BC Boards

So Good to be Back!!

By comparison, this is what Secret looked like jumping 20" at a trial -- She was running in Elite by this time after a few months of trialing -- This run was something like 2.5 seconds over time or something like that:

And this is video from her trial at the beginning of December -- I moved her down to 16" in August or September.

Moving her down to 16" alleviated a great deal of stress for her. It has allowed her to have more fun. She jumps more like she does at home.

Some people would likely choose to try to move her back up to 20" at this point -- but like I said, she's already accumulated a lot of points at Elite (closing in on NATCH already!) and I am loathe to start over. She's happy, so we'll stay there.

FWIW, "what we do at class" means nothing. Trialing is not like class for the dog. At all. Stress adds an entirely new component.

True, it is different.

However, I don't typically look for a dog to perform at a certain level at trial before the dog gets to that point in class. Of course, there are always exceptions.

However, I don't typically look for a dog to perform at a certain level at trial before the dog gets to that point in class. Of course, there are always exceptions.

I don't get what you are saying here -- Are you saying that she is not fast in class, either, so you don't expect her to be fast at trials? All the more reason to lower her jump height right now.

I realize not every dog is going to be super fast (obviously, Secret is not "fast" for a border collie!), but there is no doubt that your dog can move faster than she currently is -- So why not do whatever you can to help that right now? Lowering jump heights is about the easiest step you can take.

Just give it a try at your next trial -- There is no harm in it, because as I said earlier the Q's from Proficient and Skilled are combined for titles at the lower levels. She is not a poor jumper and I'm quite sure she will jump her measured height well in the future, but I do feel that jumping lower *for now* is in her best interest, to help build her forward drive.

I don't get what you are saying here -- Are you saying that she is not fast in class, either, so you don't expect her to be fast at trials? All the more reason to lower her jump height right now.

I'm saying she is still learning. She is faster in class than she was in the trial, but she is certainly not at the level that she will be at even a month from now.

I realize not every dog is going to be super fast (obviously, Secret is not "fast" for a border collie!), but there is no doubt that your dog can move faster than she currently is -- So why not do whatever you can to help that right now? Lowering jump heights is about the easiest step you can take.

Of course, she can be faster. Shoot, she can move faster than me at a trot!!

In fact, I was actually rather impressed with the fact that she kept pace with me, although, of course, I want her to learn to drive out ahead.

I have started working with her driving out ahead on the flat and I will probably start this more with tunnels and hoops. Knowing Tessa, what she needs is the confidence to get out ahead of me. Once that happens, she's going to be there, then we can look at jumping sequences and work with heights.

I noticed even when we went hiking last weekend, she sometimes realizes she's out ahead of me and skitters back. It was interesting to observe because she would get ahead, realize it, move herself back, get ahead, realize it, move herself back, and then after a few times, get ahead, realize it was OK, and stay out there.

So, this is a confidence thing that goes beyond Agility for her. But, as always, she is making progress fast. I've been working with her the last few days racing to targets and she is starting to realize that the fact that I'm behind her is OK and she's having some fun with it.

Just give it a try at your next trial -- There is no harm in it, because as I said earlier the Q's from Proficient and Skilled are combined for titles at the lower levels. She is not a poor jumper and I'm quite sure she will jump her measured height well in the future, but I do feel that jumping lower *for now* is in her best interest, to help build her forward drive.

I will most likely do that, at the next trial we go to that has jumps. I'm pretty sure the next one is just Tunnelers, Touch and Go, Weavers, and maybe Hoopers. But I think that's perfect, actually.

Archived