BC Boards

BC for me?

Hi there Sixx!

I was talking about Point Defiance Park. Have you been? It's not really too challenging of a hike, but it's still fun to poke around the woods a bit, and it has AMAZING views of the Sound. I definitely recommend it if you're in the area!

I've heard nothing but awesome things about Fido's Farm! I've toyed with the idea of going down there, but I didn't want to be the creepy lady just standing there without a dog, LOL. I kind of figured it would be like going to a playground and watching the kids play, but not having one of your own. I might have to drag Darcy and her dogs down there though, she still has never been, and she has a 9 month old Belgian Malinois that's been driving her crazy. Maybe herding would be a good outlet for all that teenage angst of hers! I've been wanting to get out there and meet some BCs and their owners, I'm just shy by nature, so it's a little awkward for me. There's also a border collie meetup group in Maple Valley that I've been eyeing as well.

And now that you bring up herding, I've been curious about some things pertaining to it. First off, some of the articles I've read have used the term "hobby herder" like it's a dirty word. I mean I don't want to get my dog out there, give her the time of her life, and then make her go back to "normal life". Does that sound weird? It seems like something that fun couldn't be a bad thing. I mean I like ice cream, but I don't need to eat it everyday to feel fulfilled in my life. Would similar logic apply to a border collie and herding? I'm very much a newbie when it comes to understanding the border collie brain, but I'm eager to learn!

Hi Karynne,

I have been around the Point Defiance Park. It was years ago and I actually don't remember it much. I like that the trail drops down to the water, I remember that. :) I may have to check it out again.

Fido's is a great place. I teach beginner agility there, but I've taken a break as of recent. Trying to focus more on my dog's agility performance and doing some sheep herding on the side. You are more than welcome to stop by and say "hi", you could also hang out with our BC's and see their personalities and characteristics first hand. We wouldn't think you were the weird lady w/o a dog! :lol: We let the dogs run around in one of the open fields on good days.

Your friend might have fun at Fido's if you brought her. ;) One of the agility instructors recently got a Malinois. It's her first. He's really sweet. She also has a BC and Aussie. I'm not sure if she's tried herding with him yet.

We hold sheep trials at Fido's as well as clinics. Karen Child was just out there with her crew. She's got some really nice dogs. As far as herding goes.. I guess I would be called a "hobby herder". I love working sheep and it would be great to participate in local trials once I get to that point. I don't think there is anything wrong with working your dog on sheep if you don't plan on trialing or one day owning a farm. It's awesome to test your dog's ability and there is nothing that can compare to seeing your dog work sheep, it's a work of art. I like to work my dog when I can. I like to see her improvements. I really enjoy watching her do what she was bred for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost everyone I've told about my yearning for a border collie responds with "but you live in an apartment". Pretty discouraging when you hear it repetitively, but I know keeping a BC happy is not about the size of your yard but your level of commitment.

It's not the size of your place that matters. It's the fact that you practice mental/physical stimulation daily.

My two pups travelled Alaska in a motorhome for part of the time and then an apartment for the rest. Were we hanging out at home all the time? No, but they had great off switches when we were at home. The key is having the mental stimulation. We would hike daily at some amazing places that I still can't believe were real, then we would do obedience, tricks and agility training.

I seems that the crazy off the wall bc's you mention your husband thinks of when he thinks of a BC, sounds like bad breeding. A well bred dog should be able to get the job done (whether it's hiking in the park and learning tricks, or working sheep) and settle nicely in the house.

On a side note: I would never leave my bc's at a doggie daycare. That's my preference, but I know my dog's personalities and they would rather work than hang out all day with other dogs. I could only imagine Seek being reclusive. It's not to say that my dog's don't like the company of other dogs, especially other bc's, but for hours on end would probably drive them crazy.

I seems that the crazy off the wall bc's you mention your husband thinks of when he thinks of a BC, sounds like bad breeding. A well bred dog should be able to get the job done (whether it's hiking in the park and learning tricks, or working sheep) and settle nicely in the house.

That, and also people do create the wild out of control dogs because they don't provide for the dogs mind and/or don't teach a dog about an off switch.

It sounds like a visit to Fido's is a must then! Now I'm thinking it might be better to drag my husband down there so we can both get some face time with BCs! Should we email/call ahead? Or just show up? And are there any events coming up that any of you guys will be attending? Approaching complete strangers isn't really common practice for us so some friendly faces I've already talked to on the forum would be a lot less intimidating!

That, and also people do create the wild out of control dogs because they don't provide for the dogs mind and/or don't teach a dog about an off switch.

