BC Boards

How big are your collies?

Both my dogs are from working lines and I think that they are both right around 19 inches tall. Daisy weighs in at about 34#s and Devon is about 32#s. Daisy is longer bodied than Devon. And Devon is very lean... perhaps a little on the thin side for some people's taste.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piper is just under 18" and just over 30lbs - I keep her slightly heavy because she tends to pass out when exercising if I keep her too lean. I prefer her just under 30lbs.

Tweed is just over 20" and weighs around 40lbs.

Dexter is about 400 feet tall and weighs something like 6 ounces. Or maybe he's 22+" tall and weighs 40ish lbs.

The WooTWoo cannot be measured or weighed, as it/they defy the laws of gravity, physics and dimension, since it/they are really just one dog in two bodies.

Spring is 15" and 19lbs, but she's getting a little pot belly because I've never had a tiny dog before and I keep overfeeding her.

ETA - Piper came from the SPCA, Tweed came from rescue, Dexter came from rescue but is out of well known working lines down both sides, Spring isn't even a border collie and the WooTWoo sprang forth from the bowels of Hell, and are probably the harbingers of the Armageddon.

RDM

I'm surprised to see how many large dogs there are out of working lines. It makes me feel better about my own gigantor -- As many people in the sporting world are always asking me, "What's she mixed with?" because of her size. Heck if I know. Mom was dumped at a shelter and is obviously bc. Guessing dad was another farm dog, most likely bc, but who the heck knows. I call her bc because I can't for the life of me figure what else she might be mixed with.

So anyhow, Secret is a little over 23" and just weighed in at 49 lbs last Friday.

post-11040-028344700 1317825376_thumb.jpg

post-11040-085972800 1317825348_thumb.jpg

Mary, you think Ollie is a mix or maybe not even BC?? We need to see some photographic evidence of that. Just sayin'. ;)

You mean this guy?

267022_2010727441343_1638454914_1918446_4481891_o-1-1.jpg

Ollie is very smart and athletic and is very similar to Charlie, personality-wise. But, I think he's a mix. He could have bc in him, but his bouncy, happy-go-lucky style makes me think it's more likely that he has some Aussie in him. Or, perhaps he's part Tigger the Tiger.

I'm surprised to see how many large dogs there are out of working lines.

Normally I would expect a working dog to be somewhere between 35 and 45 pounds. Like anything else to do with physical characteristics, weight and height are on a bell curve and there will be outliers at either end. I don't think of the typical size range of a working bred border collie as large. It's *normal.* Super small border collies are atypical, not the other way around. (And looks can be deceiving: my tiny border collie weighs more than one would imagine just from looking at her. My big fluffy male weighs a lot less than anyone would imagine just by looking at him....). Anyway, I just wanted to point out that size is relative, but if the majority of working bred dogs fall into a particular size range, then that range should be the one that is considered normal, dontcha think? ;)

J.

I'm surprised to see how many large dogs there are out of working lines. It makes me feel better about my own gigantor -- As many people in the sporting world are always asking me, "What's she mixed with?" because of her size. Heck if I know. Mom was dumped at a shelter and is obviously bc. Guessing dad was another farm dog, most likely bc, but who the heck knows. I call her bc because I can't for the life of me figure what else she might be mixed with.

So anyhow, Secret is a little over 23" and just weighed in at 49 lbs last Friday.

post-11040-028344700 1317825376_thumb.jpg

post-11040-085972800 1317825348_thumb.jpg

She's so pretty, and I don't see how she could be anything other than BC. Is she b/w? In the one shot she looks b/w but the jumping shot she looks different. Like the odd color that my Will is, kind of a seal or heavily shaded sable.

Females I have owned have ranged from 28 to 37 lbs. However, I have a pup right now who is looking like she will be big, maybe over 40 lbs when she stops growing. She was already taller than her dam and weighed 30 lbs at 5.5 months old (and NOT overweight).

Males have ranged from 37 to 55 lbs. The bigger male was sired by a dog registered as John but called Chunky by his original owner and breeder. His lines have some really big dogs in there. He reached his top weight during training for dog sledding races. When we stopped racing and he lost muscle mass he dropped down to closer to 50 lbs.

