BC Boards

Sore Leg

D'Elle

My Kit, who will be 9 this December if I remember right, and who has now been with me for 3.5 years, seems to have developed a chronically sore left front leg. She whines if it is touched in anything but the most gentle fashion, and she licks and bites it regularly.

She has always been a paw-licker, with all of her paws, and never licks to the point of licking off the fur or anything like that. But she seems to be focusing a lot on that one paw and leg, again without doing it obsessively or to the point of any kiknd of damage.

Although she runs as fast as ever and moves without any limp, and doesn't seem any more sore after a lot of exercise than she does prior to exercise, it is clear there's something going on.

I had her in to my vet several months ago because she seemed a bit on the stiff side getting up from the floor. On her recommendation I started giving her Dasuquin daily along with the fish oil she was already getting.

Since the front paw started being so sore several weeks ago, I have been worried, and a couple weeks ago I upped her dosage of the Dasuquin to twice a day, which was her original dose.( After the first 3 weeks, the vet had told me, I could go down to once a day.) The vet said at the time she prescribed Dasuquin that she did not present any symptoms that indicated she had Valley Fever, and she thought that the stiffness was just a bit of age coming on.

I do not know whether to take her in again for this or not.

Ever dealt with something that sounds like this? If you have advice, I shall be grateful.

D'Elle

My Kit, who will be 9 this December if I remember right, and who has now been with me for 3.5 years, seems to have developed a chronically sore left front leg. She whines if it is touched in anything but the most gentle fashion, and she licks and bites it regularly.

She has always been a paw-licker, with all of her paws, and never licks to the point of licking off the fur or anything like that. But she seems to be focusing a lot on that one paw and leg, again without doing it obsessively or to the point of any kiknd of damage.

Although she runs as fast as ever and moves without any limp, and doesn't seem any more sore after a lot of exercise than she does prior to exercise, it is clear there's something going on.

I had her in to my vet several months ago because she seemed a bit on the stiff side getting up from the floor. On her recommendation I started giving her Dasuquin daily along with the fish oil she was already getting.

Since the front paw started being so sore several weeks ago, I have been worried, and a couple weeks ago I upped her dosage of the Dasuquin to twice a day, which was her original dose.( After the first 3 weeks, the vet had told me, I could go down to once a day.) The vet said at the time she prescribed Dasuquin that she did not present any symptoms that indicated she had Valley Fever, and she thought that the stiffness was just a bit of age coming on.

I do not know whether to take her in again for this or not.

Ever dealt with something that sounds like this? If you have advice, I shall be grateful.

D'Elle

We had a Heinz 57 terrier cross - a midsized dog, about 35 pounds - who as he aged began to lick and worry his front paws. We started him on on Rimydil (sp?) and the behavior ceased. If one paw/leg hurts more, I might suspect that an old injury is just making it hurt more i.e. arthritis settling into a stressed joint or that she has somehow injured it.

Have you thought about trying a different joint supplement to see if that makes a difference? CetylM Advance and Joint Strong both worked really well for Missy.

Also, have you rested her really well? I would try 2 weeks of pretty restricted exercise (ie, no running, jumping, chasing toys) and see if that makes a difference.

I've got pretty severe tendonitis/carpal tunnel syndrome, and when it's bad, it's like little rivers of fire from my wrists up to my elbows.

I think Shonie had some tendonitis, too, related to the malformation of her front paws from chronic arthritis at an early age. She'd lick and lick. Once we put her Metacam and an anti-inflammatory, at age 13 or so, she was much better.

I'd do the total rest thing and see if it clears up a bit. If it is tendonitis, it takes a good while to really heal.

Good luck!

Ruth and Gibbs

I'd call the vet. It could be an unrelated injury.

You must have goat-heads, cacti, and other things that could be ignorable during "work" and get sore when the pup is calmed down.

And I know that I can bike or run OK, then I have real pain when everything relaxes.

So it could be either external or internal.

Thanks so much for the replies......

Now that it has been a while since I doubled her Dasuquin, she seems better. Still licking, but she has always done that. I can now touch and maneuver her leg without her responding, so it must be better. If it stays good, all is well. If not, I will try the other meds suggested. thanks again!

D'Elle

Archived