BC Boards

A Rexxon Valdez brag

We found an astounding variety of ways to NQ in Standard this past summer, but on the weekend, Rex and I finally got it together and are now out of Starters. Phew! In addition to two Starters Standard Qs, he picked up his third Advanced Snooker Q, so on to Masters (I love Snooker!!!), and he got three Steeplechase Qs too. He's getting both smoother and quieter, so that's nice. smile.gif The running contacts held up all weekend long, and the TireFail continues. Some say I should train the tire. These people have no sense of adventure! biggrin.gif

Here's a bit of video from the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSQg3P6aVE

Lovely runs! Congrats! :D His dog walk looks nice and consistent (says I in a jealous tone, as my wee dog has 100% hits at home and is still missing at trials...).

Thanks! Training that dogwalk was a lot of fun, actually. It's not one of those super-fast running DWs but it's pretty darn consistent and he can turn well off of it, as well as get on the DW from wraps, near stand-stills, etc. If you are interested in teaching a running DW to your next dog, Daisy Peel has online classes, as does Sylvia Trkman. It's so much fun to dead-run contacts, even if technically, the teeter shouldn't be running. smile.gif

Kaiser doesn't process info or learn in such a way that I feel those methods would be beneficial to him. I did attempt basic plank work with him once and he just said, "No thanks." He's not a toy motivated dog in the least, so that doesn't help anything.

So the method I used for his running dog walk was to put a tunnel dead at the bottom of the down plank -- Purpose being to keep his focus forward and running as fast as he can. Then as he gets it figured out, you start to move the tunnel back slowly.

I started in August and by the time I put my equipment away in November he was hitting darn near 100% at home without tunnels anymore -- but at trials his striding is just a hair off and he is hitting just above the yellow and either leaping or taking a huge stride. He needs to be hauling ass as fast as he can to hit the striding right -- Which is what he was doing in the charged up atmosphere at NADAC Champs in October, so he only missed one or two dog walks that whole week. But since we've been back to normal trialing, he's only GOTTEN one or two....

He'll figure it out one way or another, but now there isn't much I can do until spring, so we'll suffer through it. :P

I'm letting Kaiser run because he found stopping to be incredibly stressful at trials (and as a result, he rarely stopped anyhow...). Otherwise, I tend to be just fine with a stopped contact and the 100% accuracy it brings. lol Running contacts are exhilarating, though!

Rex isn't much for toys either. Daisy's method relies heavily on the Manners Minder, so if your dog likes food, and understands shaping, it's pretty easy to follow.

Love the running contacts, especially in the games. Making judges run is fun. biggrin.gif

So the method I used for his running dog walk was to put a tunnel dead at the bottom of the down plank -- Purpose being to keep his focus forward and running as fast as he can. Then as he gets it figured out, you start to move the tunnel back slowly.

lol Running contacts are exhilarating, though!

maybe someday Torque and I will join the ranks of successful running contact teams. Sigh. He does OK, not great, at home - maybe about 50%, and even then we are only about 1/4-way up. But at trials, the adrenaline reduces the success rate to <10%. :( So - I only trial once every 3 months or so while I work on RCs in between. The trials are used to see how much more work is needed.

I also tried the tunnel method but that didn't work for us. Somehow Torque managed to find a way to jump the contact zone directly into the tunnel. 100% success rate! I could not have taught him that if I wanted.

And I agree -- running contacts are exhilarating!!

Jovi

Congrats to you and Rex! Looking good.

You and Rex sound a lot like me and Charlie. We excel at the games, but can't buy our way out of Starters Standard. This past weekend, I managed to forget the course. (Whadaya mean, you're not supposed to do the table twice?) I can do a Steeplechase or Grand Prix course with no problem, but I get lost on a Starters Standard course???

This past weekend, I managed to forget the course. (Whadaya mean, you're not supposed to do the table twice?) I can do a Steeplechase or Grand Prix course with no problem, but I get lost on a Starters Standard course???

LOL, Mary, that's bad!!!

Archived