BC Boards

Dirty Little Secret

Amelia

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

collars.jpg

Thanks to the My Dog Face comic strip, by Adrian Raeside, one of my favorites.

Good one, Jan!

Of course, looking at the state of the world, I wonder if a Geneva Convention for Dogs would have much of an effect - it doesn't seem to have much effect world-wide sometimes.

I related the discussion to my DH who had a brilliant idea (being a brilliant DH that he is). One needs to look to Teflon bullets :D . So rather than banning e-collars, we should try to make the manufacturers comply with certain standards. Basically so that the maximum "juice" cannot constitute torture for the dog. All those who tried the zap know that you don't need much to get jolted out of whatever you're doing. Brilliant, no? :D

Maja

For anyone who may be curious, I did write an email to the organizers of the recent AHBA trial, where I saw a stock handler with an e-collar on their dog. I wasn't sure what response I'd get, but today I got a brief, cordial reply that no, they do not condone e-collars at their events and they were sorry this slipped by their notice. (In their defense, they were preoccupied by a full trial with a foreign judge who required a translator.)

So ... I may or may not ever know what comes of it, but it's nice that my complaint was welcomed and responded to. If nothing else, I feel pretty sure there'll never be an e-collar at that trial again.

One small step ... :)

~ Gloria

Good for you, Gloria, to have made that point in a polite manner and to have gotten a positive response.

Now, if only I had had the experience and courage to speak up (and leave) when I was in a situation where those collars were routinely accepted and used...

Got another email from them today, saying that behavior will NOT happen at one of their trials, again.

More than that I can't ask! :)

Sue, I hear you. I can look back over the years and see instances where I wish my tendency to avoid confrontation hadn't prompted me to turn away, rather than speak up. I may have escaped the chance of an uncomfortable situation, but at what cost to a dog who could have used a champion? So, yeah.

If nothing else, this conversation is encouraging me to find some backbone and be more pro-active, in the future. :) Sometimes change is made one brick at a time.

~ Gloria

For anyone who may be curious, I did write an email to the organizers of the recent AHBA trial, where I saw a stock handler with an e-collar on their dog.

I am so proud of you, Gloria. Well done! I'll bet their responses have made you feel really good. Deservedly so.

Archived