However, we moved from an apartment to a house 2 months ago and we made sure his routine did not change much but he must have felt some stress because in a one week span he ate 2 loaves of bread off the counter! These were 2 whole loaves, wrapped in plastic, near the back of the counter; he devoured it all. One was on the counter for less than 15 minutes while we stepped out to the barn. This behavior is unheard of for him and I hate to say it, but we found it somewhat amusing. We now stash all bread products on top of the fridge. :D

Any out of the ordinary foods your dogs go nuts for or have 'stolen'?

It's not an unusual food, it's the way he eats it. Popcorn, it took Micah about 5 minutes to eat 1 piece. He took it down to rice sized pieces spread all around and then ate it, one tiny piece at a time.

Other than Rudder's affinity for horse manure (ewww) he hasn't stolen any food. My brother and SIL's dog, however, could have a book written about her. They think she might be a rough coated collie/husky or golden mix. She looks a bit like a goldish coyote.

She's a rescue dog that had obviously been living on the streets for a while, where apparently she learned to hide food to survive. She has been known to stash food with remarkable creativeness and stealth. Despite their best efforts, they've found breadsticks in the bottom of the laundry hamper, chicken under the bed, toast in the back corner of a closet, etc etc. Once (before they knew the extent of her food-stealing prowess) they left the 8 jalapeño burgers they'd just made sitting on the counter for less than a minute while they knocked on the door of their duplex neighbors to see if they wanted any. When they turned around, all 8 burgers and the dog were no where to be found. They ransacked the house and never found a single jalapeño burger. She had eaten all 8 of them in less than a minute, and the only evidence was her occasional jalapeño-tinged burps for the rest of the day. That was when they decided she has a stomach of steel. And never turned their backs on food again.

My favorite story though has to be last thanksgiving. My brother, his wife, my parents, my grandparents, and my husband and I all met in a somewhat central location where we rented a house for the holiday. My brother and SIL brought the dog, Daisy. After the Thanksgiving meal, we cleaned everything up, but stupidly left the turkey carcass in the back corner of the (very tall) counter. Then we all drove into town to watch them turn on the Christmas lights. It turns out we had the wrong day, so we actually were only gone about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, with a dog as talented as Daisy, 15 minutes was all she needed, though apparently she wanted more. Daisy met my mom at the door and wouldn't let her in the house. My mom had to physically push Daisy put of the way. Daisy was very adament that we didn't go into our rooms. Finally, we figured out that the carcass was missing, and so started the Great Carcass Hunt of 2011. My SIL, mortified, ran around the house trying to find what was left of it, while Daisy did her very best innocent dog impression and the rest of us alternated between laughing hysterically and finding random bones hidden under the couch cushions, under beds, and evidence that she had snacked on it on the rug. The funniest part was how she hid the remainder in my brother and SIL's room. She had apparently eaten some of it on my brother's pillow, based on the grease stains, but she flipped the pillow over so it wouldn't be noticeable. The main bones they found on the floor next to the bed, with the comforter dragged over it and folded under it to hide it. Needless to say, we did a VERY thorough cleaning of that house before we left!

I've got a good one I think.

A few years ago, my boyfriend at the time and I went fishing at a local lake. Its a pretty small lake with a couple docks; one pretty big. We set up shop at the dock, and I let Rocket run around and say hello. This fishing spot is frequented by retirees in particular. The couple down a ways from us had done spectacularly that day while we caught nothing. I had Rocket lay down next to me while I fished. It was a great day, and then I noticed Rocket was missing. I called her a few times, but didnt here her collar jingling. I started to look around, and she was just rounding the corner behind the old couple with a trout in her mouth. She had her head down, and was clearly sneaking behind them. I gasped, "You thief!". The couple turned around, that that point, and looked at her. She immediately dropped the fish, ran back over, and laid down. They thought is was funny enough that they gave us some fish to grill for dinner!

Other than Rudder's affinity for horse manure (ewww) he hasn't stolen any food. My brother and SIL's dog, however, could have a book written about her. They think she might be a rough coated collie/husky or golden mix. She looks a bit like a goldish coyote.

She's a rescue dog that had obviously been living on the streets for a while, where apparently she learned to hide food to survive. She has been known to stash food with remarkable creativeness and stealth. Despite their best efforts, they've found breadsticks in the bottom of the laundry hamper, chicken under the bed, toast in the back corner of a closet, etc etc. Once (before they knew the extent of her food-stealing prowess) they left the 8 jalapeño burgers they'd just made sitting on the counter for less than a minute while they knocked on the door of their duplex neighbors to see if they wanted any. When they turned around, all 8 burgers and the dog were no where to be found. They ransacked the house and never found a single jalapeño burger. She had eaten all 8 of them in less than a minute, and the only evidence was her occasional jalapeño-tinged burps for the rest of the day. That was when they decided she has a stomach of steel. And never turned their backs on food again.

