BC Boards

Libby is in pain.

Libby is an 11 yr old golden reteiver/white lab mix, and weighs in around 75 lbs. She doesn't want you to touch her hind flanks. If you do she yelps. She is holding her back end up just like normal~no slumping or dragging noted (yet). She just went and was groomed today. After I picked her up they asked if she had hip problems. She never has and was fine when I lifted her into the van to get there and seemed fine when we went to leave. Our vet isn't in the office. What is good to give her to help with pain? or should I? She doesn't wimper when laying down and left alone. Dh is gone all day tomorrow on depositions. So taking her tomorrow will be a challenge and a half ( she is very protective if kids present ~ as in last time muzzle at vet's office). Dh mite be able to help get her there Friday. He could definetly help Sat.

The vets' bank account is gonna love us this month between Mo(125 + next shots), Molly(80) and Libby(?).

Part of me wants to run up to the store and get her a bottle of baby aspirin but I don't know if that would do her any good. Worked for a maltese with pms but that was eons ago and under vets orders.

Could it be arthritis? Here is a web page that has information on aspirin doses for dogs.

If she were my dog, I would probably give her aspirin tonight, and then call the vet in the morning. Even if you can't take her in tommorrow, they could probably tell you what you could use for pain relief for a day or two.

My vet recommended one adult aspirin (non coated)twice per day for our golden when she started suffering (she was about 9). Baby aspirin is probably not going to do much for her if she is a regular big size golden.

Good luck Karrie, whatever you do don't use Advil, the coating is highly toxic to dogs, even just a lick.

Update today she is walking and acting fine. I'm left scratching my head here. Can grooming ( bath, brushing, anal gland cleaning, nail grinding and drying ) cause a sore tail end? Ahha well. Whatever, she is due for a checkup anyway. Calling vet to set up appointment plus tell him what she was doing?

Update. Well it is possible and if they held her tail to help with the grooming then highly possible. They said to watch her. But figure she is sore from the pulling etc.

Also Libby is now running and wagging the tail chasing after the kids. :rolleyes:

You say that she was fine before you brought her in. Is there any way the groomer could have caused it? Maybe gotten too rough, manhandled her(I've seen it done when I used to work at a goormers) or possibly clipped her a little too close to the skin or riped our hair???

I have a feeling that is exactly what happened. I don't think it was intentional. Libby is an old girl and can be ornery and set in her ways. I think I will just do her at home as normal from now on. I had her done cause they have a hydro thingy that reduces shedding. Currently the old girl is taking her afternoon nap.