To add some comments from a first time BC owner (or should I say frist time being owned by a BC): Border Collies are fantastic dogs but you really need to know what you are getting into (which I think you do from your posts). My wife had always wanted one but I was unsure at first as well.

The above quote is an important statement. You really need to be prepared to provide for the dog's needs on a daily basis and take the time to "work" with your new "partner" to set boundaries, training, socialization, mental stimulation and so on. We only chose to go ahead and adopt a border collie after my wife switched to an evening shift so that someone is almost always home. In the event that we are both away my inlaws come and stay at our house so Dex has the attention/exercise he needs. Most BC's can also be easily startled by many things in normal life - "The dreaded vacuum" as an example. You will probably find yourself dealing with the many things that can "spook" a BC on a daily basis as well. They are also incredibly persistent, especially when it comes to play. If your BC want's to play fetch you really will not have any choice but to drop what you are doing and if you give in expect to through the ball about 20 times.

From living with a BC for two years they really are "tuned" to everything you do and everything that goes on in your house, life, etc.

It really is a "commitment" that you need to make. I think that so many end up in rescues as most people don't realize the commitment required.

You will also find that not all border collies are the same and it may be important to find the BC that is right for you.

I hope that you find a great BC who is right for you, and if it is a rescue even better!

It sounds like a visit to Fido's is a must then! Now I'm thinking it might be better to drag my husband down there so we can both get some face time with BCs! Should we email/call ahead? Or just show up? And are there any events coming up that any of you guys will be attending? Approaching complete strangers isn't really common practice for us so some friendly faces I've already talked to on the forum would be a lot less intimidating!

Sundays are usually great days. Agility starts at 9am and continues on usually until 12. There are always folks out there working sheep. You can check out the puppy sheep area too. They have round pens set up for beginners.

Agility will be closed for Thanksgiving week and classes will start up again in the beginning of December. You can just show up whenever. If you let me know ahead of time, I will be there with my pup crew and my friend can bring her BC puppies along. I'm not sure of any trials or clinics coming up, but I can find out.

Also Sue is a trainer and Diane in Carnation and Maggi on Vashon and Karen Child at Fido's There are alot of trials here right now one each weekend!

They are also incredibly persistent, especially when it comes to play. If your BC want's to play fetch you really will not have any choice but to drop what you are doing and if you give in expect to through the ball about 20 times.

Sounds like your dog has YOU trained B)

I just tell mine to go lay down if I'm in the middle of something and they do...

I just tell mine to go lay down if I'm in the middle of something and they do...

Yup. And they are excellent at learning who will absent minded-ly throw a toy and who will be firm and tell them to go lay down.

That's exactly what I mean when I say that you can create the non-stop motion monster. You need to find a balance between providing for them the stimulation and exercise that they actually do need, and teaching them to amuse themselves and settle and that you do not exist to entertain them 24 hours a day.

If you fill their day with non stop activities, they will come to expect that and be annoying as all hell if they don't get it. But you can teach them that fun stuff will happen, but sometimes they need to play alone (chew stuff, play with toys, or with other dogs) if they are bored, and sometimes they will be expected to be quiet, they catch on. Context is everything.

That's why when people say that the dogs they see at an agility trial are psycho, I feel the need to point out they were probably taught to be that way in that context. Some people feel that they want their dogs to be 'on' and keyed up to be fast and so the dogs have learned how to be like that in that environment. If that's not what you want, teach them otherwise.

@ Dex BC:

I definitely agree that lots of people underestimate the commitment involved. The shelter I'm involved with gets quite a few BCs for this reason, and sadly as a result of their owners indifference to training and socialization, they don't all pass the behavioral exam and make it to the adoption floor. I suspect most of them were "outside dogs" and got very little in the way of human interaction. BCs are a sensitive breed and when you take them from the only home they've known and dump them in a shelter environment, they're perceptive enough to know they should be scared, and they act accordingly, usually in the way of fear biting and snarling to warn people off. It's extremely sad to see, as in the right home, when given what they need, I'm sure they could be lovely dogs.

That's pretty much how my friend Darcy came across her Belgian Malinois puppy. At nine weeks old she was dumped at the shelter by a single mom with three kids, who realized too late that she was too much dog for their family. Nandi, with time, patience, and lots of training is growing into a wonderful dog. But Darcy and I would love to find the breeder that thought it a good idea to give that woman a puppy, and have some, um, strong words with him/her. Particularly since we've gotten three more purebred Belgian Malinois in since Nandi. Odds are they're from the same place.

