BC Boards

looking into getting a border collie

i am looking into, and hopefully will get, this one border collie who was found on the side of the road and was abused it seemed but he is 3 years old and the people who are fostering him have gave him a wonderful home. its not a given i will get him but i am hoping i will. i wont be working livestock. but after i take him to the vet for physical i am thinking about getting him into disc dog competitions. i will also provide lots of physical exercise as well as mental stimulation. i have been researching this breed for a while and think this is the right dog for me. i know they can be distructive if not given the right amount of exercise and mental stimulation. i will probably have questions if i get this boy. but for right now i am just saying hey and introducing myself, couldnt find an introduction topic, and if yall want to give me any advice it would be apperciated. i was around one border collie growing up but we had lots of land and she entertained herself, she was the neighbors dog that adopted us, so i kinda know how high there energy level is, also my neighbor now has one. but since i havent really raised one i dont really know so this will be a first time for me and am excited.

It sounds like you have done your homework in preparing yourself for the special needs of the high-energy and intelligent dog that the Border Collie is. And kudos for looking into opening your home and heart to a dog that certainly sounds like he needs and deserves a good home.

These dogs make excellent companions and sports dogs for someone who is willing to put in the thought, time, and effort to work with them. I am particularly happy to see that you are prepared to keep the dog *mentally* exercised because that is really more important than physical exercise (which is also important).

I am hoping that this works out for both of you, and wish you both the very best! Please, keep us posted on your progress, don't be shy about asking questions, and don't forget to post pictures when you can.

I hope everything works out and you get your BC. And I also thank you for adopting a rescue.

As a 3 year old, he is past the puppy craziness (hopefully), but you have years ahead of you where your BC will enjoy training and learning new things. Have a good trip!

Jovi

well he was placed the night before i asked about him :( but i cant be upset because he is in a good home. there are some puppies that will be avalible may 9th. but i am going to look around some more. ill keep yall updated.

Don't be discouraged. That has happened to me and it just cleared the way for my meeting the two incredible rescue dogs I have! Yes, I believe things happen for a reason. Your heart dog is out there and waiting for you. :)

thanks. i am ready to wait for the right one i dont want to just jump into it. im going to look at some rescue's or i might just get one of the puppies i dont know yet. it will be nice to have a puppy i have never had a puppy younger than 3 months old. so it will be a challange but i have enough time to devote to him.