BC Boards

Agility training

I would like to train my pup for agility. Does anyone know of any trainers in the Baltimore-Washington corridor where we could learn? Also--how old should he be? I know I have to get him through basic obedience first, but I'd like to know where we can go when he's ready. Thanks!

Guest Dynamite Tess

Dear Janet

I can only help you with the age here. Ideally he should be at least one year old. Give his little joints and muscles time to develop. Concentrate on obedience and play and find out what motivates him. When you do start agility you may only need his favourite toy as reward. Many of the club members here throw the dog's favourite ball over the last hurdle and the dog's reward is a game with it. I give my girls cod liver oil capsules on their food to help keep them supple for this sport. Sorry I can't help you with the trainers, but who knows, once my girls have their canine passports we could be popping over to see you and will come home with more knowledge of how things work in America. Regards, Val