BC Boards

Low blood protein

Jeri Jessee

My 11 year old, Spur, went for his annual exam in which I thought everything was fine. The vet called back today saying the protein (albumin) in his blood was moderately low. So he is going back tomorrow for additional testing. He is suspicious of either his liver or GI track. All other bloodwork and urinalysis was normal. And this is a somewhat recent development as his bloodwork 9 months ago was fine. He has lost a couple of pounds which I had attributed to cutting back on his treats and changing his food. But now I am not so sure. In all other respects he appears happy, healthy and energetic.

I am hoping that whatever it is, that it is not dire and hopefully we have caught it early.

All prayers and happy thoughts are appreciated. After just having lost Reno last year, I am freaking out a bit (ok, a lot).

This could potenially be giardia. One of my Border Collies developed a swollen abdomen on Thanksgiving night several years ago. I rushed her to the emergency vet. She had very low protein and was leaking fluid from her intestines into her abdomen. I was told it could be many things. It turned out to be due to a very heavy load of giardia. If your vet did not do a stool sample and the liver and kidney values looked okay on the blood work, I'd have him do a fecal immediately.

Jen

Thanks.

He did do a fecal along with the bloodwork. However, I am not sure if it would have shown giardia or if was just testing for worms? I will ask.

Everything came back normal except the protein.

Yes I was given a laundry list of things that it could be, all of which sounded very scary.

He is not exhibiting any symptoms of anything, in fact I had just been thinking how good he looks and acts.

Hi, low protein can also be seen in the subclinical form of ehrlichia or anaplasmosis, two tick diseases that can go into a chronic form. There are different ehrlichias, some of which the standard tests don't include. Usually you will also see the platelets or the red blood cell count towards the low end of the normal range too in this stage. Just something else to consider maybe?

Hi, low protein can also be seen in the subclinical form of ehrlichia or anaplasmosis, two tick diseases that can go into a chronic form. There are different ehrlichias, some of which the standard tests don't include. Usually you will also see the platelets or the red blood cell count towards the low end of the normal range too in this stage. Just something else to consider maybe?

Thank you, I'll ask about that. I've never even seen a tick on Spur (not to say it couldn't happen, of course!). We go back on Friday to repeat the blood work.

• 2 months later...

Well Spur's albumin has dropped lower again after being stable for a couple of months so our vet feels he needs to have surgery to biopsy his intestines. We've sent fecal and blood to Texas A&M for all sorts of tests in their GI lab down there, done X-rays and ultra sound...everything except the pesky albumin is normal...we've stumped the Aggies. So, off to a consultation with a surgeon followed by the procedure. And then hopefully a successful treatment plan. Hard to believe my boy is sick...he is happy, energetic and has even gained a couple of pounds. For that much I am thankful.

I have a question, and this is not meant to be fascetious or anything, but if he seems normal in all other respects *except* has a low albumin level, what is there to treat? Maybe one of the vets on the list can answer this question.

Did you ever ask about testing for tick diseases?

I'm glad he's feeling and looking good and am really just curious about what they think they might find, and then what the treatment would be (if they find what they're thinking they might find).

J.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking what Julie wrote. I very rarely or never go looking for things when my dogs seem well. I wouldn't even be testing for TBD's if my dogs were not off in health.

What does a low albumin level mean?

Albumin is a protein made by the liver. Its important as it keeps the water in the blood from leaking into the tissues, among other things. Low levels are caused by 1 of 4 things: 1) severe burns, 2) kidney disease, 3) liver not making enough of it or 4) loss via the intestines. Normal is 2.5 and Spur has gone from 1.9 to 1.6 in just a month. So it is approaching a concerning level.

As the kidneys and liver have tested normal and he does not have any burns on his body, the vet suspects his intestines. That plus the fact that the sonogram showed some minor thickening in one area. This thickening could be due to IBD or cancer. Treatment will depend on the diagnosis. We could just start him on steriods and see if that works but its a bit of a shot in the dark without a biopsy. We reviewed his case with the head of the GI lab at A&M and he concurred as did the surgeon I met with today.

The surgeon feels we may be able to get what we need by scoping him which would be great as we avoid major surgery. We're scheduled for that on Monday.

I can promise I am not just looking for something to do here...I would never subject my dogs to unnecessary procedures but we've taken the watchful waiting approach and the level is continuing to drop so I'd like to find out for sure what is wrong so we can hopefully treat it. And I'd rather not wait until he is in a compromised state to do it.

Well that's interesting. What made them test for that? Is it routine? With no symptoms you must be really glad (in an odd sort of way) that they found the issue before something happened.

I just checked, he's a senior so it makes more since that this would be an issue. Still is it something they check for normally in senior blood panels?

I never thought or meant to imply that you'd go looking for something, just wondered how you stumbled across this test or if it's normal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, it was discovered when they ran a senior panel during his annual check up earlier this year. It had previously been normal and this was quite a drop.

I am glad (I think) to know, in the event we've caught it early--hopefully that will give us a better outcome. I've not had the guts to ask what happens "if" or "when"...one step at a time works best for me.

Having just lost 15 year old Reno last year to pancreatitis (or something---we never really knew for sure and due to his age/condition I chose not to do invasive diagnostics), I'm just not emotionally geared up for another major illness.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that medication will fix whatever it is and Spur can live out his senior years happy and healthy. He's such a good dog and so important to our family.

• 2 weeks later...

Biopsy reveals inflammatory bowel which is the better of the possible outcomes...so I'm relieved...they were able to get it via scope so no major surgery, thankfully. We will try to manage it via steriods and diet. Thanks for the support and letting me vent.