BC Boards

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival

For those of you in the mid-Atlantic area who might not already be familiar with it: the Maryland Sheep & Wool festival (always the first full weekend in May) is right around the corner! A very short drive from Washington, DC or from Baltimore.

Come by to browse for yarns, window-shop for spinning wheels, check out the sheep and alpaca, sign up for some workshops... and don't forget to stop by to watch the BC Boards' own Nancy Starkey's sheepdog demonstrations!

For more information: http://www.sheepandwool.org/

Sue,

You really should try to get to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival sometime (it's a definite bucket list item). It is probably less than 3 hours from you, and it is one of the largest festivals (of any kind) in North America. There are numerous demonstrations and competitions, plus live music and hundreds of vendors selling their wares. All this, and it's free!!!

Regards,

nancy

And they have outstanding cooked lamb burgers, kebobs, sausages, BBQ etc. I miss living in PA and the MD sheep and wool is one of the reasons. It was always great!

Cynthia

^^^ I agree. I miss living in PA and NJ where I could make it to the MS&W festival in about 3 hours (one-way). It made for a very long day, but it was worth it.

Jovi

Me three! Not the living in PA part, but the part about being close enough to easily attend. It's a great festival; go if you can!

I have to say, though, that it's best to go for the weekend if you can. One day just doesn't seem long enough to really see and enjoy everything the festival has to offer. For anyone looking for livestock equipment, sometimes you can get some great deals late on Sunday because the vendors don't want to haul the stuff home!

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to miss this today. I am disappointed, but I couldn't get away from other responsibilities. I would really like to experience an actual trial first hand, but I get the impression that spectators are not encouraged. Oh well, there is always the demonstration next year.

I had to miss this today. I am disappointed, but I couldn't get away from other responsibilities. I would really like to experience an actual trial first hand, but I get the impression that spectators are not encouraged. Oh well, there is always the demonstration next year.

Oh, dear... sorry to hear you've gotten the impression that spectators aren't encouraged at sheepdog trials! I've been to a number of sheepdog trials as a spectator in the Maryland-Virginia-Pennsylvania area, and I've felt welcome at all of them. I've met some very nice people that way!

There's only one local trial I know of where spectators aren't encouraged, and that's simply because of the logistics: there's very little space for parking.

Be careful, though. Spectating at trials can be addictive. Before you know it, you'll be volunteering to help scribe, and then you and your dog will start taking lessons, and then you'll be signing up for the workshops on "Basic Shepherding" at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival, and dreaming of buying just a little land and some sheep...

Oh, dear... sorry to hear you've gotten the impression that spectators aren't encouraged at sheepdog trials! I've been to a number of sheepdog trials as a spectator in the Maryland-Virginia-Pennsylvania area, and I've felt welcome at all of them.

In that case I'll definitely be checking out at least one. Thank you.

I second Alchemist. Most trials welcome spectators. There aren't usually a lot of spectators simply becuase most folks are unaware of sheepdog trialing, unless the trial is connected to some other event. The National Finals will be at Belle Grove Plantation in Middletown, VA next year and that's definitely a big trial where spectators are welcome. There are some PA trials coming up, and depending on how far you're willing to travel, there will be a bunch of trials in the fall, some--like Montpelier in Orange, VA--connected to fiber festivals or other events. You'll generally find folks willing to answer questions and explain what's happening. For a calendar of USBCHA trials, go here.

J.

Couple of snapshots from yesterday's demo.

The first is a shot of Nancy's Soot, putting on the brakes while working a group of Nancy's yearling Bluefaced Leicesters. Sootie runs like a dog afire, but also brakes like nobody's business:

7155663942_950db0f792_z.jpg

The second is Nancy's Kep, on the "fetch":

7155696962_fed8d60e4d_z.jpg

And the third is a sight you don't see too often: two dogs (Mark's Gyp, in the foreground, and his dog Aggie, in the background) working in tandem as a "brace":

7154735324_d86c96ede1_z.jpg

I would really like to experience an actual trial first hand, but I get the impression that spectators are not encouraged. Oh well, there is always the demonstration next year.

While we are not set-up to handle crowds of spectators (we have the parking issues which should be better this year) I personally invite you to come watch our trials.

Tim Medendorp Heart Transplant Benefit Sheepdog Trial at Pipedream Farm (Middletown, MD)

June 23 & 24, 2012

Pipedream Farm Open Sheepdog Trial (Middletwon, MD)

Setpember 22 & 23, 2012

Entry forms (which have directions) will be posted here: NEBCA Trial Schedule

We are here: Pipedream Farm

I'm sure Nancy and Mark did a great job (as usual) with their demo. We had talked about going to the festival but couldn't get away from the farm last weekend. We're working down our list of things that must be completed for our June trial.

While we are not set-up to handle crowds of spectators (we have the parking issues which should be better this year) I personally invite you to come watch our trials.

That is a very nice gesture and much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Tim Medendorp Heart Transplant Benefit Sheepdog Trial at Pipedream Farm (Middletown, MD)

June 23 & 24, 2012

Pipedream Farm Open Sheepdog Trial (Middletwon, MD)

Setpember 22 & 23, 2012

Entry forms (which have directions) will be posted here: NEBCA Trial Schedule

We are here: Pipedream Farm

I plan on attending at least one day of the open trial in Sept if the offer still holds (and barring any unforseen barriers). I will of course be leaving my dog at home since I am coming as a spectator. I have tentative plans to carpool with another BC message board person.

Dear Spectators,

There are a very few trials where parking is so limited or the ground so rough spectators aren't encouraged but I know none where they're forbidden. Usually spectating is free, at my trial and some others a small fee is charged.

Shy spectators at small trials may feel excluded simply because everybody else knows everybody else and are busy swapping stories but if the shy spectator asks a question I'm sure it'd be answered politely. Who doesn't want to talk about their dog?

Traditionally, spectators dogs are welcome at sheepdog trials though the dogs must be mannerly (which I might add, almost all are). If you bring them to the Highland SDT Labor Day Weekend, they can be blessed in the Blessing of the Dogs Saturday after the trial.

Donald McCaig

The first time I stepped in the ring with a Dachshund, it was to the unkind comment of "look at that nag". This was from a well known handler (and not even a junior handler). Since what I had on the end of the lead went on to beat some of that handler's own charges (although that day she took BOS to his BOB), I can only wonder if he was actually referring to me, rather than my dog.

I think I would consider being left alone--or even pointedly ignored--a rather charitable act in comparison.