BC Boards

Agh! the Stand command!

To be completely honest I'm not sure if I understand the difference.

With the kick back stand the dog does not move its front feet. It lifts its back end off the ground and moves the back feet backwards to go into the stand.

The other stand, the dog gets up by moving forward a step or several steps into the stand. Some dogs, however, just by leaning forward a bit to nose target will raise their butts off the floor without any forward motion. It can either depend on the dog or how you are teaching the stand.

Most of the time it is just personal preference as to how you want to teach the stand, and which way you want the dog to do into the stand.

I, like Northof49, teach a kick back stand...I don't want ANY forward movement when asking for and teaching a stand, this comes in handy later on for teaching the stand-stay, moving stand, signals, etc.

I taught it to my pup right away along with the sit and lie down..makes for a fun game :) I tauhgt it to him like this..got him all jazzed letting him know we were going to "work", did some warm up stuff, I got a really yummy stick of string cheese, something he could nibble on..had him sit, then I knelt down next to his side. While he niibled the treat a little I gently touched under his flank a little, or tickled it to get him to KICK back his back legs into a stand(not moving his front end at all) Immedietly rewarded with a "yes" and gave him the rest of the treat.....repeat..

I also taught him to "back up" which will help later with correcting the stand moving forward or signals....

I would just kept working on his "sits".. and "stands" kneeling down next to his side..he caught on right away and I barely had to touch his flank and he was popping back into a nice stand...once he was really catching on I'de make a FUN game that we still use of playing and incormporating his "sit", "lay down" and "stand"....if he ever has any forward movement I would have him "back up" :)

Archived