BC Boards

Traveling with Sheep

desertdawg

I will soon be moving from Arizona to Oregon and am seriously considering taking 9 sheep with me.....mainly because I just like this group of sheep I currently have (they are dog broke, and great for training pups and you dogs, and I have bred "down" in size, so they are small). What do I need to do to get them through ag inspection? And since it is a two day drive, will they be ok with me stopping once in awhile for feed and water? I have never done anything like this before. Thanks in advance.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Here is a link to the USDA site which gives you links to individual states websites, I would check the states you will be traveling through as far as their policies on off loading (though I would just bed heavy and leave them on the trailer if possible) and your destination state for what it's import regulations are. If it is cool during transport I doubt they will drink much during transport, if we were to do it we would toss hay in twice a day and offer a water bucket at the end of the first day, then again the next morning. I would let how they drink dictate how often to water them on the rest of the trip. I would also take water from home vs. using water along the way.

Good luck with the move!!

Deb

For interstate movement of your sheep, it is mandatory for them to have ear tags issued through the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program. You may have already have done this, but if not, here is the link to obtain the approved ear tags for your sheep. USDA Scrapie Tags

Deb has given you some good advice for the transport of your sheep. Good luck in your move!

Regards,

nancy

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was looking at trailers to purchase so I can take my sheep to new fields for practice. My vehicle can't pull a big livestock trailer, so I was considering a small utility trailer with a slide in livestock "cage" that companies sell (they are supposed to be used as truck bed inserts). It will be open to the elements. How do sheep fair in open trailers if it's raining or the weather is really bad? Is it legal to use them for interstate travel (I am buying some sheep from another state in the spring)?

Yes you must have scrapie tags in all of them plus health papers. If you are transporting rams most likely they will need a Brucellosis test as well. You will want to check with any states you are travelling through to see if they require anything different.

I think legally in all states livestock are only allowed on the trailer for 24 hours, but as with all of this it is best to check for sure. We almost always drive straight through so they were not on the trailer for more than the legal time. Also legally we are required to stop at weigh stations BUT never have. We have never been pulled over for it either but...

We always have hay for them, do not grain unless we are stopping overnight and at least offer water. As for water, As Deb said, it is best to haul some from where you live if possible. Sheep are funky about drinking strange water. Or take some baking soda(neutralize the smell) or jello to neutralize the taste. IF you must offload somewhere some fairgrounds offer overnight facilities for a minimal fee or perhaps you know people along the way where you could unload.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was looking at trailers to purchase so I can take my sheep to new fields for practice. My vehicle can't pull a big livestock trailer, so I was considering a small utility trailer with a slide in livestock "cage" that companies sell (they are supposed to be used as truck bed inserts). It will be open to the elements. How do sheep fair in open trailers if it's raining or the weather is really bad? Is it legal to use them for interstate travel (I am buying some sheep from another state in the spring)?

I'd say find a means to securely tie some sort of covering over the top and sides of the "cage." When you figure the sheep are weathering sustained, hours-long 55-60 mph gales in the back of that thing ... a cover is only kind, especially if the weather is going to be bad. It would be awful if cold/wet weather in high winds led to respiratory ailments.

~ Gloria

Liz,

I move sheep regularly in the type of set up you describe. AS others have noted, I wouldn't expose the sheep to rain, etc., in such a trailer, but for short trips to different nearby fields, I think you'd be fine.

If you do try to make a cover for it (and I believe there are covers specifically designed for those "Goat Gofers"), heavy duty canvas will work better and last longer than any sort of plastic tarp. Here's a picture of the covers on the goat gofer.

J.

Thanks, Julie. It looks like DH & I are narrowing our search down to either the Burnsville area or the Brevard area and it looks like there is a TS store 30-40 away from either location and SS is even closer. ND's are so small I might not need a Goat Gofer but I know I'll be needing other supplies and equipment. But then again I might enjoy them so much my herd might grow or they might grow larger than I expect. I need to find a ND farm or a goat rescue I can volunteer at before starting my own herd.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Here is a link to the USDA site which gives you links to individual states websites, I would check the states you will be traveling through as far as their policies on off loading (though I would just bed heavy and leave them on the trailer if possible) and your destination state for what it's import regulations are. If it is cool during transport I doubt they will drink much during transport, if we were to do it we would toss hay in twice a day and offer a water bucket at the end of the first day, then again the next morning. I would let how they drink dictate how often to water them on the rest of the trip. I would also take water from home vs. using water along the way.

Good luck with the move!!

Deb

I sure appreciate the tips on the water.....I never would have guesses that animals that poop in their own water and then drink it could be so picky. I got lots of good ideas on where to start with this. Thanks.

Small world, Renee has family in the Burnsville area (Phillips Creek Rd).

Cool! If it turns out our parcel is in the Burnsville area, maybe one of these years we can meet in person. (I'm definitely going to need all the tips I can get. :)) Come to think of it, my brother's name is Phillip (with 2 L's). Maybe that's a sign...

Archived