BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Moon

I need to check this with you folks

Seeka is going to need a theraputic tail dock. She has a paralyzed tail and can't move it out of the way of anything and couldn't feel it if something happened to it. She sits on it, s#its on it, drags it through all manner of gahk and it's generally a health and safty problem for her and us.

Our local vet gave us a quote to dock it of $1300. This seems more than a bit high, but I'm not a Vet. Does that price seem right to you?

I think it is. I just paid $300 for a cat with a tumor on its tail.

Account for the difference in weight and drugs and $1300 seems very high.

Any low cost vet options?

That seems quite expensive to me, but I don't know how prices for "normal" things in AZ compare to prices here.

I'm wondering if the vet didn't get the message from her tech that it was a theraputic dock. I know my ex (a vet) would quote very high if she thought the surgery was for cosmetic purposes.

I just called my vet. They said that $800 seems reasonable, with blood work and all included. However, if the tail has to be amputated really close to the body, that would involve more and would be more expensive than sort of docking, with a stump.

I'd try for a second opinion.

I just called my vet. They said that $800 seems reasonable, with blood work and all included. However, if the tail has to be amputated really close to the body, that would involve more and would be more expensive than sort of docking, with a stump.

I'd try for a second opinion.

I'll do that. She looks to have 2-3 inches of tail that she may have control over. She seems to raise it a bit when she squats but I've seen nary a wag. She'd probably need it just short enough to control it with what's left.

Be careful with quotes. Sometimes you get a price for surgery only; no pain meds, pre op bloodwork, IV, etc.

I think $1300 is a bit and I mean a bit on the high side... Depends what it includes.. Do u have a list of what that estimate includes? For a surgery like this depending how short they need to go, can become very involved...

They would probably dock it short like an aussie - nothing to get in the way that way and then you'd have people telling you she's an aussie all the time because no tail.

I think that quote is high. I work in a vet clinic and without actually looking at our computer I would estimate for an adult dog $500-600 for a tail dock (anesthetic induction, gas anesthetic, surgery time, pain meds, cone).