BC Boards

Lines with Seizures

Bdhod1

I have an epilectic dog, imported at 6 mths. of age, first seisure at 1.5 yrs old, after months of training and high hopes of a future trial dog. She is from very popular breeding. She is now a pet, really umable to work safely as her high dose of meds keeps her rather unstable on her feet. I know of one other related dog via top side (sire side) back two generations but since she is from GB, I would not know of any other relatives with seizures. The gentleman I bought her from never responded when I informed him of this problem and she (my dog) was a service fee pup. I have contributed her blood to the seizure research group. Speaking from experience, I would rather now deal with an HD dog than a seizure dog. Due to emotional attachment, have not been able to put this dog down but may have to face that situation some day as she has needed gradual increases in her medications to remain stable. Her case was severe enough to require a week long stay in hospital with IV drugs to reach stability. So speaking from my limited experience, I would never breed if even the risk was 1 in a thousand to produce this disease. Doing research before breeding is all fine and dandy but I am thinking that not all breeders/owners are as forthcoming as they might be.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic