BC Boards

Use Unexperienced Trainer, Yes or No?

Hello everyone! I've been reading all your posts for the past few weeks and I'm really glad to have found it. This is my first post, so excuse me in advance if I ask any stupid questions. I'm the proud mom of an 11 wk. old bouncing baby BC named Ozzy. I know it's too early to begin any serious agility training but I wanted to ask you anyway. I'm in Deep River, Connecticut, a small country town with few resources as far as training goes. I found an experienced obedience trainer who told me she was just starting agility training. I know we all have to start somewhere, but should I trust her with my very special BC? I don't think she's even worked with the breed at all. I want to meet with her soon and was wondering what specific questions I should ask her? Plus, what do I want to look for in a trainer? Ozzy's very sensitive and extremely intellegent, I want him to have a good experence. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, Regina

Anyone from CT or close to it with a good trainer? I'm about mid-way between NY and RI,

Mass boarder is pretty close too.

Guest Dynamite Tess

Hi Regina

As you are probably aware you have a good 11 months to go yet before you should attempt any serious agility training with Ozzy. I would use that time to try and visit and watch as many trainers as you can. Visit a training evening and watch the handlers. Are they happy? Is every consideration made regarding safety on the equipment? Do any handlers drop out after a while? You are going to put yourself and your dog in the hands of these trainers, but that doesn't mean you have to tolerate any behaviour you're not happy with. Our club has just got rid of an obedience trainer because her rough handling of other people's dogs was causing members to stay away. What to look for in a trainer: Look for someone who likes what they're doing, likes dogs [not as daft as it sounds], knows about safety and how fit a dog should be. Our trainers will turn away any dog that is overweight, and last week a handler was refused any more lessons when the trainer discovered this handler was in fact very ill and shouldn't be running with her dog.

Welcome to the board Regina. The people here are great and no question is too stupid. Well, maybe how many legs should my dog have? would be a stupid one to ask. By the way, I have started my Border Collie page and Ozzy is on there, but I haven't yet linked it to the site. I will let you know when I have.

Regards, Val

Guest Dynamite Tess

I just wanted to add another post to this thread Regina as today I trained with a woman who I believe is everything an agility trainer should be. I attended the afternoon part of a day long agility session given by someone who is also an agility judge, has competed in Crufts agility and is a contender for next year. First of all, she was as fresh and enthusiastic at 4.30 as she was at 9. She absolutely adored the dogs yet still had every respect for each handler there. She had the patience of a saint, which she needed when my poor husband had trouble with a set up called 'the snake'. He could not get it right, yet she didn't get irritated, didn't seem to mind how many times she had to tell him the same thing over and over again, and in the end she got a result. When we did something well, she made us feel like a million dollars. My friend, who did the morning beginners session, was beside herself with happiness when I arrived because of the new found confidence she'd gained. This is why I have advised you to look around, as I must admit there are a few trainers in my club who shouldn't be doing it. They hardly ever praise, nag a lot and don't instill confidence in those people who are unsure of themselves in the first place. Good luck in your search, I certainly hope you find a trainer like the one I had today. Regards, Val