BC Boards

Is snarkiness an acceptable breed trait?

I don't think snarkiness has become acceptable per se, but I do think that people are probably more inclined to accept snarkiness out of a bitch because they expect bitches to be bitchy. There are also degrees of snarkiness, and it's unclear from your post just how bad your youngster is. Some of mine grumble at each other and snark on occasion, but I have just one that outsiders might consider truly snarky and I don't know that I'd call her that. She has been allowed to get away with certain behaviors (by a certain someone) and when she engages in those behaviors with the other dogs, they don't like it and let her know, and this sometimes results in fights. The behavior annoys me and I correct it when I see it. Would I not breed her if she turns out to be an exceptional worker? I think I would breed her. It's easy enough to describe her personality to potential puppy buyers.

Buyers should ask of a breeder questions about the temperaments of the parents, relatives, etc to determine what you're likely to get in a pup. Of course there are no guarantees. The close relatives of most of my dog generally have very nice temperaments, but there have been a few who were rather dog aggressive. I'm not convinced that the aggressiveness is entirely genetic. That is, I suspect the propensity for such behavior might be genetic, but nurture plays a role in whether it's manifested (or not).

In the case of my youngster, the behavior manifests itself when she is highly aroused (when exciting things are going on), so I just manage the situation to reduce the arousal.

J.

Agree great post!

I had not really known of this female/female aggression. My rat terrier female has always been very bold and bossy so to say. I have a male rat terrier also and added a female dobe. When she was between 15/18 months is when what you call snarkyness started. But I believe it has more to do with ranks in the pack. They were not allowed to work it out. The dobe is now 3 and terrier almost 10...they get along well now and are tolerant of each other. They seem to share the leadership role...at home its the dobe and when we go out its the terrier. They are never left together at home when alone...I separate them. I think it tends to depend upon the dog and their specific personality. I have heard some of the ladies at the agility field say they notice a change in their border collie bitches around 3 yrs of age. Where they really are more to themselves and dont want other dogs running up into their faces. I dont have a border collie yet. I am still deciding between another dobe or a border...doing my research. But it will be a male which ever I choose...another female will not be in the same household as my female dobe. The way she looks at another female is so different than the way she does a male.