BC Boards

Is a border collie for me?

Ok I was wondering if a border collie would be a good dog for me.Ive never owned a dog but have always been around them as many of our friends had a dog and our neighbor use to breed show labs.Well any ways I love dogs and im looking for a constaint compaian and ive been helping in training service dogs for the vets with post tramatic stress disorder so trainning shouldnt be a problem.I also know someone who owns a sheep farm so if it wants to I can help teach it to properly herd the sheep.would a border collie be a good dog for me?

Welcome!

Yes, reading the information that TEC provided a link for above will be very helpful in your decision making process.

Another suggestion is to possibly contact a Border Collie rescue in your area to see if you might be able to volunteer at an event to meet some Border Collies and talk with the experienced folks there.

And, not to discourage you in any way, but training a Border Collie to work livestock is completely different than any other type of training, such as service dog training, obedience, agility, or flyball. I only point this out so that you are aware and can make the best decision for your situation. I dabbled in agility with my first Border Collie and then switched to stock work and found the two very different - few of my training skills from agility transferred to training on livestock.

I first read someone else say it here and think it is worth mentioning - Border Collies are not just a dog; they are a lifestyle. It seems that many people that have Border Collies have hobbies, jobs, or activities that are centered around the fact that they have Border Collies. For instance in my free time, I am walking my Border Collies, traveling to trials or clinics, training, playing with them, etc. :lol: I wouldn't have it any other way!

Kudos to you for doing your homework first!

Best of luck!

If you wish to have a border collie as your first dog, I would advise you to work with a good breed rescue to adopt an adult bc or mix with a known personality and temperament that will be compatible with your lifestyle.

Adding a dog to your life is a big (but rewarding!) change. Jumping straight into a dog-centric lifestyle (which is required for many border collies and their people) can be a bit more than some people bargained for, which is why so many of them end up in rescue or shelters.

I would try to spend more time with the breed before making your decision. BC personalities are very different than the Labradors and other service dogs you have likely been around.

What, specifically, draws you to the border collie?

I friend I know has 2 and the dog trainner thats been traning me to train the dogs has several and the person who owns the sheep farm has atleast one that I know of.I do home schooling so im around alot and would be working evening/night shifts so I could play and have adventures train ect with them most of the day.I think the major thing that draws me to them is probly because when I was younger a friend of mine had a border collie who was older that showed me once again how dogs could be kind but letting me pet and pay with her and fallowing me around.Befor the border collie show me again that dogs can be great friends(I would only trust afew select dogs I knew well). I had been attacked by three seprete dogs at three seprent times.The first dog had be a huge labador who had me cornered agaist my house snarling and ready to eat me when I had done nothing but walk outside and it had dashed over and got me cornered and I was about 5ish.Then the next dog had been one of my brothers friends I had gone over to tell my brothers something or just to hang out with them something like that and I walked thou the gate and the dog lunged at me ready to eat me and my bros friend got his gun and killed it befor it reached me.The last one was that I had asked a diffrent friend of my bros if I could go pet there dogs so I went out side and there lab was nice but there german sheperd was not and it growled ect at me and i cryed and screamed from my brother who got the dog away.So Think after everything the border collie showed be dogs can me nice and fun to play with sweet ect.

So Think after everything the border collie showed be dogs can me nice and fun to play with sweet ect.

They certainly can be, but not all of them are that way. My female, for example, wants nothing to do with most people and she's really not all that affectionate at all. A lot of border collies are very focused on their work and don't have time for all that love & fluff. Or maybe you are the center of their world when you have a ball, but other times not so much.

Lots of dogs can be nice and fun and sweet. Dogs that have a lot fewer needs with regard to stimulation and exercise. The reasons you list, as the above poster noted, are not enough to jump head first into bc ownership.

But again, do contact breed rescues and see about getting a sweet, mellow adult. That may fit your needs quite well. Just try not to be hung up on getting a "purebred" or a puppy.

They certainly can be, but not all of them are that way. My female, for example, wants nothing to do with most people and she's really not all that affectionate at all. A lot of border collies are very focused on their work and don't have time for all that love & fluff. Or maybe you are the center of their world when you have a ball, but other times not so much.

Lots of dogs can be nice and fun and sweet. Dogs that have a lot fewer needs with regard to stimulation and exercise. The reasons you list, as the above poster noted, are not enough to jump head first into bc ownership.

But again, do contact breed rescues and see about getting a sweet, mellow adult. That may fit your needs quite well. Just try not to be hung up on getting a "purebred" or a puppy.

i understand that each dog is diffrent just like any animal and I wont be getting one for awhile.