I don't know any heights on my dogs. None are overweight; Kyzer is downright skinny

Pippin: tall, female, 38 lbs

Tansy: small, female, 28 lbs

Hamish, medium, male, 45 lbs

Rafe, medium, male, 50 lbs

Kyzer, tall, male, 47 lbs

Lad, small, male, 36 lbs

Collectively, they eat about 22lbs of kibble a week :P

I guess my boy to be about 21" and he is 43 lbs and definitely has no extra weight on him. Most people tell me he is too thin and my vet says he is just perfect! He is assumed to be from working lines but was a rescue so not totally sure.

She's so pretty, and I don't see how she could be anything other than BC. Is she b/w? In the one shot she looks b/w but the jumping shot she looks different. Like the odd color that my Will is, kind of a seal or heavily shaded sable.

Thanks! :D The lighting was off in that arena, I believe, as even my solid black lab mix had some curious coloring at that trial. She is black/white, with the exception of some brown fading in her ear hair and those curious racing stripes on her hind legs.

Collectively, they eat about 22lbs of kibble a week :P

No idea how much food mine go through, but I buy it in 500 lb loads. :rolleyes: It's much cheaper to get it that way because I can split a shipment (1000 lbs minimum) with someone and pay wholesale prices. Just one of the many joys of owning a lot of dogs.

No idea how much food mine go through, but I buy it in 500 lb loads. :rolleyes: It's much cheaper to get it that way because I can split a shipment (1000 lbs minimum) with someone and pay wholesale prices. Just one of the many joys of owning a lot of dogs.

Wow, how long does it take to go through it all?

And how do you store it? I always find if I pick up larger bags of kibble it starts going stale. Yuck.

You mean this guy?

267022_2010727441343_1638454914_1918446_4481891_o-1-1.jpg

Ollie is very smart and athletic and is very similar to Charlie, personality-wise. But, I think he's a mix. He could have bc in him, but his bouncy, happy-go-lucky style makes me think it's more likely that he has some Aussie in him. Or, perhaps he's part Tigger the Tiger.

That face!! Love the eyes and those freckles are made for kissing.

Anyhow, Danny is 22.5" and 48 lbs. He's tall and long. I love it when he stretches...he goes on forever. LOL!

Perhaps you've never seen this image of her, which, although I try hard not to overly anthropomorphize the dogs, just screams princess/diva to me

DSCF0076_2.jpg

I am humbled, apologetic, nay horrified! at my slip. HRH Princess Pippin, I apologize for ever thinking you were a boy because boys, of course, are gross.

I am humbled, apologetic, nay horrified! at my slip. HRH Princess Pippin, I apologize for ever thinking you were a boy because boys, of course, are gross.

Well, indeed.

Lesser humans than you have made the same mistake, but Pippin is magnanimous in her acceptance of gender apologies and I'm sure she'll accept yours too once she awakens from her post-repast nap.

Wow, how long does it take to go through it all?

And how do you store it? I always find if I pick up larger bags of kibble it starts going stale. Yuck.

Depends on how hard the dogs are working. I just opened a new bag on Sunday. I'll keep track and let you know when we run out. ;)

All the unopened bags are stored in sealed containers in a cool closet under the stairs. The bag I have opened is stored in a smaller container in the kitchen. I've not had a problem with it going stale because I go through it so fast. It comes directly from the manufacturer, so I know it wasn't sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse for months.

The only times I have problems with food going stale was when I was feeding one dog a different kibble. I had to buy smaller bags or divide it into gallon sized baggies and freeze it, otherwise it would become rancid before the one dog could consume an entire package.

Hannah is 19.5 inches and when she was younger weighed 33lbs. She's 13 now and last time I weighed her she was 39lbs but I can't see anywhere where the extra weight is. Her lightest was 30lbs last year when she had some health issues but she was slightly too thin then.

Tess is 8 months and 30lbs and has the appearance of being tiny but I think she's only about 1-1.5 inches shorter than Hannah.

jeeze Happy is tiny, all the other dogs her height are nearly twice her weight lol, I knew she was a big weird that way, but yeesh, like nobody come close to her height/weight ratio :lol: doesnt help her food intake any though, she eats like a horse, about 2 1/2lbs of raw per day and she is only 29lbs...and thats down from closer to 4lbs per day when I was struggling with getting her weight up!

Archived