My favorite story though has to be last thanksgiving. My brother, his wife, my parents, my grandparents, and my husband and I all met in a somewhat central location where we rented a house for the holiday. My brother and SIL brought the dog, Daisy. After the Thanksgiving meal, we cleaned everything up, but stupidly left the turkey carcass in the back corner of the (very tall) counter. Then we all drove into town to watch them turn on the Christmas lights. It turns out we had the wrong day, so we actually were only gone about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, with a dog as talented as Daisy, 15 minutes was all she needed, though apparently she wanted more. Daisy met my mom at the door and wouldn't let her in the house. My mom had to physically push Daisy put of the way. Daisy was very adament that we didn't go into our rooms. Finally, we figured out that the carcass was missing, and so started the Great Carcass Hunt of 2011. My SIL, mortified, ran around the house trying to find what was left of it, while Daisy did her very best innocent dog impression and the rest of us alternated between laughing hysterically and finding random bones hidden under the couch cushions, under beds, and evidence that she had snacked on it on the rug. The funniest part was how she hid the remainder in my brother and SIL's room. She had apparently eaten some of it on my brother's pillow, based on the grease stains, but she flipped the pillow over so it wouldn't be noticeable. The main bones they found on the floor next to the bed, with the comforter dragged over it and folded under it to hide it. Needless to say, we did a VERY thorough cleaning of that house before we left!

omg this story is HILARIOUS! Thank you for the laugh!! :lol:

Samantha took a few sticks of butter off the kitchen counter. We couldn't figure out how we were using so much butter, until the day I saw her stand on her hing legs, reach a paw and a nose, and snag that yummy Land o' Lakes stick very neatly.

She also ate an entire loaf of zucchini bread, almost in one gulp. Saw that one, too. We humans take a long time to learn such simple things, like not leaving food on the counter.

And Sam loved paper. Kleenex at first, then paper of any kind. I miss her.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Jellybeans.

I dropped a jelly bean, the terrier scarfed it. In the middle of the night (about 3am?) I was woken up by the dog whining at me. Last time this happened was when the fox ate all of the chickens, so I figured something was wrong. She nudged me and led me downstairs very quickly.

Straight to the jelly beans, where they'd been casually left up high. She tried to lead me back downstairs twice more for them.

Boots LOVES nuts! One time Paul headed out the door for the day, got to then end of the driveway and realized he had forgotten something; he was probably gone 3 minutes. We had a bit plastic jar of Costco mixed nuts on the counter, it has a screw top, one would have thought it would be safe. Upon walking through the front door, here is Boots on the couch with a few nuts in front of him and the jar next to him on the couch. The lid was on the kitchen floor. And of course, not a nut spilled on the floor :huh:

Waffles, your story made me laugh. Reminded me of our Scooter. He was never a counter surfer, but every year, for Christmas, I made pistachio coffee cakes. One year I had them cooling on the island and heard the worst commotion coming from the kitchen. Ran downstairs to see what was happening and there was DH, looking totally flustered, half a coffee cake gone, and Scooter looking somewhat ashamed, but not all that much. :lol: DH said when he walked in on him, he was eating it as fast as he could, side to side, like eating an ear of corn. :D The next year, I cooled them all the way back on the counter and caught him, paw stretched out as far as he could get it, trying to get to that coffee cake. From then on, we too cooled everything on top of the fridge, but when it came to that darned coffee cake, he still wanted it. He'd stare longingly at the top of the fridge, trying, no doubt, to figure out how to get up that high. :D He was such a character.

This isn't something that the dogs stole, but years ago, we didn't realize what would happen and we gave our dogs corn cobs after we had finished eating corn on the cob.

Ugh. Those came up for days.

Of course we know better now, and to check before doing anything like that.

We now stash all bread products on top of the fridge. :D

Ah yes, that's our strategy too. My ex-foster, Rhys bach was the #1 bread thief, but others have tried to follow in his paw prints. His favourite was my Cheese, Apple and Chili sourdough bread, He would knew when it came out of the oven and waited patiently for a chance to grab one. He could finish a whole loaf (scaled at 840g) in seconds, with not a crumb remaining.

Oh, yes, and Rhys bach also snagged and ate a 1lb bag of roasted almonds.

Senneca, my female, prefers cheese. She has numerous times made off with a slab of Cheddar. She always takes her loot to the front room and eats it by shaving off pieces with her front teeth -- it's a slow process, so I usually catch her before she has eaten too much.

My dogs don't steal food, but there have been a couple of memorable moments ... Piper is a food hider, and once I was moving the sofa out onto the deck for a party I was having and heard the sofa go "clunk clunk rattle clunk" ... which was an unusual noise for a one-piece leather sofa. I slit open the fabric under the underside of the couch and about 7 old bones fell out through the hole. She had apparently been shoving her recreational bones down between the back and the seat for safe keeping when she was done with them. She has also buried them in house plants, and once was "burying" one under a towel on the linoleum in the mudroom and scraped the top of her nose raw in the process.

Mr. Woo regularly buries rawhides around the property and his brother has buried some moles, a couple of rats and a baby bird or two around.

Once at the beach years ago we were strolling along and I turned around to look at Briggs and he had a whole shark in his mouth, about 3 feet long. He was VERY proud of his find and tried to bring it home, but I had to ix-nay that one!

