BC Boards

aac regionals

anyone care to give a newbie in their first year of agility a rundown of regionals? :)

We've only been to afew trials, just getting into advanced now, but i feel like were a very good team and would like to try our hand at regionals, but i know nothing about it! Lol. How much does the weekend cost in trial fees? Is there usually on site tent camping? Does anyone have past course maps they could post so i could see what im getting myself into.. Hehe. Ive set the goal to go to nationals in the next 3 years, so i guess the first step is actualy experiencing regionals.

Oh and whats this steeplechase there for, practice? Like is that just used as a warmup? And what in the world is touch and go? Whats the point system, i dont quite get it.Andddd....i have a billion more questions i guess the basics will have to do.

How much does the weekend cost in trial fees? I

I don't think they've posted fees for Ontario yet (since your regionals are a bit up in the air). In BC, it's between $118 and $140 per dog, depending on whether you use early bird registration, and whether you're an AAC member. Ontario trials are so expensive compared to the rest of the country, I don't know if you can use that as a reference. For that, you get all 6 runs that make up the Regionals - that is, 2 each of Standard, Jumpers and Gamblers.

Is there on site tent camping?

There's generally camping on-site but you'll have to ask specifically about tent camping.

Does anyone have past course maps they could post so i could see what im getting myself into..

Here are courses from BC's regionals from last year.

Oh and whats this steeplechase there? Is that just used as a warmup? And what un the world is touch and go?

Steeplechase is AAC Steeplechase. It's usually used as a warm-up game, though if it's AAC-sanctioned, it counts for Qs. Touch n Go is just a warm-up game and generally is just tunnels and contacts. You can run a set course or just familiarize on equipment for your alloted time.

Not sure whether you are East or West in Ontario terms (you're all East to me, I'm in Vancouver!).

If you're east: http://www.absolutea...ntario-s326.php

If you're west: http://www.2012ontar...st.com/home.cfm

There are also a few unwritten rules in AAC. Or maybe they are written somewhere, but I could never find them. One in particular I remember is that when a set of 12 weaves is included in the gamble it's always worth 7. This was never written on any course map or briefed in any trial I attended. I just happened to be watching gamblers at the regional and heard someone get a 7 when there was none on the map, so went to ask about it.

There is also a very stupid rule that a dog cannot take a spread jump at an angle, i.e. slice it, even when the course has that approach and the dog executes it safely. Unless you're a big name competitor or a friend of a corrupt judge, but I digress. ;-)

When I did Steeplechase at the BC Regional, I thought it was just a warmup (and it was never written or announced anywhere that it wasn't), so held contacts and practiced some other stuff. Lo and behold it was a cash round (with some pretty hefty prices compared to USDAA Steeplechase) and I missed out on a lot more moola by training (2nd by less than a second). So always ask! lol

I found AAC to be really fun at the local levels, but some of the stuff I saw and experienced at the regional and national level did not sit well with me. Hopefully your experience is better!

There are also a few unwritten rules in AAC. Or maybe they are written somewhere, but I could never find them. One in particular I remember is that when a set of 12 weaves is included in the gamble it's always worth 7. This was never written on any course map or briefed in any trial I attended. I just happened to be watching gamblers at the regional and heard someone get a 7 when there was none on the map, so went to ask about it.

No. 12 poles are always worth 5, unless they're part of a mini, where the values of all obstacles are doubled if performed with the handler behind the line. So if the 12 poles are part of a mini gamble, perhaps in conjunction with a tire (normally worth 2) then you'll get 14 for that mini. If the poles are part of the main gamble, that's an all or none thing, with the main gamble being worth 35 points plus any time bonuses. Maybe you're thinking of USDAA? biggrin.gif At Regionals, gamblers is run under Masters rules except there are no refusals called in either the mini or main gambles. <insert sound of angels singing>

There is also a very stupid rule that a dog cannot take a spread jump at an angle, i.e. slice it, even when the course has that approach and the dog executes it safely.

Still the only time I've ever seen that one LOL! I still refer to it as "The Slusher incident".

When I did Steeplechase at the BC Regional, I thought it was just a warmup (and it was never written or announced anywhere that it wasn't), so held contacts and practiced some other stuff.

Now that's not true, and I know that because I worked on the entry form. It said "Sanctioned Steeplechase", and it also said there would be a "Run for the money" round. This year, we have run for the money in both Steeplechase and Snooker (both sanctioned, don't practice extra-long holds on your contacts if you want Qs and/or to be in the finals LOL!).

There is also a very stupid rule that a dog cannot take a spread jump at an angle, i.e. slice it, even when the course has that approach and the dog executes it safely. Unless you're a big name competitor or a friend of a corrupt judge, but I digress. ;-)

As an AAC Masters Judge I can tell you that that is incorrect. If you are referring to the ascending spread, if the dog cuts the corner of the spread thereby not jumping it clean, that is considered a non-completion, which is 20 faults in Standard or Jumpers. If it is in Gambers or Snooker, you wouldn't get the points. As well, due to safety reasons, a competitor may not take the ascending spread in reverse in Gamblers or Snooker. If you send the dog over in reverse flow of the jump you would not get the points for it.

Sometimes the dog cuts the corner of a spread jump, and depending where the Judge is standing, they may not be able to see that, or if they are not sure, you always err on the side of the dog, and give the dog the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes the Judge can't see because just as the dog is taking the spread, the handler is in the way of the Judge's line of vision.

Of course, I cannot comment on the incident you are referring to, but that is how the ascending spread jump is judged.

OK so it's been a few years and I didn't remember the point value correctly. :P It still wasn't listed anywhere. I think it's to catch unsuspecting Americans...lol.

The money round I was referring to was my first BC Regional, the one on the Island (2007 maybe?). Not the other one that I've blocked from my memory with the insane blind corrupt judge. :o

So "sanctioned" means there is a money round?

North, I'm glad that's the way you judge it. That's not always the case!

• 2 months later...

Its my first year at regonals too, but I am going with my grandmas golden retiever. My Border Collie is only 4 months old, but we have been in puppy agility class for 6 weeks now. Also I am going to the one in Saskatchewan (Moose Jaw) so I accually don't have to travel because its the clubs that I train in is hosting it. It will be really good because my dog knows the ring too that we will be running in. Also it costed me $130. $10 for 2 warm up runs than all the other runs were 20 each.