BC Boards

how old 2 train

my bc is 13wks old. is it to early to start basic training like, not to bite, not to jump. i already have her sitting, comeing, and shakeing. if you have any experience with training, please help me.

at this age, what does her bitting near the lower calf mean? my mother seams to think that it means that she wants to play. any comments? please e-mail me

------------------

leif pedersen

13 weeks is definitely NOT too young. See if you can find a puppy class in your area- especially if you can find one that uses clicker training! If you can't find a puppy class, find a trainer willing to let you come to class and take some time outs if necessary. Read the clicker training thread.

Hi Leif

Your training can start as young as possible. We started with our new pup the moment we brought her home at 8 weeks. Please remember though never to push down on the hip area to enforce the sit. To stop the biting, first of all don't use your hands to play with her, always use a toy. To stop Isa tugging and pulling at sleeves etc, I simply removed her teeth gently, using the command 'leave'. I did this every time and now, when she tries her luck, I say 'leave' and she immediately removes her teeth. To stop your puppy jumping up at you, try turning sideways on and folding your arms. I have done this with my dogs and didn't even have to say anything to them. Turning sideways was enough to stop them in their tracks. Nipping at the legs is your BC using it's herding skills. My dogs only do this to each other, so I'm afraid I can't offer any help on how to stop your pup doing it to humans, although I would imagine standing still would be appropriate. If you start running then it becomes a big game to her and the nipping gets worse.

Good luck with your pup

Regards, Val

------------------

Val Clark

Hailsham, United Kingdom