For about the last year, even without a dog of my own, my life has revolved around all things canine. My bedtime reads are not literary classics, they're Patricia McConnell training manuals, and animal behavior textbooks. If you were to dig through my internet history 95% of it would be dog-related. My free-time is spent borrowing friend's dogs for dog park outings and hikes. I started my own dog walking company because I couldn't imagine having a career that didn't center around dogs. I smile a sad smile when I read "Border Collies are a lifestyle" because I've got the lifestyle, just no Border Collie to go with it. I can assure you I'm committed. :D

@ Sixx: Early December sounds perfect! Money is tight right now (pretty much the only reason we haven't started the adoption process already), so even just driving to Olympia has to be budgeted for. I'll definitely let you know when we're heading down there, I'd love to meet your pups in person (and you too for that matter, LOL)!

@ Tea: That sounds like it would be a ton of fun! But unfortunately we won't have enough gas money to make it up there this weekend, but I would love to go sometime soon! I noticed you listed falconry as one of your interests, so I'd love to pick your brain about that as well! When I was 12 I read My Side of the Mountain and became obsessed with falconry and living off the land. With pet rabbits of my own now, I don't think I could stomach the hunting aspects, but the birds of prey still fascinate me!

@ rushdoggie: Well said!

Yes, when it comes to fetch anyways, I love it as much as he does and I think Dex knows that! ^_^

(same with my kids, they know they can get away with more things with Dad).

Not my wife though, she is more "the voice of reason". It seems to be a good balance between the two of us. He is a very well behaved dog actually and he knows by my body language/voice when I want to have fun or when I'm looking for him to follow commands.

In the end Dexter has been an easier dog to live with than our Goldens were.

@ Sixx: Early December sounds perfect! Money is tight right now (pretty much the only reason we haven't started the adoption process already), so even just driving to Olympia has to be budgeted for. I'll definitely let you know when we're heading down there, I'd love to meet your pups in person (and you too for that matter, LOL)!

Understandable. Let me find out "the perfect date" that you should drop by. You know when such and such handlers/dogs will be around. It will make it a more meaningful trip if you get to meet the right people. I will PM you some details shortly.

Sounds wonderful! I "casually" asked my husband today if he would be interested in going with me to visit Fido's, and instead of the usual eye roll (which I've found translates to "not more dog stuff again?!") he actually said "yeah, that could be fun". I was driving at the time, and I honestly damn near swerved when I heard that, it caught me so off guard! So I'm taking this as a sign his reluctance is morphing into reserved acceptance. Baby steps, one at a time...

As great and smart as border collies are, they are super weird and quirky, and that's why I love them even more. :lol: They all have their quirks and they are all different. This is something magical that you will get to explore with your BC when the time comes.

I'm sure other folks have stories of their bc quirks, but here are a few of mine.

I used to have a cat climbing tree made of driftwood with the cat food on top. It was easily reached by my dogs, but they knew better than to get into it. Good dogs. Seek LOVES to work. So anytime I would leave the house without her, she would run to the front window (where the cat tree was) and stand on it, viciously eating the cat food while staring at me. :rolleyes: If she could talk, it would be "I'll show her."

Another thing Seek will do when I don't take her to "work", is take all the pillows and blankets off my bed (or couch) and put them on the floor, so I have to make my bed when I get home. She is ridiculously brilliant in her attempts to annoy me, but I just laugh inside because I find her so silly.

Cedar likes dog toys very much and always wants to play, but she LOVES cat toys! When we go shopping at the local pet store, she immediately takes me to the kitty aisle to pick out some toys. The staff at the store always get a kick out of what she selected and brings to the register. This never fails to amuse me. :P

Cedar is the only pup I've ever known who sounds like chewbacca. She quails or yodels out her excitement when we are going to go "bye bye". It's the weirdest and funniest sound I have ever heard. I always reward her when she does this because I find it endearing. She started doing this as a young pup when she woke up in the morning and then it passed on to her being excited.

Haha, your pups sound lovely! I have profound respect for any animal that can play a good practical joke! Our bunnies are quite the jokesters as well. There was one night where we tested out letting them go free range overnight. We were living in a studio at the time, so we figured we'd wake up if they got into too much trouble. We checked, and double checked, that everything was bunny proofed and then went to bed. Sometime in the middle of the night I got the strange feeling I was being watched, and awoke to find myself nose to nose with Bettie. She was sitting on my pillow with her face about an inch from mine, just watching me sleep. As soon as she noticed my eyes were open she nose-bonked me twice and then binkied off the bed. I was laughing so hard, I actually woke my husband up (no easy task!). So now we have a "fall asleep at your own risk" rule when the bunnies are out. My husband has many stories of Esco messing with me while I'm sleeping, usually in the form of climbing all over me and binkying on my back. You'd think I'd wake up with a twenty pound rabbit jumping on me, but nope.

