BC Boards

some questions about puppies

sorry this is so long but i might be getting a border collie puppy, i dont know yet, but i have some questions. first how old can you start exercising them? i know you have to wait till there bones are matured or something to that nature. i know you cant get them around other dogs till they have all there shots, which is around 12 or 16 weeks, i forgot i have it written down somewhere, so what have you guys done with your pup till then to keep them exercised or stimulated? i am thinking of using clicker training i have never done it before but have read alot on it and think it is a very good way of training. have any of you used this way? or if there is a better way to train please let me know. i am also thinking of getting the puppy when he is old enough into frisbee when is the right time to start introducing him to the Frisbee? i am going to crate train so any suggestions about that would be great also tips on potty training. thank you for your advice.

ok there are these puppies that were dumped in the dumpster i had inquired about them a couple of weeks ago and kinda forgot about them. the other day i inquired about them again and she sent me these pics. i dont think they are bc's but i dont know i think it might be wishful thinking on my part but in the back of my head i have a hope that they are. i know they are too young to tell for certain but what do yall think are they bc's? i know they are probably mixed puppies. the pics arent the best i know.

post-13192-018428900 1334253343_thumb.jpg

post-13192-029907600 1334253350_thumb.jpg

post-13192-075561900 1334253362_thumb.jpg

Probably not border collie. Since you mentioned on another thread that you're interested in disc dog and frisbee, I would encourage you to look in rescue for a young dog with toy drive. That way you know what you have for the most part and can start playing/training right away. Good luck!

sorry this is so long but i might be getting a border collie puppy, i dont know yet, but i have some questions. first how old can you start exercising them? i know you have to wait till there bones are matured or something to that nature. i know you cant get them around other dogs till they have all there shots, which is around 12 or 16 weeks, i forgot i have it written down somewhere, so what have you guys done with your pup till then to keep them exercised or stimulated? i am thinking of using clicker training i have never done it before but have read alot on it and think it is a very good way of training. have any of you used this way? or if there is a better way to train please let me know. i am also thinking of getting the puppy when he is old enough into frisbee when is the right time to start introducing him to the Frisbee? i am going to crate train so any suggestions about that would be great also tips on potty training. thank you for your advice.

Replies to a couple of your questions:

Clicker training - yes. I found it very helpful. If it is your first time, you may want to sign up for a local class since the click timing is so important, it is easier to have someone right there to help you.

Exercising - I am guessing you mean 'formal sport training'? All dogs need exercise. I don't think that young pups should be exercised by repetitive actions - i.e. jumping a bar, chasing a ball endlessly, frisbee or running with a human partner. I like to let a young pup free-range in the woods and fields, if you have that type of geography around you. They exercise at their own pace - stopping and starting, jumping small and big sticks, going uphill and downhill, etc.

Frisbee - Jedismom has a good suggestion about finding a slightly older pup that has toy drive since you have a better idea if s/he has the desire to play, and you would be able to start training sooner (depending on how old the pup is). Look into nearby frisbee clubs and ask questions to make sure they place a priority on the dog's health.

Good Luck,

Jovi

thank you for your response. as to the exercise i thought i read somewhere that you shouldnt take a puppy on runs or long walks till he or she is matured some. i will more thank likely be getting into a class for clicker training so i am doing it right since it will be new to me. playing frisbee is not necessary its just something i thought would be fun to do with my bc. but i am still looking and maybe will be getting a rescue anyway one that is a little bit older.

I have an 11 week old and he gets lots of exercise. He runs around the back yard, wrestles with thebother dogs and has gone for short walks up and down our drive, which is about 1/4 mile long. You just want to be careful about not jumping and going for too long of walks. I also have him in a puppy class and have him around other dogs. Clicker class is a great way to train.

Archived