BC Boards

Really nice male in need of home

I was contacted today by a family over in Iowa Falls that picked up a stray in town. They were able to track down his owner but his owner does not want him back. He is really good natured and not high drive, I could get him to engage the sheep and he was willing to try to control them but he's not real keen though I suppose if someone really wanted to put time into him they could get more out of him. My feeling is that his calling is to be someones companion.

IMG_8454.JPG

There are no shelters here in Hardin County, there is a vet clinic that will hold dogs for a while but will destroy them after a short period of time. The people that have him can keep him a little while longer but they really need to get him rehomed or into foster care.

Here is the info that we know about him:

http://bordercollieinneed.blogspot.com/

Looks like a really, really nice dog. :(

Has anyone contacted MidWest BCR to see if they can take him, or at least courtesy list him?

http://www.mwbcr.org/

ETA: I didn't bust out MapQuest, so no idea the logistics, but these two say they also serve Iowa:

http://www.nebraskabordercollierescue.com/

http://www.wibordercollierescue.com/

My, he is a cutie....it's only 1,300 km from my house to Iowa Falls. :)

Is it possible that the Border collie rescue in Michigan might take him? or possibly the Manitoba, Canada rescue (Hulls Haven, I think?)

BethAnn is covering some courtesy listings with the area rescues.

I was just reviewing the video I took of him, he really is a easy guy, especially for someone that has had border collies before. Just not real interested in stock, I could have got him excited and promoted chase but that's not our style, worked more on position and requirement which also tested his temperment, he really didn't show anything negative. He did start to initiate some walk ups and he also picked up stopping at the right time, he could be patterned trained as a low level herding dog if someone really understood how to accomplish it and may even pick up some natural control tendencies.

The plan is to get his info out there and try for a forever home over the next couple/few days, if there are no takers hopefully a rescue will be willing to take him in. I don't know if anyone would be able to get him moved via the rescue system to other parts of the country as a courtesy, would be worth a try, he would need to be vetted and our vet would neuter for $72.00. The vet in Iowa Falls is on the expensive side, the people that are caring for him were going to get it done but they were quoted near $150.00.

I have to go through the video and shorten it into smaller segments, they taped the entire session which ended up being over 1/2 hour including some time at the end where I had Ricky move the sheep around him giving him an opportunity to engage. He did some but then decided to lie down and watch.

Let me get some chores done quick outside and then I will get some video posted

For some reason, that sort of face really tugs at my heart. I hope you find him a good home, and he's very lucky that you are working on helping with that.

Very best wishes!

Thanks for the video, Debbie. Such a handsome boy! I can see working folks not considering him after seeing that, but I think he's interested enough in the stock that someone like me, a "hobby herder" (heaven forbid!), might want to take the time and see what develops. If not, maybe an agility or pet home.

"hobby herder" (heaven forbid!)

Your funny.. In all honesty I would be willing to bet that lower level AHBA, ASCA & AKC held in arenas or small formats on really easy to handle sheep where you could go with him and help keep his interest would be about his limit. If the sheep get very far from him he looses interest and sight of them, sees other stuff instead so I don't see him being able to go very far on an outrun if he was to learn how to do one.

We see alot of dogs like this one in this area,(northern Iowa) pretty much what you may typically end up with when you pick up a farm raised puppy.

Here is another video of him, I had Ricky move the sheep around to see how he would respond to another dog working, I think that he thought that Ricky was too serious.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=248515391866984

• 4 weeks later...

I see on the web that he is adopted now, and a very good thing, too, because one look at that face and I wanted to drive from Arizona to Iowa to get him and bring him home. He reminds me ever so much of my Jester; that good-natured and sweet personality.

(as if I need another dog!)

D'Elle

I know of another for you...this one has been trialed at novice level and could go further is someone was strict with him, has some ability but a bit strong minded, would kick butt at AHBA, ASCA and many AKC herding events, 1/2 brother to a past cattledog nursery finals champion. Also has his basics for agility, neutered male, he is south of here about 1/2 hour. House broke, crate trained, just looking for a home.

Archived