BC Boards

Dandruff

Rievaulx has dandruff, sometimes the bigger flaky variety, other times just little bits. He has been on fish oil for the last couple of months which has made his already shiny coat, very shiny but he still has itchy dandruff. I was hoping as the climate got damper this spring it would help, but now we are back to big flakes...... anyone have any suggestions.

Rievaulx has dandruff, sometimes the bigger flaky variety, other times just little bits. He has been on fish oil for the last couple of months which has made his already shiny coat, very shiny but he still has itchy dandruff. I was hoping as the climate got damper this spring it would help, but now we are back to big flakes...... anyone have any suggestions.

Maybe a different food? Some people add vegetable oil to the food but I'd think fish oil serves a better purpose. Egg is good for the coat as well. If your heat is still running and he's spending a great deal of time indoors, that might be a contributing factor. I also do a deep brushing every week - saves on vacuuming if nothing else!

Liz

My old Raven suffers from dry skin dandruff, I've taken to scritching her allot on her back loosening the flakes then brushing them out. I've never seen food do much. mine eat salmon based food and get fish oil so that isn't helping us.

I find the winter with heat on seems to be the culprit. But it loosens easily with me scritching her back and other parts that are flaky.

In humans dandruff is a fungus. When the fungus gets out of hand it creates too many skin cells which slough off and itch. Oily skin makes dandruff worse as the fungus likes the sebum. Sometimes people avoid shampooing thinking that their skin is dry and washing will make it worse, when in fact washing the sebum off actually helps. The best thing of course is to eliminate the fungus via medicated shampoo and sometimes diet changes.

Is dog dandruff just from dry skin or is there some kind of fungus issue going on as well? Maybe he needs more baths, not less? Do they make medicated shampoo for dogs?

I don't know if vitamin A would help dandruff but it probably wouldn't hurt.

The dermatologist recommended putting Lewie on it for a month to promote rejuvenation of the skin. He was suffering from calcinosis cutis as a side effect of long-term steroid treatment for his Evan's syndrome. I can't believe how quickly his skin has improved. It's also bringing his "fluffy-butt" coat back to a luxurious, healthy sheen. He'd lost so much hair that he was looking like a chemo patient for awhile.

Thank the Lord for remission!

When we picked up Celt as a little puppy, he had dry, flaky skin. Adding some fat (I use beef or bacon fat normallY) to the dogs' diets helps me to avoid this, especially during the dry months.

Your case might be something entirely different but I find most commercial dog foods to be lacking in fat content.

Best wishes!

Thanks for everyones input, the fish oil has made a great change in both my dogs coats, Rievaulx has always had a nice coat, but it is gorgeous now, and Brody has gone from dull to shiny, his coat had never recovered from being sick a year ago. So I was hoping it would help his skin as that was one of my reasons for adding it to their diet.

I might try a shampoo next, trying to change the diet is always such a tricky ting, we played that game last year trying to find a food that agreed with Brody.

Any one have a suggestion for a commercially available fat that might work, as much as I love bacon it does not do much for my figure and has to be kept out of the house :D

Archived