BC Boards

How fast are Border Collies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how it would translate but Cressa was running roughly 5.5 yards per second at this last trial(although they were not the greatest runs). To be very competitive you need to be about 6.0-6.6 yards per second. Not sure of that helps answer your question?

Well let's see. 1 mile = 1760 yards and 1 hr = 3600 seconds.

So, a dog running 5.5 y/s x 3600 s/hr = 19,800 y/hr. 19,800 y/hr x 1 mi/1760 y = 11.25 mph. Not as fast as it seems, but when you consider that if a human could run a 4 min mile and keep that up for an hour, then the human would be running at 15 mph.

Of course it's unlikely that dog or human could keep up such a pace for an hour at a time.

Not a math whiz, so someone might find a mistake here.

A quick search indicated that greyhounds run at about 19.2 yards/second = 39.35 mph.

J.

This seems like a good opportunity to show off my Dexter, who did this Jumpers course in just over 15 seconds - IOW, at the rate of about one obstacle per second.

http://youtu.be/s7CkiL99eV8

I didn't check his YPS as I left the trial shortly after his run, but he's jumping 26" and makes it look effortless.

RDM

Omg! How did you manage???

Don't know how agility compare to flat out running. I know in our pack Cressa isn't the fastest she is just quicker on her feet.

Eta: nice run RDM!

maybe I should say... She was about 5.5y/s in 16in jumper with weaves at excellant level this past weekend. To be competitive at nationals levels her times need to be closer to some of the 20in and 26in top runs at our local level. And those dog avg about 6-6.6 y/s in jumpers not sure how that would translate to Cressa jump height?

and that tunneler run or whatever its called looks like a blast to run!

The other day Leila was keeping up with a greyhound at the dog park, they had some really good all out sprints going. The greyhound was not impressed with being herded about.

This seems like a good opportunity to show off my Dexter, who did this Jumpers course in just over 15 seconds - IOW, at the rate of about one obstacle per second.

http://youtu.be/s7CkiL99eV8

I didn't check his YPS as I left the trial shortly after his run, but he's jumping 26" and makes it look effortless.

RDM

Impressive!!..to say the least. He just floats over the jumps.

The one thing that amazes me, atleast when I watch my Dexter run is his abiltiy to maintain control and carry speed through a turn. He gets down low and it seems like he actually acelerates going around a corner. I have a nice track worn into my lawn where he cuts the corners! He just loves to run...All I have to say is "go" and he's off like a rocket.

Thanks for the responses everyone, hard to say for sure but I would believe 30mph in a sprint would not be out of the question?

I remember riding my ATV last summer (which tells you what mph you're going) and Oli, having been left behind and not liking it, took off after me. I didn't notice him until I was going at least 30mph and he caught up to me. He couldn't run like that for long, but he's a heck of a sprinter. And to think I used to be able to outrun him when he was a pup :lol:

Here's a video of the fastest dog I know, Synergy:

Syn runs Tunnelers in the 8 yps range on average. I want to say she has broken 9 yps once or twice. She is blazing fast.

And this is my friend's dog, Peppy -- When she manages to run clean ( ;) ) she is pretty much always over 7 yps and she breaks 8 yps in Tunnelers & Weavers.

Secret? Well, she has yet to show that kind of speed on an agility course, but holy hell is she fast when she chases trains. Not that I encourage the behavior. Okay, maybe I do. We walk on a bike trail that is parallel to a set of train tracks (like 100 yards away) and she likes to race them.... It's the fastest I ever see her go, I'd really love to clock her some time. She's got to be going a minimum of 30 mph.

Oh, that is so beautifully fast Dex BC. Now Eluane's totally head-over-heels, lol!

My girlie gives him the "flirty eyes", lol! Saying hey, I can be fast too...Wait for me, Dex, she says! Here she is doing one of those very sharp twisty turns between a cramped tunnel, the triple jump and the next twisty jump to the side where I'm at)

2011-Eluane-Agility_Labor-Day-Weekend04.jpg

2011-Eluane-Agility_Labor-Day-Weekend07.jpg

Oh, that is so beautifully fast Dex BC. Now Eluane's totally head-over-heels, lol!

My girlie gives him the "flirty eyes", lol! Saying hey, I can be fast too...Wait for me, Dex, she says! Here she is doing one of those very sharp twisty turns between a cramped tunnel, the triple jump and the next twisty jump to the side where I'm at)

LOL....Great action shots of Eluane...this is why I need a better camera. Most of my photos are with my iPone!

I have no idea if Dex would be a good agility dog but I`m thinking about joining the local club in the spring. He`s a good disc dog as we practice this alot.

He can jump a log in the woods pretty well but I`m not sure how he would do on an agility course. (finding the time for training is the problem).

Of course; I don't think anyone suggested they were. The original question was how fast a border collie could run. I believe the folks who say they've reached 35 mph while running after something (like a greyhoud), though I expect those are pretty short bursts of speed. Clearly any running the dog is doing that also requires a lot of turns or obstacles isn't going to be as fast as a dog running straight ahead with no obstacles. The figure that I posted for the agility times is still a pretty good clip.

J.

very lol, I love watching my girls run full tilt.. I dont know how fast Happy can actually run, she only ever runs fast enough to beat the dog she is running with, but I have yet to see her lose lol, she was a 3.7 second flyball dog in her day. Misty can tear up ground pretty good too, she is a little faster then Happy these days..not by much though and only because Happy is 11 and slowing down a bit lol

Pretty darn fast. Last winter Jude was exercised running by the skidoo. He's been clocked over 37 mph ( obviously for short burst lol, he can comfortably run by the quad going 22-25 or so, and still tear after squirrels he sees and Trot back to keep intime with me). He q'ed his first ever steeplechase run with 10 faults and popped out of the weaves once and had to restart, with a time of 32 seconds (with the faults included). That's at 26". He's blazing fast and I love it. I've also worked really hard to never squash his speed too, anything that couldn't be accomplished because he was going too fast he still for rewarded and I worked harder on my handling.

I love border collies. Such impressive specimens. :)

I sold a Tess pup (Anson aka Goose) to a flyball home. He still does herding but his main goal is to do flyball. He was fixed as part of the deal as any dog that goes into a sport home. They love him and in 2011 he was the fastest Border Collie in Flyball (3.74) . They have had a lot of people want to bred to him and after they tell them that he is fixed, the folks want another one like him so they ask about his breeding and how to get one like him. Their interest fades once they learn that they are told if they get a pup from me, it must be fixed. It seems that those folks want a fast flyball dog that they can bred.

Interestly enough, Anson's owner know the reasoning for breeding for working ability and what it takes. They are very educated and I would sell them another pup. They also screen the potential buyers out quickly as they understand what breeding or lack there of is about. They are also one of the best dog around.

Anson's parents (Tess and Scott) were not the fastest dogs that I ever owned but the pups from that litter are extremely fast. They are on the small size and can outrun the other dogs with ease. Go figure......