BC Boards

Eye discharge

brady's mom

I searched the boards for this and only found one similar topic, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

This morning, Brady woke up with a loooot of discharge/eye gunk coming out of his eyes. It had completely matted the fur on his left eye and was a bright green color (much like the color of a sinus infection). At first the right eye was alright, with only a little bit of the same discharge. As the day progressed both eyes started getting worse. The sclera is inflamed and very red. There is also heavy discharge from both eyes now. I've been doing warm wet cloth compresses to help clear away the gook and to help sooth them, but I think they've become very itchy; he keeps pawing at his eyes.

I'm going to try and get him in early tomorrow at the vet before work, but just wanted to see if you guys might have a clue as to what's going on?

Sounds like it might well be some form of eye infection and I would agree that you need to get him into the vet asap. I remember some years ago, that our vet at the time told me that green pus was indicative of a particular type of bacterial infection but it's been so long I don't remember the details.

Best wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery!

We had an eye infection go through all the dogs here a couple of years ago. It was basically pink eye... I can't remember the real name in my pre-coffee state. All the dogs had gunky discharge. A week or so of drops cleared it up. Nick also gets disgusting, copious discharge when his allergies flare up, but it's yellow or clear, not green.

I used to have a ewe who was blind in one eye from an infection. Eyes aren't anything to mess with.

i just went through this with one of my dogs. Gunky green discharge and red in one eye. The vet diagnosed it as some type of infection since they didn't see anything in the eye, and gave us antibiotic ointment, which cleared it right up. Two days later the other eye turned up gunky so I used the ointment in both eyes for awhile and now they both look great.

Archived