And of course my favourite was TWooie and the crab:

4668923479_0c9748daa1_b.jpg

And yes, it was very much alive :)

RDM

The dogs in elk made me laugh so hard I was in danger of peeing myself. Of course I had to read it to everyone in the house after that. I could barely be understood, I was still laughing so hard. I had tears running down my face.

Bear loves food or anything that might be food (wrappers). He's just tall enough to where he can easily grab things off the counter. He knows that he's not supposed to take things of the counter, table, desk, etc. and will only do it when no one is looking. Keeping things out of his reach is challenging. He can also open cupboards.

He has improved immensely about not taking things since his younger days, but every once in a while he still 'trades'. Often we find a toy in place of whatever he took. :P He carries around a toy pretty much all the time and he has to drop his toy to get whatever he's after.

We have to keep chocolate on top of the fridge because he'll sniff that out and snag it as soon as no one is looking. He once ate an entire chocolate orange. It was in the original packaging, in a bag, in a box, under some other stuff in a room that he wasn't supposed to be in. He found it and ate the whole thing plus some of the packaging. He's also a huge fan of butter and dad's breakfast (whatever that may be). Occasionally he'll swipe a potato to munch on. He's not picky. He likes bananas, melon, squash, apples, snap peas, beans...just about anything. Keeping him out of my garden can be a bit challenging too.

Fortunately he has a digestive system made of steel and rarely has any issues. When he was teething, he even swallowed and passed a bottle of nail polish (ick).

Meg has much better manners and has yet to take anything off the counter or out of the trash. She did join Bear in a potato raid once, but she just played with hers.

Wasabe and Tai coconut soup. Neither led to the expected digestive blow-out.

Both of my dogs (former strays) will eat pretty much anything.

Other memorable steals were pineapple (with the rind) and cooked shrimp with shells.

And then there was the 1/2 lb of spanish peanuts which passed through looking pretty much like the originals.

Our dogs won’t take human food without permission in the house but a couple of them are quirky about outside items.

JJ likes charcoal ashes. After we grill out, I always have to keep an eye on him until the ashes are cool enough to dispose off. I can only assume because it might have some meat fat in it.

Josie like birdseed. Even though the bird feeders are hanging over the side of the deck, the way the birds sling the seed it still gets all over it. Josie will walk around licking the seed up. I have to admit, it helps me distinguish her poop from the boy’s. :D

Oliver too knows he isn't allowed to have any human food, but he's an opportunist and figures he's only in trouble if he's caught. When he was a puppy he stole a kneaded eraser (the gray ones you can squish and mold) out of my school bag and ate it. Twice now he's gotten into my purse and eaten my lip gloss, I finally know not to leave it lying around... <_< And recently he snatched a whole half of an avocado and cleaned the shell better than I could have.

I shouldn't have spouted off about my brother's dog...in the space of 2 days, Rudder has managed to eat 5, count 'em 5 pens/mechanical pencils. I've scoured this house at least 10 times and I cannot for the life of me figure out where he's getting them from. Heck, I can never find a pen when I need one to start with. I think he has a secret stash somewhere. This is driving me nuts.

Not my dog, but my sister had a cockapoo that would eat anything--a whole box of chocolates, wrappers and all, a bar of soap, a bag of gummy worms, old carpeting they had taken up and had put on the back porch to dispose of. Never got sick once. She also had a cat. What the dog couldn't get to, the cat was more than happy to help with by climbing and knocking whatever it was to the ground so Buster could devour it! :lol:

My dogs have never stolen food, and don't even touch a plate left for a few minutes on the coffee table.

BUT. The (very beloved) cat that I used to have was a different matter. Once I had just put a very large cooked steak on my plate when there was a knock at the door. I went to the door and was there less than a minute, and returned to find the entire steak *gone*. I finally found it, placed ever so neatly on top of the cat's food dish. It made me laugh so hard I ended up sharing the steak with him.

I found it hilarious when my new kitten (now 8 months, but then only 4) did the same thing with a steak I had left thawing on the counter. I caught him dragging it to his food dish!

My BFF had an ACD who would eat anything. He once ate an entire pound of raw rice. When she told me about it on the phone and I said "oh my god, take him to the vet immediately!", her response was "No need. He ate it two days ago and has shown no ill effects". :lol:

When I was a kid, my mom used to always get up early on Easter morning and hide eggs and the Easter baskets around the house (I grew up in New England and no one wanted to find eggs outside in April).

After a while, we outgrew the egg hunt but she still made us baskets with really good chocolates and Swedish fish and imported jelly beans, and she usually gave us a really nice gift in them too. One year, since she was no longer hiding eggs, she decided to hide the baskets the night before so she wouldn't have to get up so early.

We woke up to all 4 baskets dragged into the living room, the toys in one pile, the plastic grass in another and all of the candy eaten by one very sick looking Great Dane. She never threw up but she looked so unhappy that no one punished her.

That was the last year my mom hid the baskets. After that they were on the mantel when we got up.