BC Boards

Bowel Obstruction Redux

nancy in AZ

What first gave me that "uh-oh" feeling was Sat evening when she burped several times over a period of hours. Sunday she ate breakfast enthusiastically and was acting normally. It wasn't until that afternoon that she seemed not quite "right". So I took her for a brief walk, during which she had a normal b.m. By early evening I wasn't comfortable taking a wait and see approach, so I called the on call vet who suggested I bring her in for X-rays. No blockage was evident, but there were a lot of gas bubbles that confirmed suspicions that there was some GI issue in the works. We debated whether or not to proceed with surgery, but in the end, we agreed that I'd take her home, and if there were any sign of decline, I'd bring her back for surgery. She received a couple of injections, a steroid for the inflammation and something to increase her gut motility, and I took her home in hopes that she would pass whatever it was. By late evening she was acting very restless and had become agitated, so I called the on call vet and told her I was bringing her back for surgery. By the time the vet called me back after the surgery it was nearly 1:00 a. m. This time, the culprit was a piece of cow hoof that Kit had broken off and swallowed. It wasn't very big, but big enough to do damage. The vet said it had made it past the point of last year's resection in her small bowel. When I went to visit her yesterday afternoon she wasn't perky as she had been following her prior surgeries. She ate a bit this morning, so that's a good sign and the vet is encouraged that she'll recover. My mind keeps traveling to that "dark place" since I know from prior experience she's not out of the woods yet. It was one day shy of the six month anniversary of Kit's first bowel obstruction surgery. Please keep her in your thoughts.

post-3160-091210400 1332874240_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is nothing compared to what has come back out of my dogs (from both ends). Scary that it was causing such problems.

I've gotten to the point where I severely monitor anything they are chewing --- of course, that doesn't stop them from finding things on their own, which is always the scary part.

This is what Secret threw up not all that long after I got her, sometime around 16-20 weeks old:

Puked1-5-10.jpg

The pen is there for size reference. Pretty sure that's the biggest thing that's come out of her to date.

Sending good healing thoughts for Kit!!

I am thinking good thoughts for your girl's quick and lasting recovery, Nancy. This is rather a timely post for me. Last night, I fed my dogs a dinner of raw cow liver, elk meat, and sheep meaty bones--a fairly typical meal for them. I put Sophie's bowl down, and she went to snarf up her food as usual. I began washing dishes at the sink and could tell something was wrong--she had paused standing over her food--so I began watching her. She moved a few steps toward the center of the kitchen, and I suspected she was choking. I grabbed her and put my hand down her throat, trying to clear the airway. I thought I felt something give, so I took my hand out. No change in her demeanor, and she started to move toward the back door. I grabbed her again and literally shoved my arm down her throat until I felt the obstruction (a piece of the elk meat) slide further down her gullet--and instantly she was back. She swallowed the errant piece of meat and went right back to her dinner bowl. I am quite sure she might have choked to death had I not seen what was going on. Very scary. (And it could have happened with anything she swallowed--it's not that feeding a raw diet is inherently dangerous. She was just eating too fast and her food went down the wrong way.) Good reminder for me to watch my dogs eat their food.

Kit's doing well. First couple of days following the surgery were really rough. She'd never whimpered and cried during the last go around, and given how stoic I know she is, I was filled with dread. She turned the corner two days after the surgery and has shown steady progress since. Now, she's bright-eyed and waggy-tailed again. ( In fact, she's bounced back sooner than I have :rolleyes:) This time around, she didn't require a bowel resection, thank goodness. Her staples/stitches won't come out for another week, so until then, she'll continue to accompany me to the office. Once again (and I hope for the last time :) ) THANK YOU for your well wishes, prayers and concern!! They really are a comfort.

Archived