BC Boards

So what does it take to be a sheep farmer?

Ollysmom

I'm very curious. What entails sheep farming? Is it worth it? I'd love to hear from real sheep owners. Do you like owning sheep? Pro's and Cons? How did you get started? How many roughly do you own? Do you use them for meat or wool? Organic or no? How do you sell your product? What breed of sheep? Feel free to tell me anything or all about it!

Anyone with alpacas?

We just have sheep for dog training and more as a hobby, profitability is not the same as it would be if we had them as a busines, so really I'm not one to answer, but here is a good series of articles from Living the Country Life:

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/animals/livestock/thinking-of-raising-sheep/

One of the best things about living in the country is that you've got room for animals. If you're looking to add some livestock to your acreage, sheep are a good option. And if you have kids, taking care of sheep is a great way to teach them responsibility. But like any new venture, it's important to do your research before getting started. Betsy Freese knows a thing or two about raising sheep -- listen to her conversation with another sheep expert.

Radio interview source: Dr. Dan Morrical, professor of animal science, Iowa State University

Learn more about raising sheep:

Thinking of raising sheep?: Browse a checklist of things to consider before you decide to begin a sheep enterprise, and learn the basics of sheep care and feeding.

Sheep production and management: This extensive manual covers sheep selection and breeding, nutrition, health, space requirements, lambing, and more.

Sheep management schedule: Profitable sheep production requires the application of certain well-timed management practices to ensure the overall well-being of the flock.

IMHO alpacas are like a pyramid scheme. The money is in selling breeding stock. First breeders in North America are making money because they have developed a network of buyers of their stock and are selling a lifestyle.

There is no market for meat (animals are too expensive)

The fiber market doesn't seem to be easily accessible

I'm very curious. What entails sheep farming?

Keeping sheep for fun and profit (sorry, couldn´t resist)

Is it worth it?

Well it seems we´ll be breaking above "even" this year, but you aren´t expecting a decent hourly wage i hope...But that´s just financially speaking, I find it very giving in other aspects.

I'd love to hear from real sheep owners. Do you like owning sheep?

Love it, or I wouldn´t be at it, see also "is it worth it"

How did you get started? How many roughly do you own?

Rented the farm of retiring neighbours, and took over their small flock, 35 ewes and two rams back then. The flock has grown to over a 100 ewes, 5 rams ( estimate for next winter).

Do you use them for meat or wool?

Both but the breeding goal and most money is the meat.

Organic or no?

No, doesn´t get acknowledged here ( your organic meat goes on the big pile) and therefor not worth the trouble. Sheep farming here is pretty natural here.

How do you sell your product?

meat: Local slaughterhouse, wool goes to the "istex" company.

What breed of sheep?

The only breed available; Icelandic (guess where we live ;) )

I'm very curious. What entails sheep farming? Is it worth it? I'd love to hear from real sheep owners. Do you like owning sheep? Pro's and Cons? How did you get started? How many roughly do you own? Do you use them for meat or wool? Organic or no? How do you sell your product? What breed of sheep? Feel free to tell me anything or all about it!

Anyone with alpacas?

There's a sheep production board based in the US that might interest you:

Link

There's a fair bit of difference between running sheep for a living and keeping sheep as a hobby, so it might be worth being a bit more specific about what you're looking into.

Desire

Hard work ethic

Willing to get very dirty, sore and tired for little money.

Willing to put up with neighbors that complain if your LGD's bark

Or if they think a muck heap is unsightly with the gentrification of the country.

Willing to risk, because you either have a couple of thousand head and use the normal systems in place or get very creative with a few hundred and sell literally everything you can by yourself and process it except the USDA meat by youself. Wool into clothing- hides into rugs, fat/lanolin into soap This means you are working for less money than most folks per hour.

Benefits- Best job in the world. Meet great wonderful people.

All this plus Sheepdogs

Archived