And for all the non-bunny people who don't know what a binky is, here's a couple of links...

. Binkies are pretty much elaborate happy dances. I compare it to children giggling, as it seems to be a completely involuntary reaction when something makes them happy. They're certainly adorable to watch!

@ Dex BC:

I definitely agree that lots of people underestimate the commitment involved. The shelter I'm involved with gets quite a few BCs for this reason, and sadly as a result of their owners indifference to training and socialization, they don't all pass the behavioral exam and make it to the adoption floor. I suspect most of them were "outside dogs" and got very little in the way of human interaction. BCs are a sensitive breed and when you take them from the only home they've known and dump them in a shelter environment, they're perceptive enough to know they should be scared, and they act accordingly, usually in the way of fear biting and snarling to warn people off. It's extremely sad to see, as in the right home, when given what they need, I'm sure they could be lovely dogs.

That's pretty much how my friend Darcy came across her Belgian Malinois puppy. At nine weeks old she was dumped at the shelter by a single mom with three kids, who realized too late that she was too much dog for their family. Nandi, with time, patience, and lots of training is growing into a wonderful dog. But Darcy and I would love to find the breeder that thought it a good idea to give that woman a puppy, and have some, um, strong words with him/her. Particularly since we've gotten three more purebred Belgian Malinois in since Nandi. Odds are they're from the same place.

For about the last year, even without a dog of my own, my life has revolved around all things canine. My bedtime reads are not literary classics, they're Patricia McConnell training manuals, and animal behavior textbooks. If you were to dig through my internet history 95% of it would be dog-related. My free-time is spent borrowing friend's dogs for dog park outings and hikes. I started my own dog walking company because I couldn't imagine having a career that didn't center around dogs. I smile a sad smile when I read "Border Collies are a lifestyle" because I've got the lifestyle, just no Border Collie to go with it. I can assure you I'm committed. :D

Glad to hear! Sorry if you had made note in your earlier posts that you were an expereinced dog person....I have not had time to read the entire thread. Now if all prospective dog owners had this much commitment, persepctive, expereince it would be a perfect world!

We adopted our Dex from an all breed resuce, and it is sad to see any dog end up in this situation.

LOL, I don't blame you it's gotten quite lengthy! Sorry if my post sounded like I was offended or trying to be combative, wasn't my intention at all. You're Dex is GORGEOUS by the way! A black and white rough coat is my favorite, but when the time comes I won't rule anyone out based on appearance.

The situation you described with you, your wife, and Dex, sounds a lot like how I expect our household will be! All the critters know Daddy is the pushover, Mommy has the tough love. I imagine the hubby will be getting a lot of tennis balls dropped at his feet... :P

So anytime I would leave the house without her, she would run to the front window (where the cat tree was) and stand on it, viciously eating the cat food while staring at me. :rolleyes: If she could talk, it would be "I'll show her."

Pahahaaa, what a rebel :P

LOL, I don't blame you it's gotten quite lengthy! Sorry if my post sounded like I was offended or trying to be combative, wasn't my intention at all. You're Dex is GORGEOUS by the way! A black and white rough coat is my favorite, but when the time comes I won't rule anyone out based on appearance.

The situation you described with you, your wife, and Dex, sounds a lot like how I expect our household will be! All the critters know Daddy is the pushover, Mommy has the tough love. I imagine the hubby will be getting a lot of tennis balls dropped at his feet... :P

No offense taken :D ...Hope you find a dog which is right for your family. You won't regret it, Border Collies are non stop entertainment. We have a good laugh everyday at all the quirky things Dex does and all his personality traits.

Yes, I'm definitely the push over....He dragged me outside in the cold and wind last night to play frisbee but I don't mind...good stress releiver. He stood at the garage door with the frisbee in his mouth and gave me "the look" until I gave in.

Yes, I'm definitely the push over....He dragged me outside in the cold and wind last night to play frisbee but I don't mind...good stress releiver. He stood at the garage door with the frisbee in his mouth and gave me "the look" until I gave in.

Yes, they are good at giving the look! :P

I got that first thing this morning (right when I woke up), and obediently got dressed and hit the park for a game of fetch. They never convince me that fast. Maybe I felt guilty for leaving them at home for Thanksgiving... you know the "my house is expensive and nice and no dogs allowed" kind of situation. Ugh. They loved the leftover turkey though, got super kudos for that one. ;)

Archived