BC Boards

dog friendly vacation

I have know Idea. I have about a week and a half at the most, but just a couple of days would be ideal. I am wide open for suggestions.

I thought I might head for the beach but I don't know of any beaches that are dog friendly. Maybe a mountain cabin with lots of hiking trails. Maybe a herding or agility camp, although I doubt this would be cheep. Something where there is a lot of opportunity to do things and hangout with the dog.

Acadia National Park in Maine is very dog friendly and absolutely lovely to visit. I used to go camping there in the summer.

Sheep dog clinics can be quite affordable, but the good ones fill up well in advance. Maybe there is some space left in one?

I don't know if they have "spring break" sessions, but I know some people who have gone to Camp Gone to the Dogs and say it's the best experience ever.

http://camp-gone-tothe-dogs.com/html/home.html

Definitely fun for humans and canines alike.

Camp Gone to the Dogs would be great but the dates are wrong for me. I teach college so I have to take my vacations between quarters. Drat!!

Acadia National Park in Maine is very dog friendly and absolutely lovely to visit. I used to go camping there in the summer.

Sheep dog clinics can be quite affordable, but the good ones fill up well in advance. Maybe there is some space left in one?

Acadia National Park in Maine I am sure would be great but it's a long drive for us souther boys

I too have a border collie and also live just out side atlamta.

I have a place in Helen Ga and it is very pet frindley.

there is great food and hikeing trails galor

You can take you dog down town and people will ask if they

can pet your dog. travel time to Helen from atlanta to helen is only

an hour and half

don Martin

i just stopped at jekyll island on my way from the keys to west virginia. we really enjoyed it, we just stopped for a rest break, we were able to walk the dogs on the beach, etc. don't really know too much about it, but it seemed nice.

The Outer Banks of NC are dog-friendly but there are leash laws/regulations at many of the beaches. Be safe and check out beforehand if you want off-leash fun. The fines can be pretty stiff if you have a dog off-leash where that's not allowed.

You can check for pet-friendly as an option for many of the rental companies but be careful on pricing - some charge $75 per pet over and above the regular rental fee, and some companies include the cost of the first pet or two in the rental fee.

We have taken our dogs to the Outer Banks for some years now. It's generally a very dog-friendly place.

Have a great time!

If you want to get away from it all, I love Ocracoke, NC. We ride over several times a year. Small island with very quiet beaches. Yes, there is a leash law but (knock wood) I've yet to run into anyone that had a problem. There are houses for rent in the little town center, hotels and there is also camping available. Be warned: the state park has very COLD showers.

Love Okracoke!

Like you, we have had our dogs off leash on the beaches (up on Hatteras, though) and not had a problem but since the fine is stiff ($500, I believe), we are very cautious about it. Very early in the day, very late in the day, and always watching for the park patrol.

On the sound side, we've never had an issue with dogs off leash.

Love Okracoke!

Like you, we have had our dogs off leash on the beaches (up on Hatteras, though) and not had a problem but since the fine is stiff ($500, I believe), we are very cautious about it. Very early in the day, very late in the day, and always watching for the park patrol.

On the sound side, we've never had an issue with dogs off leash.

Same here.

We've actually taken to going to Dewey Beach, DE because the dogs are allowed off leash on the beach, and it's a lot more relaxed not having to worry about it.

But when we've gone to Hatteras, and been careful, letting them off only when we are actually playing in the waves, or on the soundside, we never had a problem.

The KOA at Waves (on Hatteras Island) was very dog-friendly the few years we stayed there. Dog walk areas, and there used to be only a $5 charge (in cabin) to have a dog (or few). And they have a piece of property on the soundside where we used to take the dogs for off-leash water fun.

Archived